A Beginner's Companion

Feb 3, 2010
Perth
Good Morning Theory11.

I've been playing with the idea of releasing a free-to-download pdf. of practical, real world self working card tricks. In the hope that people can use this pdf. (5 or 6 effects) as their learning the basics from Royal Road or Tarbell's they can have this little gem of self working effects so they can really work on building up confidence when performing and showmanship, and over time incorporate some sleights into the effects so they grow as the performer grows.
My intention isn't to reveal magic (I still have respect for the art) which is why all the effects are going to be ones that are already freely available on site like ScamSchool or found on the 1st page of a google search, and of course ill seek out permission where possible and provide credit where credit.

But my question to you guys is, would this be something the magic community approves of?
And if you have any questions or feedback just send me a message.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I think that there's nothing wrong with the principle of compiling a few self-working tricks and making them available in a free PDF. There are two important questions, however, which I believe dictate whether or not this is a good thing for the magic community.

First, who is your market? Is this intended for beginner magicians, laypeople who just want to learn a trick or two, or people who don't want to perform but want to know secrets? How would you distribute and promote it so it predominantly went to the group you were aiming it at?

And second, how would it be written? Would it be presented in an Ellusionist-style "Check out these cool tricks, you can learn today, easy-to-do, underground, blah, blah, blah...", or would your style be more sober and measured; "Hugardesque", if you will? Would it be simply a bald recitation of effects and methods, or would you be looking to teach something above and beyond the tricks themselves?

Anyway, you don't have to answer those questions to me, or even to the community at large, but I would suggest that you should answer them in your own mind before embarking on such a project.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results