Appropriate thread deleted?

Why was the thread about a website that shall not be named that is renting out magic DVDs deleted. It does not break any rules as it is not exposure but a general discussion as to why it is wrong, wrong, wrong, (oh and did I mention, wrong?). The thread could have brought about some ideas as to what could be done about the site. I Don't see any reason as to why it was deleted and I also thought that Theory 11 was not going to be like the Cafe when it comes to deleting threads; was I wrong?

~Dave

C

clarrus

Well renting DVD's on magic for me is sorta like ripping it off from the creator. Unless if it requires a gimmick, then it's like half ripping it off.

My reasoning is that the personing renting it out is collecting all the profits while the creator gets none.

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
I'm sure it was deleted because enough people complained and wanted it gone.

It wasn't the T11 staff that had a meeting and said it should be deleted. I can promise you that.

We need to walk the fine line of trying to please everyone. Obviously, this goal can't always be achieved. Someone may have felt threatened about the thread and asked to have it deleted and/or closed.

If you notice, we still allow other forum names to be dropped without a care, in fact we usually support other magic companies.

The Theory11 crew members are not the ones who make the final decisions in closing/deleting threads, please keep that in mind.

Thank you for your understanding,

Katie Egleston

I completely agree with you. I was talking about the same thing in the post that I wrote up that didn't even have a chance of getting posted as when I went to submit it I got an error message saying that the thread did not exist. To sum up the long thread:

The reason it is bad is not only because people are paying less for what we payed a lot for but that the creators are not making money = bad for them and makes them not want to release any more products = bad for us as we do not get any new or original material.

~David

Because a library does not carry over 300+ books and because of the difference between a book and a DVD- a DVD provides a quick magic fix filled with an hour of exposure for a magician (or because of this site, non-magi) that requires no thinking on one's part what-so-ever, where-as a book requires one to think, go to the library (and not have everything done for you over the internet and mailed to you), and READ (and understand which requires re-reading) what is written. Only people with a genuine interest in magic will pick up a book, however anyone will go (interested or not interested in magic) and watch a DVD (youtube, metacafe, etc.. are all examples of "mini"-DVDs).

~David

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
They discussed this at the I.B.M meeting I attended in August. At first I thought it would be a good idea, but after hearing more about it, I decided that these people should be shunned by all magicians. What they are doing is ethically, and I believe legally wrong.

Obviously, they are marketing to the newer, younger magicians that don't know better, and are all hyped up on the opportunity to use their parents' credit card(s), and don't want to spend the full price to support the creator and the art of magic itself.

When I was at this I.B.M. meeting, they said that this was against copyright laws, because the "Netflix wannabes" don't get permission from the creators of the DVDs. I think the pros, that could actually do something about it, need to know about it, and get it stopped. I think a couple law suits would put these people in their place.

I could go on for a long time about this subject, and I may just write an essay unleashing my wrath to these losers. I will be contacting all the pros I can to get this stopped. This doesn't put them on a level equal to the Masked Magician... this is below him.

But I figured the levitation was a ripoff the whole time, as well.

Last night I started to take immediate action against this site. I contact theory11, as well as many other pros that have DVDs on that site. Unfortunately, I didn't think there was anything that I could do. Then, a fellow magician brought this neat little thing to my attention:

his video is video is sold for home use only.
Duplication, public exhibition, rental or any other commercial
use in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.

That cute little disclaimer is at the bottom of every single L&L Publishing DVD. Can they take legal action? I certainly hope so. I just got done writing them an E-Mail, in hopes that they will be the ones who put a stop to this crap. I think I have made my feelings about this site very clear, and I hope the actions I and others have taken will get it shut down for good.

Bingo!
Hallelooya!
Presto!
Oh Yea!

AND THE WINNER IS.....

*Although I am not a lawyer and could be wrong...but*

They are in breach of the Berne Convention which has been adopted by the United States that states that all creative works, once published on a medium such as a DVD or book, is automatically copyrighted to the author until a minimum of 50 years after the author's death. Meaning (I believe) they reserve the right to legally bind the consumer to not use the DVD for anything except for in-home use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_for_the_Protection_of_Literary_and_Artistic_Works

I'll try to find out where the law class professor is in my school and ask them about it and let you all know ASAP.

C

clarrus

man, you guys are so smart. You guys should write for Law and Order or maybe created a new Law and Order series. Law and Order: Magic crimes. Get Michael Shanks to play Aaron Fisher

Sep 1, 2007
they deleted it because it was basically advertising for the site.

if i listed the site in this post, they'd probably delete that too.

what are we living in 1984???

Sep 2, 2007
Guys,

I deleted the thread per the request of a plethora of members, including bboulton, who started the thread. bboulton felt that his thread was only adding fuel to the proverbial fire, by promoting the aforementioned url, which was the antithesis of his goal. As a result, he -- and numerous members -- requested that his thread be deleted.

Therefore, I honored the request of bboulton, who was the thread originator, in addition to that of other members, and deleted the thread. I apologize for the confusion and/or conspiracy theories, if any.

JTM

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
Guys,

I deleted the thread per the request of a plethora of members, including bboulton, who started the thread. bboulton felt that his thread was only adding fuel to the proverbial fire, by promoting the aforementioned url, which was the antithesis of his goal. As a result, he -- and numerous members -- requested that his thread be deleted.

Therefore, I honored the request of bboulton, who was the thread originator, in addition to that of other members, and deleted the thread. I apologize for the confusion and/or conspiracy theories, if any.

JTM

yes...i started the thread...and i also pm'ed Jack and asked for it to be deleted...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results