ACR Routine

where to start, oh god where to start.

chances are, you just created that routine, because its rough, and when i say rough, i mean Britney spears after a hard night of drinking rough. Or a butch lesbian having to look at a d*** rough. That tenkai stuff was just, laughable. Just you know you should have put lol right when you did that wonderful tenkai, cause you know thats just what i did. And the whole patter thing.... i would say its a good attempt but, um, no.

The lifting of the placemat, despite all you may think, was unnecessary, and, you guessed it, suspicious.

So just what have you done for us today? Showed us what lack of thinking and practice can do. But through the tears and the laughs, I think you will show us all just what not to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

chances are, you just created that routine, because its rough, and when i say rough, i mean Britney spears after a hard night of drinking rough. Or a butch lesbian having to look at a d*** rough. That tenkai stuff was just, laughable. Just you know you should have put lol right when you did that wonderful tenkai, cause you know thats just what i did. And the whole patter thing.... i would say its a good attempt but, um, no.

The lifting of the placemat, despite all you may think, was unnecessary, and, you guessed it, suspicious.

So just what have you done for us today? Showed us what lack of thinking and practice can do. But through the tears and the laughs, I think you will show us all just what not to be.

Okay listen up,

Now let me talk about what is going on here,
Now the placement of the box is necessary IRL because it provides misdirection and dual movements that the spectators can't follow, you have one going this way and one going the other way. The card under the box is an incredibly hard thing to accomplish for the all seeing eye with out exposing the method.

SEcond of all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pawVNOx_pCs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMVKiYkKKa4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy9IM79WGUA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbQyuC18MGM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWVGGgxJcfM

Houdini was called the king of cards but he stunk at card magic, he was famous for his Showmanship skills.

I am quite perturbed that you just put a very disrespectful post up, if you are not going to give advice do not post.

EDIT:

A friend linked me to a very good video illustrating why there were so many movements.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IilHT17D7Xo

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Okay listen up,

Now let me talk about what is going on here,
Now the placement of the box is necessary IRL because it provides misdirection and dual movements that the spectators can't follow, you have one going this way and one going the other way. The card under the box is an incredibly hard thing to accomplish for the all seeing eye with out exposing the method.

I am quite perturbed that you just put a very disrespectful post up, if you are not going to give advice do not post.

This may sound harsh to you, but please keep in mind that, the more we coddle someone, the less likely it becomes that the person will truly be able to understand the flaws in his performance. Coddling someone only patronizes them.

Think about this would you please. The post on your youtube page, the posts on this forum, all agree that your ACR is extremely flawed. The posts for the most part did not go into too great of detail as to how it is flawed, but some good points were made which you completely dismissed, and or blatantly said were wrong.

The movement of the card box is necessary you claim. To a spectator however, they would think, "if it is in the way, why did he put it there in the first place." Or perhaps, "why is he making such a big deal out of moving a card box so that it is not in the way," and finally! my favorite! "if the box was in the way to the side of the mat, how is it not in the way between his two arms close to his body where I can conveniently not see it anymore due to the fact his arms are covering it?"

So, I understand from your point of view how you say, the box goes one way, but the deck goes the other, so it is perfect misdirection for card to under box... however, theory and actuality are greatly different, and I suggest you take a look at...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7-TZfloD6Y
It is all in Japanese, but starting from around 1:35, you will see his Card to under box. He does it quite well, not perfect, but very well. As you can see from the beginning of the trick, he spreads the cards on the table several times, and "accidently" hits the card box with his left hand several times while doing so, adding the perfect cover for his plant (w/o any unneeded movements).

Getting to your crazy spazmatic movements now. You claim that there is reason for them. Yes, there could be reasoning behind the movements. But honestly, if I had never met you and I saw this performance, I would think either, "this kid has ADD," "this kid had too much caffein before the show," or "he has parkinson's disease and can't keep his hands still."

Your job as a magician, is not just to assume that your actions will go unnoticed, and your job is to not just "believe" what you think the audience will think about your actions, so that you can justify your hand movements. Your job is to LEARN human behavior, and adapt your routine to MATCH human behavior and psychology.

Trust me. I know you will want to discredit everything that is being said to you because you have worked a long time on this routine. But, please don't. We are not attacking your technique or choice of techniques. We are not attacking your skill as a magician. We are telling you that there are things about performance that you are gravely misunderstanding.

My biggest pointer to you is. Do not change your routine. Work on each phase until it is perfect. Until you can do all the sleights 99 out of 100 times perfectly, so that your hand movements will disappear. I will tell you why this is important.

Take the classic pass for an example. Now, the pass should usually not be done under spotlight while your hands are being burnt. However, if you do use the pass in these conditions, which will look less suspicious and more natural to someone who should not be suspecting anything: 1- a pass where your hands barely move at all, or 2- a pass with so much hand and arm movement, it looks like you are having a spasm. ??

1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1MD...E3CF6A81B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6

2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxqjngiq0eM&feature=related

Your goal as a magician, should make it seem like you are not doing anything out of the ordinary with the cards. If you possessed real magic, you wouldnt have to move all your body parts around like a flailing ADD, drugg-ed up octopus out of water... you would only have to put the card in the middle, snap your fingers, and it would be on top again. Thus, you should do everything in your power to make it look like that is all you are doing.

I think you have a good idea on a progression for your ACR. and honestly, if you spend a solid 6 months working on it to perfection, you will have quite a good table version ACR that you can be prowd of.

Good luck.

This may sound harsh to you, but please keep in mind that, the more we coddle someone, the less likely it becomes that the person will truly be able to understand the flaws in his performance. Coddling someone only patronizes them.

Think about this would you please. The post on your youtube page, the posts on this forum, all agree that your ACR is extremely flawed. The posts for the most part did not go into too great of detail as to how it is flawed, but some good points were made which you completely dismissed, and or blatantly said were wrong.

The movement of the card box is necessary you claim. To a spectator however, they would think, "if it is in the way, why did he put it there in the first place." Or perhaps, "why is he making such a big deal out of moving a card box so that it is not in the way," and finally! my favorite! "if the box was in the way to the side of the mat, how is it not in the way between his two arms close to his body where I can conveniently not see it anymore due to the fact his arms are covering it?"

So, I understand from your point of view how you say, the box goes one way, but the deck goes the other, so it is perfect misdirection for card to under box... however, theory and actuality are greatly different, and I suggest you take a look at...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7-TZfloD6Y
It is all in Japanese, but starting from around 1:35, you will see his Card to under box. He does it quite well, not perfect, but very well. As you can see from the beginning of the trick, he spreads the cards on the table several times, and "accidently" hits the card box with his left hand several times while doing so, adding the perfect cover for his plant (w/o any unneeded movements).

Getting to your crazy spazmatic movements now. You claim that there is reason for them. Yes, there could be reasoning behind the movements. But honestly, if I had never met you and I saw this performance, I would think either, "this kid has ADD," "this kid had too much caffein before the show," or "he has parkinson's disease and can't keep his hands still."

Your job as a magician, is not just to assume that your actions will go unnoticed, and your job is to not just "believe" what you think the audience will think about your actions, so that you can justify your hand movements. Your job is to LEARN human behavior, and adapt your routine to MATCH human behavior and psychology.

Trust me. I know you will want to discredit everything that is being said to you because you have worked a long time on this routine. But, please don't. We are not attacking your technique or choice of techniques. We are not attacking your skill as a magician. We are telling you that there are things about performance that you are gravely misunderstanding.

My biggest pointer to you is. Do not change your routine. Work on each phase until it is perfect. Until you can do all the sleights 99 out of 100 times perfectly, so that your hand movements will disappear. I will tell you why this is important.

Take the classic pass for an example. Now, the pass should usually not be done under spotlight while your hands are being burnt. However, if you do use the pass in these conditions, which will look less suspicious and more natural to someone who should not be suspecting anything: 1- a pass where your hands barely move at all, or 2- a pass with so much hand and arm movement, it looks like you are having a spasm. ??

1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1MD...E3CF6A81B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6

2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxqjngiq0eM&feature=related

Your goal as a magician, should make it seem like you are not doing anything out of the ordinary with the cards. If you possessed real magic, you wouldnt have to move all your body parts around like a flailing ADD, drugg-ed up octopus out of water... you would only have to put the card in the middle, snap your fingers, and it would be on top again. Thus, you should do everything in your power to make it look like that is all you are doing.

I think you have a good idea on a progression for your ACR. and honestly, if you spend a solid 6 months working on it to perfection, you will have quite a good table version ACR that you can be prowd of.

Good luck.

Tokyo, I greatly appreciate your thorough analysis and actually am going to use the information that you have given me, thanks for the great link to the Japanese magician.

I was very unconfident in the placement of the card because it doesn't hit 100 hundred percent every time and flashes every now and then, which would be a bit exposure like. But seeing as that I was overly cautious it may have exposed it any way. But once again I did not dismiss your post and it is noted, I dismissed certain others posts because I felt like it was more of a belittling then actual criticism.

first of all. congrats on trying to work on a new acr. its hard to get something new.

alright. to the video
Over all. its more trying to be a magician fooler i think. because you try to make it look very impossible and use very difficult slights to do what you want. you can cut alot of that out.
this is what i would do to get result you want.

first Move. the moving of the joker to the top.
Im not sure what move you are using, but it deff has too much movement.
i have an idea what you are doing, but it can be made cleaner,
either you can use a cover pass, which would look nice (a dribble cover is real nice) you could also use a sidejog and then pull the card underneath.
a move i use if i need to get a card to the bottom.
Also, SLOW DOWN. you put the card in, do some weird movements, flip the deck over, then boom you take the card out. maybe put a spread in there. because that speed was too fast.

for the second move, where u cut the cards on the table. the cutting of the cards over and over take away from the magic. you cut then its on the top, why even do a table cut? just do an in the hands cut. or a table tap pass?
you are already cutting the cards to the spectator. so why cut on the table and then more in the hands?

moving the box. you dont really need to tell everyone you are moving the box cause its in the way. just move it then spread the deck . or try to spread, then move the box. give a reason why it is in the way, other than saying it is. because you have been doing the whole trick and it wasnt in your way.
so make a reason for moving the box.

work on the ego!
thats about it.
try to get the card out and grab it with the same fingers you are holding the card with.
and get your thumb in deeper.

other than the tenki, you can cop the card too,
use some lennert, just get rid of the card on the table. lap it
then you can easily show the other card,
you will obviously be doing this trick on a table so you can lap it.

If you want to skip that whole last section, get the card under the box before.
ego slip, then you can possibly snap the card under the box, . yea that is hard, but not impossible at all. and it will be coverd on your right side with your hand.
either that or you can tenki the card, then spread the deck then get the card under the box with the misdirection. like a normal card under box.

Shoot ogawa does a little work with getting a card under a mat.
he does it with the simple motion of readjusting the mat, he moves it forward just a little bit.
he doesnt really make any big deal of it.
you could also snap a little and fling the card under the mat so u dont havta bend the mat up.

maybe change the ending. instead of the card under box idea again, maybe a card thru table, but it gets stuck or something.
its kinda funny
or u can get the card under the mat on the other side, so you dont have to move the box again.
using your left hand and doing a different palm.

just work on it a bit more.
it'll come in time.

its a hard routine.
but you'll figure it all out in time!

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
i personally think the trick looks more fair to the audience if you force the joker at the beginning of the trick because then they will disregard the idea that you have another joker somewhere in the pack because they chose that card ....

Orb

Jul 19, 2009
Sweden

Alright kid, sexjokes at that level usually starts at 13, ends at 15, you're 1 year behind, time to get a grip. I'll undermine you since I'm just a year older, but many years older mentally. Now I don't want to start a fight, so don't come back with some reply about your abusive childhood or neglection at school. Just grow a pair and get some manner for your fellow magician who's supposed to be a friend.

Other than having to act a nanny, on topic I'll give you some of my thoughts.
My knowledge within card magic is quite low, even if I grasp the function of ACR routines you did some moves that lost me. But despite that, there was alot of suspiction. I think a big cause of that was because of the somewhat badly placed camera, giving you an angle that didn't benefit you. Another thing that could have benefited you would have been a larger view, where your face would have been shown as well so you could use your eyes for misdirection. Other than that it was a good job mate, I don't doubt that you could fool audiences.
Also, you should probably remove the jokers, subconciously audiences just don't trust them as much as other cards, unless they get to sign it.

Alright kid, sexjokes at that level usually starts at 13, ends at 15, you're 1 year behind, time to get a grip. I'll undermine you since I'm just a year older, but many years older mentally. Now I don't want to start a fight, so don't come back with some reply about your abusive childhood or neglection at school. Just grow a pair and get some manner for your fellow magician who's supposed to be a friend.

get your ego undercontrol, it was a joke, either take it or dont. And fellow magician? you have to give respect to get it.

abusive childhood, neglection at school? wow somebodys been watching a bit too much television.

Orb

Jul 19, 2009
Sweden
Get over yourself. This guy comes here, asks for help with his routine, and you prepare a wagon of **** and blast him with it. You are the typical youtube poster, ranting this stupid bull**** nonsense.
I don't know anything about you, but even if your sleight of hand is 3 times better than his, you will never be able to entertain an audience like him with that attitude, I sincerely hope you are a different person in real life.
Hopefully, you will set an example of how not to be.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
get your ego undercontrol, it was a joke, either take it or dont. And fellow magician? you have to give respect to get it.

abusive childhood, neglection at school? wow somebodys been watching a bit too much television.

Critics are appreciated, but you need to learn how to give them. You actuallly made some good points, but it sounds as if you had something personal against nexus. just saying :rolleyes:.

Nexus, I have always liked th way you perform, the angle in wich you recorded the routine was pretty bad, if you could record from the front or a better angle maybe we could give you a bit more advice sleight talking .

Get over yourself. This guy comes here, asks for help with his routine, and you prepare a wagon of **** and blast him with it. You are the typical youtube poster, ranting this stupid bull**** nonsense.
I don't know anything about you, but even if your sleight of hand is 3 times better than his, you will never be able to entertain an audience like him with that attitude, I sincerely hope you are a different person in real life.
Hopefully, you will set an example of how not to be.

no i just like ****ing around honestly, and if it pisses people like you off, its worth it.

Im not serious when i post on here because almost all of whats posted on here is complete bull****. prime example: this thread. So why not keep with the bull**** and have a few laughs to yourself along the way?

Ive seen his videos before, and guess what? they are typical youtube videos with the same typical bull****.

you dont know anything about me or what i do at all, so why not stick to your own guns and give "advice" to people who continually dont listen to it?

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
prime example: this thread. So why not keep with the bull**** and have a few laughs to yourself along the way?

First of all, learn how to read, he posted this thread not to brag about his super ninja skills, he posted so that we could give him some criticism,(thing that has been done so far) a thread about improvement?, I dont see how this is stupid in anyway.

Im not serious when i post on here because almost all of whats posted on here is complete bull****.?

Then dont contribute to the problem with more "bull***"

Have a nice day.

Jul 13, 2009

I guess what troll you do not have my respect and I have the sinking suspicion that you have lost many others respect as well.

Now onto the video, What in the world was going on? I couldn't see anything, perhaps a different camera angle?

Though I understand that the box was used as a reason to move it, but don't state it let your actions speak for themselves. In my mind it would have made more sense to start standing and then move down while doing the tenkai steal to move the box out of the way of your place mat. My two cents

First of all, learn how to read, he posted this thread not to brag about his super ninja skills, he posted so that we could give him some criticism,(thing that has been done so far) a thread about improvement?, I dont see how this is stupid in anyway.

Its stupid when you dont take the time to properly film and practice and produce a piece of art. What are you contributing to then? the bull**** art or youtube, i should think

Orb

Jul 19, 2009
Sweden
no i just like ****ing around honestly, and if it pisses people like you off, its worth it.

Im not serious when i post on here because almost all of whats posted on here is complete bull****. prime example: this thread. So why not keep with the bull**** and have a few laughs to yourself along the way?

Ive seen his videos before, and guess what? they are typical youtube videos with the same typical bull****.

you dont know anything about me or what i do at all, so why not stick to your own guns and give "advice" to people who continually dont listen to it?

I just wanted to thank you for being honest, I'm sure that looking back to this thread in awhile will show you why I have no need of replying anymore.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Okay so this is my ACR routine as of current and would like to know how to make it sharper, I am not talking better but how to make the sleights sharper, also if you are good with timing could you point out were my timing was off for certain moves.

= How do I improve my routine? I know its off on some point and Im looking for suggestions.

Its stupid when you dont take the time to properly film and practice and produce a piece of art. What are you contributing to then? the bull**** art or youtube, i should think

learn how to read

There you go. Talking like a "big man" will not make you one.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results