About yesterday part three.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I can understand your point as I take a lot of pride in my appearance when I'm performing so as you say people see me as professional, slick and invested in who I am and what I do. Do you think that when a lay person see's a deck of designer cards though, they honestly appreciate/understand what they are, or do they just see them as a deck of cards and nothing more?

100% of people who don't collect cards or care about cards will see them as just a fancy deck of cards. No matter how most people online try to justify to themselves. 100% of lay people will just see them as a cards, and why would you want them to think the cards are special. They didn't hire you because you brought a special deck of cards to the gig, they hired you because of YOU. People that look too much into the whole "I brought a special deck of cards just for YOU." Really don't understand how the real wold operates outside of magic, and quite frankly they may never will.

There is also another reason custom decks can be bad. 1. They cost way more than regular decks. 2. They don't make regular gaffs for them. 3. They tend to run out of print after awhile. There is a reason why Tally Hos, Bee's and regular bikes have been around for god knows how long and why most custom decks tend to stop being printed after awhile.

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
100% of people who don't collect cards or care about cards will see them as just a fancy deck of cards. No matter how most people online try to justify to themselves. 100% of lay people will just see them as a cards, and why would you want them to think the cards are special. They didn't hire you because you brought a special deck of cards to the gig, they hired you because of YOU. People that look too much into the whole "I brought a special deck of cards just for YOU." Really don't understand how the real wold operates outside of magic, and quite frankly they may never will.

There is also another reason custom decks can be bad. 1. They cost way more than regular decks. 2. They don't make regular gaffs for them. 3. They tend to run out of print after awhile. There is a reason why Tally Hos, Bee's and regular bikes have been around for god knows how long and why most custom decks tend to stop being printed after awhile.

I completely agree I don't think that using a deck of designer cards add's anything in the same way as using regular cards takes anything away from a performance, as laypeople just see a deck of cards.

Sep 2, 2007
London
They didn't hire you because you brought a special deck of cards to the gig, they hired you because of YOU.

People didn't hire you because you dress well, they hired you because of YOU. Surely you wouldn't argue against a performer dressing appropriately for their character and the surroundings, though.

People didn't hire you because your routines are your own original creations, they hired you because of YOU. Surely aspirations to creativity aren't to be dissuaded, though.

People didn't hire you because you use an elegant Colibri gold lighter to light your flash paper with rather than using a cheap plastic Bic thing, they hired you for YOU. Surely attention to details of props and costuming is professional, though, isn't it?

People didn't hire you because they like your hair, they hired you for YOU. Isn't turning up to a paid engagement with unkempt and unwashed hair discourteous, though?

My point is that it doesn't matter whether any particular detail of your theatrical choices is a dealbreaker. I think that YOU, the performer, are there to put on the best possible show, paying close attention to every detail. If that can be facilitated by a make-up choice, a costuming choice, or the choice of an appropriately designed deck of cards over a standard one, then it should be done. This attitude of "the spectators don't care, so I don't need to" seems to have a flaw in it. Most viewers of, say, Downton Abbey don't know the details of Edwardian fashions. Does that mean that the makers of the show should take the attitude of "they aren't watching for the costumes, they're watching for the story" and disregard those details?

Last edited by a moderator:

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
There's a lot of talk that has nothing to do with my question about the mystery box. I am very upset about this. You are all fined 250 elite points.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
We've covered that, Formula. There's a letter, 12 decks of paper-covered cards, and some ephemeral mystery. Physically, you know what's in that box.

Apr 17, 2013
There's a lot of talk that has nothing to do with my question about the mystery box. I am very upset about this. You are all fined 250 elite points.

I'm sorry you will have to make a new thread to talk about how we are not talking about what you were talking about in the first place

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
All I see are a few speculations, ones that would be terribly disappointing.

I would start a new thread but I don't want to get fined like you guys.

Apr 17, 2013
and to think we were called names and nay sayers for saying there was nothing there other than decks of cards and a pine box

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
Has anyone deciphered it yet? I have only heard three references to the code.

Are you talking about the code for the lock? I don't own the box but I'm pretty sure they gave away the code to the lock in one of the marketing photos, if I'm right about that, then that's another non-mystery about the box.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results