Anyone bought Guardians or Centurions?

Jul 4, 2008
Edinburgh
My Guardians and Centurions arrived yesterday, and I'm sorry to say that the seem pretty poor quality. Within about ten minutes the decks were both really warped and bevelled, and the edges seem really rough - like they have been poorly cut.

The cards also seem pretty thin and flimsy.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

I was going to order a bundle but now I'm not so sure.

Chris
Edinburgh

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I don't mind the feel of the Centurions, I've not played with Guardians, but the Cents are pretty good :S

I suppose it depends on what you're used to, if you sat them next to some Wynns or even some tallys they probably would feel flimsy in comparison!

D.

meir

Banned
Dec 8, 2007
my guardians are the thickest cards ive ever feltit might be because of the waxy finish

Jun 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
I personally have no experience with Centurions, but I do use Guardians and I love them! I don't quite understand how you can think they are flimsy, as these are thicker than standard bikes. But then again, if you happen to be used to Ellusionist decks (I don't know if you are nor not) the Guardians would be thinner.

As far as my personal preferences, Guardians are my favorite white deck and one of my most used decks. (I like how Ellusionsist decks handle better, but Guardians still handle great, and they look amazing)

Apr 15, 2008
I dont know what the heck you did to them to make them like that. Mine are still good and Ive had them 4 a month. Try a porper clip to make them better. Personally I like the Centurions just for their back and I like the Guardians for their feel. Either you got a bad deck or you are really abusing your cards and should get a clip so that they will stay nice.

morpheis91

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2007
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Well I had a deck first edition Guardians deck and they didn't handle well they weren't too great after about an hour of intermediate play. But they did get a little batter after I put them away and messed with them a little later. But is it not true that they are better feeling now, than the first editions?

rousselle

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2008
www.rousselle.com
Consistency of cards

Hi, all.

As a newcomer to performing magic and flourishes with cards (but as a longtime collector and poker player), I hope you'll indulge my newbie question:

Do you find that specific brands/styles of cards are consistent in terms of performance? *Really*?

In general, it seems to me that quality is relatively consistent within brands/styles, but I find on these threads that some people find this style deck is thinner than that style, while others swear it's the other way around. Some find one brand fans/flourishes better than a second brand, while others insist it's visa versa. "Tallys are better than Ghosts for fanning," and "Ghosts are better than Tallys," etc., etc.

I'm away from my card collection at the moment (out of town, so all I have is a lone deck of Tally Hos and a lone deck of red bicycles), but i seem to recall that the Guardians have the same finish (Air Flow) as the Bicycles, and the same card stock. Am I mistaken? They felt the same to my newbie hands, if I recall correctly. What stood out for me was the different design -- the muted, murky color palettes of the Guardians and Centurions look great.

But when you say they're "thicker"... really? Thicker than standard bikes?

To get back to the original question: I had cut a deck of Guardians and left the room on a hot and humid day, and came back to notice that the top card I'd cut to had warped slightly. I restored the deck to its box. Opened them the next day. You'd never know that there was ever an issue. No bowing, no sign at all.

So far (I've only had my new decks for a week or two), the Guardians and Centurions I have seem quite resilient. Any card will get a little warped in humid weather. Any decent card can easily recover with a little time and a little kindness -- and the Cents and Guards fall into that category.

Have any of you tried a true "blind test" to see if you can tell the difference between a new deck of Tallys and a new deck of Centurions, etc., blindfolded? I'd be curious as to the results.

--Allan

PS: with all that being said, since my unpracticed hands don't feel the difference between the Guardians and the Bicycles and the Tally Hos, I wish I'd have brought my Guardians with me on this trip. They're just so much more fun to look at while I practice the flourishes I'm learning.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
rousselle, I like very much the idea of a blind test, the results certainly would be extremely interesting. As far as you main question goes, I think a general answer would be that, generally, some decks have qualities which hold true for the majority if not all the decks. Masters simply are thicker than regular Bikes; Ghosts fan better than Brown Wynns. In terms of specific differences, it depends on a lot of factors - the individual magician and their touch, and the individual deck - they're all made to the same specifications but no two will be exactly exactly exactly 100% the same down to the last millionth of a percent. Stuff like different printing presses can all affect the differences. Thickness I suspect should remain the same; as far as so and so fanning/cutting/faroing better than so and so... I think whilst there are generally accepted "facts" - brown wynns not fanning for example, which is true, when it gets down to it, a lot of them just depend on feel and personal bias.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results