A Little Curiosity....

Oct 13, 2012
Lithuania
I study the history of art but yet, I have found things that I never noticed before :). For example, I studied the "Milkmaio" by Vermeer alone a month or so ago but did not notice those "signs" :D. Also, the one with King and Queen is pretty intriguing.
What did you search for to find this post?

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I study the history of art but yet, I have found things that I never noticed before :). For example, I studied the "Milkmaio" by Vermeer alone a month or so ago but did not notice those "signs" :D. Also, the one with King and Queen is pretty intriguing.
What did you search for to find this post?

Nothing..I just read cracked very often and came across this...

Aug 31, 2007
That picture is rad - playing cards have lots of weirdness going on. The Jack of Clubs is the only card besides the King, Queen and Jack of Spades, that is looking to the right. Why is he the only non-spade looking that way? What is he looking at?? DID HE WITNESS THE QUEEN KILLING THE KING OF HEARTS?!

Conspiracies. Aliens. 42.

Jun 13, 2013
Hampton Roads, VA
I think I read somewhere that the four kings on bicycle cards are supposed to be based on four famous kings from history, one is Charlemagne but I don't remember the other ones. Kind of interesting, lots of cool history in Bicycle cards.

Aug 31, 2007
That article is pretty awesome - if only they covered that in my history class I may hace actually passed the class.

I love weird little deck facts - the whole 'slicing the Jerry's Nugget box to find the print date under the flap' was something straight out of Nationally Treasure. Anyone else know any weird/cool/Nicolas Cage facts about playing cards?

Sep 1, 2007
Science is an amazing thing.

A few more interesting facts as long as I'm still suffering from insomnia:

David Berglas and Marc Paul are the only two people on the planet who know the method to Berglas's Any Card at Any Number effect. That is also the exact same number of people who know:
-The location of Oliver Cromwell's head.
-The formula for Coca-Cola.
-The indigenous Mezoamerican language of Ayapaneco and the Northern European language of Ter Sami.

If you're into mysteries in general, the world provides plenty of those. For example, the Voynich manuscript is a 234 book written in a script that to this defies translation. The best anyone can figure is that it was written in Europe sometime in the first half of the 15th century. A letter attached to it is dated 1666. There is definitely enough structure to the writing to show that it does mean something. But I'll be damned if anyone knows what that is.

Similarly, consider the rongorongo of Rapanui (modern-day Easter Island). Carved on wood, it appears to be some sort of proto-writing that to this day defies any attempts at deciphering or translation. Very few pieces of it survived to the modern day, meaning the likelihood of ever finding the proverbial Rosetta Stone for this text is almost certainly zero.

How about the Yonaguni Monument off the coast of Japan? It's still hotly debated whether it's a sunken architectural structure or a natural formation. It's hard to investigate since the damn thing's at the bottom of the sea. All I can say is that finding it must have been interesting. When my brother was at an archeological dig in Belize, he got freaked out when he and his partner discovered a remarkably well-preserved dagger that almost literally fell into their laps, saying that if he heard voices whispered on the wind that night in a language he didn't understand, he was going to run like hell back to civilization. Now imagine being underwater and finding what looks like a giant sunken city. Yeah. I'll bet the water got curiously warmer around the diver at that moment.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Science is an amazing thing.

A few more interesting facts as long as I'm still suffering from insomnia:

David Berglas and Marc Paul are the only two people on the planet who know the method to Berglas's Any Card at Any Number effect. That is also the exact same number of people who know:
-The location of Oliver Cromwell's head.
-The formula for Coca-Cola.
-The indigenous Mezoamerican language of Ayapaneco and the Northern European language of Ter Sami.

If you're into mysteries in general, the world provides plenty of those. For example, the Voynich manuscript is a 234 book written in a script that to this defies translation. The best anyone can figure is that it was written in Europe sometime in the first half of the 15th century. A letter attached to it is dated 1666. There is definitely enough structure to the writing to show that it does mean something. But I'll be damned if anyone knows what that is.

Similarly, consider the rongorongo of Rapanui (modern-day Easter Island). Carved on wood, it appears to be some sort of proto-writing that to this day defies any attempts at deciphering or translation. Very few pieces of it survived to the modern day, meaning the likelihood of ever finding the proverbial Rosetta Stone for this text is almost certainly zero.

How about the Yonaguni Monument off the coast of Japan? It's still hotly debated whether it's a sunken architectural structure or a natural formation. It's hard to investigate since the damn thing's at the bottom of the sea. All I can say is that finding it must have been interesting. When my brother was at an archeological dig in Belize, he got freaked out when he and his partner discovered a remarkably well-preserved dagger that almost literally fell into their laps, saying that if he heard voices whispered on the wind that night in a language he didn't understand, he was going to run like hell back to civilization. Now imagine being underwater and finding what looks like a giant sunken city. Yeah. I'll bet the water got curiously warmer around the diver at that moment.

Let me refresh your memory my friend...

http://www.cracked.com/article/147_7-secrets-only-two-living-people-know-for-some-reason/

http://www.cracked.com/article_19358_5-ridiculous-secrets-only-two-living-people-know-part-2.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_16871_6-insane-discoveries-that-science-cant-explain.html

enjoy!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Sure, go ahead and steal my thunder.

Honestly, I had hoped people would be a little more interested in the Voynich manuscript and the rongorongo, but then not everyone is as fascinated by languages as I am. Also, I've just been really interested in learning about pre-colonial Polynesian culture lately.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Sure, go ahead and steal my thunder.

Honestly, I had hoped people would be a little more interested in the Voynich manuscript and the rongorongo, but then not everyone is as fascinated by languages as I am. Also, I've just been really interested in learning about pre-colonial Polynesian culture lately.

The Voynich manuscript has always fascinated me. Oddly, I was thinking about it yesterday.

As for the city off of Japan ... clearly a colony of R'lyeh.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results