An actual triumph

Sep 27, 2013
What up thugs?

So, I've been thinking about the trick "Triumph" a lot lately. And, I've realized a huge problem I have with the effect. That problem is that you are creating a magician in trouble... where the magician never really is in trouble. I mean, sure, the cards are messed up, but does that really matter? I mean, if I pull the card out of my pocket, I don't care which way the deck orients, honestly. It's a fantastic, simple, clean effect, but I feel that it just doesn't make sense. So I created what follows. This is by no means a solution, in fact, I'm only going to give you all what the spectator sees. But I want your opinion based on effect alone. That's what's important here. There is only one actual "sleight" used in the whole routine, so what I'm going to tell you really is what the spectator sees. I only wish I had a camera as I really need to affect what words can only describe.

Often, I get asked how I started in magic. This usually leads to "Dude, what is your favorite trick? Like, of all time?" So I start to tell them about an old cat named David Verner and how he used to be able to take a deck of cards, shuffle them face up, and face down, then turn them all up again, in an instant, except for the spectator's selection. Then, I kind of whisper "and I think I've figured it out."

I have them select a card, say the three of hearts., and return it. I then turn half the cards face up, half face down, and shuffle them together. I then show the spectator that they are really shuffled. None of these displays, either. I really just show that they have been shuffled face up, into face down. With a SNAP of my fingers, all the cards turn face down, they are really spread, except for one, the Ace of Hearts. "Your card!" I triumphantly say, windmilling it on the table. I then look up at the spectators hauntingly contemptuous smile:

"Nope."

I then start to become more, and more dismayed, spreading threw the cards over and over again trying to find their card. Exasperated, I then close the deck, and ask for the value of the card. "Maybe if I know the value, I can turn it face up NOW." They say three, and I SNAP my fingers, and spread the deck. And I see 3 threes. The 3 of Diamonds, clubs,... and spades. "Well, it was more than I hoped for, is one of them yours?!?" I excitedly ask, the smile slowly returning, the magician persona brightening.

"Nope."

That ghastly smile has returned full force, the spectator literally laughing at me, goading me.

I spread through the deck again and again, to no avail.

"... So it was the heart?" I say, almost falling into my shoes. They confirm, and I SNAP my fingers, only to spread through, and find the Two, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Jack, Queen, and King of hearts. At this point I almost the throw these cards on the table, as I say: "THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE THAT YOU PICKED ONE OF THESE HEARTS IS THERE?! HUH?!"

"Nope."

I then close the deck, slam it in front of them,

"WELL THEN YOU DO IT! GO ON. SNAP YOUR FINGERS. SPREAD THE CARDS SEE WHAT YOU FIN-"

And there, lying the center of the see of face down cards, is one single face up one. The 3 of ****ing hearts. I walk away at that point, often leaving the cards, and the mystery, with the spectator.

So, what do you all think? Is this an actual effect that won't confuse the spectator's too much, or not astonish them? The few times I've gotten it to work have absolutely FLOORED people.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Oh, and if your asking about the presentation, I really love Willy Wonka, and his style of messing with people. It shows with my magic. But often I use that to have the spectator mess with me. That's just how I roll, man.

Jul 22, 2013
California
Wow, this sounds amazing. I only wish I could see it in action! It seems like something that wouldn't confuse at all, as the plot is simple- turn over the selected card. The constant changes really add to the original Triumph effect. I love it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results