Are there going to be protected forums?

I am curious what you believe the next level to be within a magic community? Would it be a free exchange of ideas and methods in a public forum? Wouldn't publicly discussing something such as Lee Asher's Panic be exposure? We jump up and down in our seats when we see exposure or tutorials on YouTube, how could this type of public discussion be any different?

-Jim

p.s. please don't take this as arguing with you, I am just trying to better understand where you are coming from with this.

I have access to protective forum (cc1&2) and pretty much it wasn't that helpful. it has only a handful of forum and witch only one or two was really helpful. just a thought no matter if it's protective forum of not. all new and exclusive magic going to be expose to the internet. no matter what we going to do.

BottomLine:i see your point. how t11 going to make money off there products if it's expose to the public.

as for the next level....
...i have no idea.

I would like to see a "Theorist Only" forum where the individual tricks could be discussed.
Not to exclude the willing to learn, but to prevent exposure.
Obviously there are going to be questions that could not be asked one a public forum without giving away the method, so this "Exclusive members" forum would be simply to allow those who have purchased an effect to discuss it with discreetness(sp?).

i kinda like this idea

Aug 31, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Guardians are one way
we are only saying this for the benefit of T11 as we want to talk about the trick with exposing it but if you need a code or wat eva then only people have purcased it can talk about the trick.

Protected forums for purchased effects is the way to go.

This will allow in-depth discussions for paying customers who would otherwise not be able to communicate on such an intimate level.

.........."I am having problems with my _______ what do you do to solve this situation"

This will keep "exposure" type posts out of the regular forums, keeping the secrets of the purchased effect away from potential customers.

The community is still young enough to implement this, and I personally feel that it would only benefit the purchasers understanding of the effect they wish to perform.

The protected forums would be a place that you could get "down and dirty" with the effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
Devil's advocate time everyone:

How do you feel about all the information on this board being inclusive verses exclusive?

Why limit access to those seeking the information?

Does it serve this community better to have forums filled with information that only certain individuals can access? If so, how?

Having something to strive for with time is nice, but the blockade of information might not be the wisest move in the age of information.

Just something to think about...

I open the floor for full discussion.

Asher

Well, obviously the forums that exist now would remain open to everyone. What the topic is asking about, I think, is password protected forums for each individual effect sold by T11 (like the ones that exist on E for some of their products). If such forums existed, it would give owners of the effect a place to collaborate with other owners so they could discuss/get help with parts of the effect they had problems with, talk about new ideas, applications, routining, etc. without discussing it in an open forum and exposing it to the rest of the users.

LeeAsher

theory11 artist
Aug 31, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
www.leeasher.com
Remember guys - I'm playing devil's advocate in this thread.

I don't have a right or wrong answer to this topic (like the rest of you).

My goal is to provoke discussion and thought here.

Please continue...

Asher

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results