A Little Conversation With a Kid Who Reveals Magic on YouTube

May 31, 2008
Update!

You won't believe this! I actually made a difference!

Yes, you heard me right. The kid who I sent the message to is no longer doing tutorials. He has taken down all of his tutorial videos and is now making videos of only the tricks. I couldn't believe it either. He is still doing tutorials of cuts, but I don't consider that quite as bad.

Sep 2, 2007
yay! also: for not giving his name it's just plain RESPECT. if he had given his name he would have been spammed by alot of us.

Mar 29, 2008
daveygs magic - I don't know who you are...but I am SO ****ING PROUD of you!!

Not because you convinced the kid to take it down, or that it is proof that one person speaking out can change someone's mind - and that we should ALL speak out against exposure...but that you made a stance about what you believe...and shame on the rest...what we SHOULD ALL BELIEVE - exposure does hurt magic.

I hate when people say - "Why should I say anything, it won't make a difference" - let's imagine that we had the mentality with a really bad thing - women abuse.

Yeah, my friend beats his wife...but I am not going to say anything, it won't make a difference. Way to stand up hero! Sir, you will change the world with your thinking - I challenged a group of guys to do what you did - 30 guys - more than half said...oh, this is stupid, it won't change anything.

After 1 month of surfing Facebook, Youtube and forums - each one of them came back and shared multiple stories on how they had people take down exposure videos.

Because it is not against the law - it is the only form of regulation we have - self regulation.

Speak out against it, from the heart like daveygs magic did, and you can make magic better for you and all of us.

The concealment of our secrets IS the art of magic - save the art!

http://media.photobucket.com/image/exposure%20magic/chewonitcomics/magic_exposed-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
May 31, 2008
daveygs magic - I don't know who you are...but I am SO ****ING PROUD of you!!

Not because you convinced the kid to take it down, or that it is proof that one person speaking out can change someone's mind - and that we should ALL speak out against exposure...but that you made a stance about what you believe...and shame on the rest...what we SHOULD ALL BELIEVE - exposure does hurt magic.

I hate when people say - "Why should I say anything, it won't make a difference" - let's imagine that we had the mentality with a really bad thing - women abuse.

Yeah, my friend beats his wife...but I am not going to say anything, it won't make a difference. Way to stand up hero! Sir, you will change the world with your thinking - I challenged a group of guys to do what you did - 30 guys - more than half said...oh, this is stupid, it won't change anything.

After 1 month of surfing Facebook, Youtube and forums - each one of them came back and shared multiple stories on how they had people take down exposure videos.

Because it is not against the law - it is the only form of regulation we have - self regulation.

Speak out against it, from the heart like daveygs magic did, and you can make magic better for you and all of us.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/exposure%20magic/chewonitcomics/magic_exposed-1.jpg

Thanks man. I honestly didn't think it would make a difference, but it did.

baller08

Banned
Sep 21, 2008
Is it? That's the real magic eh? And this is why you continue to be a victim of a 13 yr old boy with a web cam.

Let's not kid ourselves...as admirable as daveygs is for doing what he did...it only makes a select few here feel better. He hasn't changed anything.

Every time someone complains on YouTube it only makes those kids want to do it more to get a rise out of the "magician nerds". If we really want to make a difference we need to present ourselves in such a way that people actually identify and like us....that they perceive magic as cool and edgy. That is why Criss Angel has succeeded even though most in the community don't like him.

So...concealment is the art of magic, eh? So sad. And here is easy proof as to why it isn't.

I must have watched every David Copperfield special when I was a kid 15 or 20 times...at least. These days I know the secret to a lot of his illusions but it doesn't make me want to stop watching him. I think even the best of us, if an old David Copperfield show is on....we stop and watch. We just do. Everyone does because he's a great showman.

It's really sad that a little bit of exposure and you just run, whine, and complain...as if someone is stealing your self worth right from under your nose. But I guess they really are.

Jan 10, 2008
I'm glad you were able to make a difference. That just plain rocks! Also thank you to replying to my thread on the same subject

David

Sep 9, 2007
To be honest, I wasn't surprised by his reaction. And not because what he did was a sign of his maturity (which it is, but you'll see why that's irrelevant), but instead because of the confrontational manner in which you approached him.

If you check my post at http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?p=225527#post225527 , you'll see my personal suggestion on how to handle youtube exposure. We both said the same thing, but the way in which we said it was entirely different.

here's a metaphor: In that e-mail, you just performed the effect, no patter, you just wanted to reach the climax without any buildup. In your hurry to do so, you forgot to give it context, make it relevant. You need to frame it properly for the kid and give him the tools to understand why he shouldn't do it again. give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach him how to fish, he eats forever.

You've gotten a lot of positive responses here because of context - you're on a forum of magicians which understand the value of magic. But you need to understand, you aren't talking to someone with that mindset, so appealing to them as if they understood is where the breakdown in communication happened.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I hear these things everyday. And i see them on youtube everyday. I HATE IT!! But there is one good thing about this... If you see a trick being revealed, it just pushes us magicians to work harder and harder. Trust me, i HATE reveals, i DO NOT LIKE THEM!! But like i said before it just makes us wrok HARDER.

Hope that made sense... It did when i was writing it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results