Another Great Library Time...

Sep 22, 2007
ok so this morning i arrived early again at school. i went into the library and about 10 min after i showed up this girl came in and sat at the table in front of me. again i pulled out my cards and played around with them. she kinda looks at me with an interested look on her face and asks "do you do magic?" i reply "why yes yes i do." she says "show me sumthing". so i preformed stigmata which didnt fail when it came to her reaction .she look at me and say "are you serious? what the hell?!?" followed by "wow show me something else." next i show her Daniel Madisons cameo. If you read my last thread about the library you can tell stigmata and cameo are my favorite effect but anyways...the best part comes. when cameo was finished she say "i want you to come to my party!" i kinda look at her like are you serious? she asked for my number and told me when the party was and how long it was gonne be. the whole time i was thinkin HECK YEEEES!!! so this is gonna be my first job as a magician....wish me luck guys...then i am leaveing and she asks where i am at lunch and i tell her. she talls me "im gonna bring some friends over there at lunch ok?" i agree...lunch comes around and she brings her friend up to me and the fist thing i do is stigmata lol with a king. next i preform an effect that i never really did before...its callled "french kiss"...if you dont know what it is go to wayne houchins youtube...anyways that gave me an amazing reaction! So she drags me over to her friends sitting at a table and i think of 3 great effects thst i love (heat, cameo, sloppy shuffle) all got amazing reactions....so i had an amazing day...thanks for reading guys....

Love, Peace, & Happiness

Matt

Mar 8, 2008
New Hampshire
You are lucky that you are able to use cards in your school library. The guybrarian tells me to put them away when I take them out. (he has a sign on his office door that says Guybrarian)

Anyways, Seems that you are getting noticed in school. I ,too, am becoming a well known magician in my school. It is fun to be known as a magician.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Nice work. I always like to draw in people by just fiddling with a deck of cards. I don't know any fancy flourishes, but just holding cards can get peoples attention, and by doing so you usually get spectators who want to see and believe in magic.

Reminds me of when I was in high school (oh, some...3 years ago now?)

Me and a friend were known somewhat in high school as being magicians. We were mostly famous for a routine we created where one of us plays a psychic (usually my friend, he was pretty convincing) and as we lay cards out on a table someone picks one and he got it right time after time.

We eventually worked out a system where we could put all 52 cards down and someone could write down and show everyone what they wrote down and he could come over and knew what the card was.

The method (s) we used got pretty insane, but because we had a few different ways to do the same effect we could fool people who thought they were on to the method.

Anyway-Congrats again, good luck with the party. Anytime you're not getting paid though, consider it a good career move in magic-good experience-but you should go and have a good time just hanging out as well as doing magic for everybody.

-Rik

D

Deleted member 2755

Really great story! Again, love them.

However, BE CAREFUL! Sometimes people will just get used to seeing you perform and you'll be expected to perform a few new things every day. Obviously you want to avoid this. You might want to cut down on so many performances. If you don't, you'll feel pressured to buy everything you possibly can and you'll never be able to really perfect the material. It will just waste your money. Be careful with your magic. Always leave you audience wanting more and don't show too much. Make your performances a once in a while privilege, not an everyday event. :)

-Doug

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Great advice Sinful.

This, I beleive is a problem for a lot of magicians. Most magicians love what they do (well, all of them most likely), and we do it because we want to entertain. Maybe its because we like to see people happy, but of course we like the attention as well. It is hard to turn down that attention when the opportunity is presented to you. However, as Sinful put it, be careful with this. Even in high school, not just the professional level, you need to think long term. In a sense, your magic is your business. If you give it out for free whenever someone asks, you will be taken advantage of. You are not getting the respect that you deserve.

Remember, even if you turn someone down a few times when they ask you to show them something, it rarely means they will never ask you again. IN fact, depending on the way you refuse to show someone a trick, it can work for you, and get them to come back more.

I like how you were able to impress the girl in the library, but in my opinion, if you really wanted to do a knockout party, that is where the magic should have stopped. Maybe, just MAYBE, 1 trick at lunch for her friends, but something just enough to get the friends interested, but make it small enough that the girl you originally showed the trick to, would have to talk you up still: "wow, that was good, but you should have seen him earlier!! Just wait for my party! you will be SOOO amazed." Not only does this work for you, it works for your "client" as well.

Magic takes a little bit of everyday small sacrifices and self-control of not giving yoruself away for free, in order to keep your possible audience for a longer period of time and even keep the possibility of repeat "clients."

May 19, 2008
manchester
im going to boast, pretty much EVERYONE in my school knows about me.

my whole year, and all the other people in my school over the age of 9 know I do magic, even the head teacher knows about the magic.

p.s - Im in a school where theirs about... 20/30 people in the whole school, im the only person in year nine :)

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Great story, love things like this.
I'm slowly getting a reputation at my school as well, which is fun. Like when people you don't know look at you and say 'Oh cool it's him. He's magic, you know." Makes me feel warm and fluffy on the inside...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results