Art of Astonishment Effects

Jul 13, 2008
Buffalo,Ny
Hey everyone,
So lately I have picked back up my Art of Astonishment series and began studying them. I've gotten my way through book 1 and 2, and there is really some great material. My question is if any of you have performed any of these effects:
Improv Nightshades
Buck Naked
Solid Deception
Backlash
Counterfeit Spectator
Dropshot
Sliding Ink

I was really curious to see if these effects get great reactions from the spectators? I want to work them into some of my routines, but if the material isn't hard hitting, then it isn't worth it to perfect and perform. Thanks for your help!

Nov 8, 2007
Hey everyone,
So lately I have picked back up my Art of Astonishment series and began studying them. I've gotten my way through book 1 and 2, and there is really some great material. My question is if any of you have performed any of these effects:
Improv Nightshades
Buck Naked
Solid Deception
Backlash
Counterfeit Spectator
Dropshot
Sliding Ink

I was really curious to see if these effects get great reactions from the spectators? I want to work them into some of my routines, but if the material isn't hard hitting, then it isn't worth it to perfect and perform. Thanks for your help!

Why not be your own judge? Just because someone says they got a good or bad reaction from performing something doesn't mean you will get the same. It's not just about the trick--it's about the magician too.

That said, yes, I have performed some of the effects you listed and gotten strong reactions with them.

I encourage you to practice and try out the effects that catch your eye yourself, though, as opposed to going along with what everyone else says is good or bad. Learning to develop your own critical eye for good magic is one of the best things you can do for yourself as a magician, as it will help you understand why something does or does not play strong for an audience. If the only effects you perform are the ones everyone tells you are strong, you'll never the real reasons behind why they play as strong as they do.

AoA is a gold mine. Good luck in exploring it further.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
I completely agree with what Mat said.

THAT being said, I perform Improv Nightshades all the time... it kills.

The other effects are amazing as well, but I'm trying to fit them into MY persona and character.

Some of these (as Jay Sankey said in his essay) are just so bizarre because they are tailored to Paul. Do like Jeff Prace, he didn't just imitate one of Paul's effects, he made it his own and came up with a beautiful piece of magic.

Sep 7, 2008
There is nothing better than making something yourself, even if it's just a small adaptation. I love Paul Harris' Solid Deception, and I think the concept is brilliant. However, I wanted to make it have a visual aspect, mainly because people were trying to break apart my solid deck after I performed; they didn't understand the magic right away. Jay Sankey shares similar thoughts, and I admire his variations of the trick. No More Card Tricks [MAGIC Magazine, June 2009] was my take on the plot, and I added a visual element which also allows me more freedom with the deck.

Some tricks might suit you perfectly, but if you like a concept, and it doesn't suit you, change it so it does, and you might end up with something great!

Jeff

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results