Are there going to be protected forums?

Do you mean like on Penguin? When you order a product you get access to a private forum? Because that would be cool. Just a topic about The Guardian deck, or Distortion or Panic. It would allow safety since the public couldn't see it and you could get tips on how to perform, patter,presentation and such. That's a neat idea.

-RA69

Sep 1, 2007
Do you mean like on Penguin? When you order a product you get access to a private forum? Because that would be cool. Just a topic about The Guardian deck, or Distortion or Panic. It would allow safety since the public couldn't see it and you could get tips on how to perform, patter,presentation and such. That's a neat idea.

-RA69

Yea, thats the one thing I liked about penguin.

having a protected forum for a deck of cards?

I'm all for it...sounds like a good idea. Might be to late to set-up though??

I don't see why it would be too late.

Yea, thats the one thing I liked about penguin.

Well I never ordered from penguin or went on their forums, but I saw the little thing when it said when you ordered you were granted acess etc. I always wanted to see what they were like.

-RA69

Edit-About the Deck of cards I was just giving an example, obviously not protected, but a Guardian Deck forum would be cool

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
if penguin can have a forum for a shirt, we can have a forum for a deck ;)

You have to be kidding me right (on the shirt forum..)? What could you possibly discuss about a deck in a protected forum that couldn't be discussed in public? Man a forum dedicated to discussing a shirt...that forum had to be jumping with activity =)

--Jim

Sep 4, 2007
nah, there were just a bunch of jokes like
"how do I use it? It doesn't have instructions :("
well, you could discuss the one sidedness of the deck and how to distinguish it.

I think that it is a great idea because it is the fastes way to get help if you have a problem in a new trick that you bought from the site and feeling free to ask any question without being affraid of exposing the trick.

-The Illusionist

LeeAsher

theory11 artist
Aug 31, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
www.leeasher.com
Devil's advocate time everyone:

How do you feel about all the information on this board being inclusive verses exclusive?

Why limit access to those seeking the information?

Does it serve this community better to have forums filled with information that only certain individuals can access? If so, how?

Having something to strive for with time is nice, but the blockade of information might not be the wisest move in the age of information.

Just something to think about...

I open the floor for full discussion.

Asher

Last edited by a moderator:

How do you feel about all the information on this board being inclusive verses exclusive?

Does it serve this community better to have forums filled with information that only certain individuals can access? If so, how?

Having something to strive for with time is nice, but the blockade of information might not be the wisest move in the age of information.

Asher

Well I'm just saying that I think it would be a great idea for people who have questions how to perform it. Like we don't someone saying "When making or setting up the gimmick is it better too...." Then the trick would lose it's secrecy and there would be no need to buy it. I'm just saying rather than pming a bunch of people we could openly discuss any trick we like due to the fact we don't have to worry about revealing it to anyone since we ourselves purchased it. There could be private forums for people who have purchased the item and even open forums to the public to discuss it's effects. I think it would be a lot more efficient and give members who actually bought something a chance to get special access and help for something they spent money towards your site for.

-RA69

Sep 1, 2007
Well I'm just saying that I think it would be a great idea for people who have questions how to perform it. Like we don't someone saying "When making or setting up the gimmick is it better too...." Then the trick would lose it's secrecy and there would be no need to buy it. I'm just saying rather than pming a bunch of people we could openly discuss any trick we like due to the fact we don't have to worry about revealing it to anyone since we ourselves purchased it. There could be private forums for people who have purchased the item and even open forums to the public to discuss it's effects. I think it would be a lot more efficient and give members who actually bought something a chance to get special access and help for something they spent money towards your site for.

-RA69

agreed, it would be a lot more easy to have a private forum in sted of pming everyone.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA

Asher

Lee,

My obvious concern is exposure discussion. The Cafe has an interesting take on what constitutes exposure which tows the line "If I layman can read this and understand the method behind the trick then it is exposure". Whereas a magician could read the sum of the thread and fully understand the method behind an effect. I got into a rather in-depth debate with one of the mods over there on the subject of DG's Fraud being exposed on their forums. I am just curious to see how close to the line Theory11.com is going to tread on this issue in the public forums.

Take your Asher Twist for example. How in depth would you allow a public discussion on the effect before it crossed the line of exposing the method? While I am sure there are going to be some great conversations on these forums we really can't expect to get the same type of exchange you would get at some 3am hotel lobby session. Which I suppose begs the question: If you are willing to share your secrets at 3am in a hotel lobby with a small group of strangers why not on a public forum? The first answer I come up with is because at least a handful of these effects help to put food on the table for you. I am sure there are other ways for guys to make a buck through lecture tours and royalties on DVD's and books but if your methods are exposed or publicly known it is most likely to affect your income and ability to provide for your family.

Anyways just my random thoughts =)

--Jim

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
how do you move forward in magic when there are protective forums

isn't t11 about bring in the community and try moving magic to the next level?

I am curious what you believe the next level to be within a magic community? Would it be a free exchange of ideas and methods in a public forum? Wouldn't publicly discussing something such as Lee Asher's Panic be exposure? We jump up and down in our seats when we see exposure or tutorials on YouTube, how could this type of public discussion be any different?

-Jim

p.s. please don't take this as arguing with you, I am just trying to better understand where you are coming from with this.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I would like to see a "Theorist Only" forum where the individual tricks could be discussed.
Not to exclude the willing to learn, but to prevent exposure.
Obviously there are going to be questions that could not be asked one a public forum without giving away the method, so this "Exclusive members" forum would be simply to allow those who have purchased an effect to discuss it with discreetness(sp?).

Sep 2, 2007
nah, there were just a bunch of jokes like
"how do I use it? It doesn't have instructions :("
well, you could discuss the one sidedness of the deck and how to distinguish it.

Wait a second. . . do the Guardians have a one-way back design?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results