An urgent problem: Does theory11 bring viruses?

Computer problems

(Speaking directly at the father of magicman2292) Look, Theory11 is a site that is completely reliable and a site you can trust. It contains no viruses, because if it did, i wouldn't be using it. As for not liking your son from practicing the art of magic, well, it's not fair. Magic is an art and a hobby which keeps your son occupied, that way, he will stay away from the bad things of the world (drugs, violence, gangs, and illegal actions). If you are not okay with your son performing magic, then give him a solid reason why he should not. My parents are overprotective as well and i am mature enough to understand why they worry so much, so i know what to avoid so i don't get in trouble with them. Furthermore, posting videos in the Theory 11 site is completely safe because that's the only place where he will post it.
Please let your son post his video and encourage him when he's performing magic.

Sincerely,
Alberto Gama
(otherwise known as Telekinesis 33.1)

Dear Father of the Person Who Started This Thread,

If you believe that sites like Theory11, youtube, Metecafe, Vimeo, Ellusionist, or Yahoo will give you Viruses then you know nothing about computers. Sorry to be harsh but you need to know facts before spitting out stuff like that. Also, please stop trying to stop your son from doing magic. It is a hobby, and I'm sure you had hobbies too. Would you tell him no drawing, if he was an artist. What about No Football if he liked sports. Well, I guess you just like to see your son rot inside without a hobby. Doing magic as a hobby keeps a lot of kids out of trouble, do you want your son to be a troublemaker.

Sorry to be harsh,
Dylan P.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I sympathise with the post starter, but I have to say that posts addressed directly to his father are unlikely at best to be seen, and at worst are a complete waste of time and will make the situation worse. Would you honestly care what someone here said, in his father's shoes? I do commend TK's post, however.

Hey guys...I'm Greg and I'm 15... I need to ask you guys a question. Not neccessarily magic-related, but it is about theory11 and video sharing sites... By reading this, please don't feel as if I'm coming to you for my personal problems, just asking your opinion on a certain subject.

Okay, today I asked my dad if I can make a video (for a theory11 battle) on his laptop (macbook pro...with the webcam) and he refused, then stated his reason...the reason was that if I make a video,I'm obviously gonna post it on the Internet... YouTube or vimeo. And he co plainer that those sites bring viruses. Funny part is that I've never heard of anyone that got a virus from those sites, and I keep telling him that sites like these don't bring viruses... I guess he's being a bit stubborn about this... another thing I'd like to address is that my dad absolutely HATES the fact that I practice and perform magic, so he's trying to get me to quit by keeping me away from computer where I can have access to theory11...he keeps saying theory11 brings viruses, as well as all the other magic sites I visit...

In Case you're wondering, I don't have a computer, because my dad smashed mine. We have a few co puters in the house, and I cannot touch a single one because he's afraid I will bring viruses... He is way too over protective and says it can only be used for homework...COME ON!!! How old am I??? 4??

So it seems that this thread has no point, but I'll state it now...I'm just asking for you guys to post your personal opinion on the "fact" that YouTube, vimeo, and theory11 bring viruses...I plan on showing this thread to my dad and hopefuly change his opinion... I guess he's stuck in the 70's where parents are supposed to overprotective on their kids and not let them do anything...

Thank you very much...please respond

P.s. I use AIM on meebo, and he bans me from IMing just because he doesn't like it...umm, can I please you're opinions on this fact?

Once again, thank you for taking the time to read this...

Macs don't get viruses...

Jul 15, 2008
Of all the responses on this thread, only Magicbysage is giving good advice. The rest is horrible and, if your dad actually reads this site, will likely get you grounded.

"Look, Dad. I asked a community of my friends and colleagues in magic and cardistry about this situation, and read what they say." Are you kidding me? If my stepkid did anything like this to me, he wouldn't see the outside of his room for a week.

I can tell you are mad, but you are also biased, so your question is phrased to make your father look like the ignorant bad guy. And because this site is populated mainly by teens, you're getting a lot of advice without experience.

Some tough love here: Grow up, and respect your father. You may not see eye to eye, but he has your best interests in mind.

Let me put it this way: My kid loves video games and Star Wars; that's what he loves, and what he does. If I see the quality of his school work, interaction with friends or anything else suffer because of those two things, they will be taken away so he can focus on what's important. He gets to play the games because he is responsible, trustworthy and an all-around good kid. If you show your father that you are able to meet your responsibilities and obligations, he'll be more tolerant of WHATEVER interests you.

You make a good point. Parents wishes should be respected, but it also should work both ways. Parents need to pay interest in what their children do during their spare time. As far as I can tell, the thread starter's father is not giving him good reasons as to why he wishes his son to stop doing magic.

You say many of us are giving advice without experience, but this just isn't true. I had my share of experiences having to explain to my parents the benefits of doing magic. My father didn't like it at first, but as I explained and later proved that Magic was a good hobby and was beneficial to my well being, he came to accept it. My father's main reasoning was that I spent too much time practicing magic, rather than studying. I therefore explained I gave up other things to magic, such as video games. And I also made sure I finish my homework first before I started practicing.

Also, your situation is a little different, because you probably won't tell your stepson to stop playing his video games for reasons such as getting viruses, etc. From what I can tell, you probably would spend time listening to what he has to say before taking it away from him. Luckily, as you mentioned, your stepson is a good kid, so you weren't forced to take anything away so far.

I think the thread starter did a good thing by coming here to receive our advice. Of course he will have to try and distinguish between the good ones and the bad ones, but nobody here knows his father better than he does. I hope that he will make the good decision based on his previous experience dealing with his own father.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results