Audience Understanding (Part Two)

Hey guys. So I made a post about "audience understanding" a while back so that's why I named this "part two."

I performed a version of Dan and Dave's "Hoffzy Osbourne" and when I revealed that the reversed card in the deck was an ace and that the selection was face down with the other Aces, my spectators laughed and said that "I messed up" (because I guess they were expecting their selection to be face down in the deck, not the ace).

While the "switching" of the Ace and their selection was supposed to be an element of surprise, it was clearly not received by my audience. I don't think it was my presentation because I feel that I explained the steps of the effect pretty clearly. The only thing that I think might have caused them to think that I "messed up" on was the end where I revealed the face down Ace and said, "Oh...if this is the Ace, then your card must be..." and so forth.

What do you guys think? Is a fault of mine or just a factor of the audience?

GarethNg

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2011
Audiences will react differently. Some react straight away while others wait until its over.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
With the Hoff Ace Problem as a plot is there are two (primary) ways to present the effect, one (which your spectators believe happened) is conflict between the magician and the magic. In a sort of back fire with the selection appearing by accident to both the magician and the audience. The other method is more of a mystery and control of the audience, the audience believes that the corresponding ace is face down in a spread (magic moment 1) and then the magician changes the ace into the selection (magic moment 2).

Personally I feel that the construction of the Buck's routine is lacking. However, this is only an opinion and needs to be be a personal decision. I feel that you need to access why the audience believes you messed up and without dissecting your character and inturn the presentation you used it would be impossible to do so.

If there is a communication breakdown between you and the audience then the fault will always lie with you for not explaining things in a way that the audience will understand, and or stopping to check to make sure the audience is still with you.

Jun 1, 2009
If there is a communication breakdown between you and the audience then the fault will always lie with you for not explaining things in a way that the audience will understand, and or stopping to check to make sure the audience is still with you.

I like this. Not just for this effect, but magic as a whole. It's our job to lead them down the path of wonder, but if they get lost along the way, the effect is not as strong and it is our fault for not guiding them until it is finished.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Sometimes it CAN be the fault of the spectator, but you are NEVER supposed to make that person look or feel like it was their fault, especially if it is a stage show or paid performance. Always put the blame back on yourself at that moment. As you drive home and reflect upon the performance, perhaps think about how your patter could be changed so that this situation doesn't arise again. I'm not familiar with that effect, but just making a general comment. I do realize that there could have been other stimuli in an environment that made that spectator not pay attention as well as they should have (should it have been at a bar, club, etc.)

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
How exactly did you explain the effect to them though? If you treated it as a surprise then that's fine, but a better way would be to LEAD them into thinking whats going to happen next. Yeah, I know I've heard lots of guys say that you shouldn't let your audience get ahead you, but I think for this type of effect to work well. It's better that you lead them toward the idea of whats going to happen.

Yeah, I definitely treated it as a surprise. Basically, "when it was time," I showed that one of the Aces turned face down. I say, "So the Ace of (suit) turned face down, which tells me that your card was a (suit). Now go through the deck. One card should be turned over and it's the......oh, THAT'S the Ace of (suit)...so that means your card is..." then I reveal the face down card in the packet of Aces to be their selection.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The reason your audience believed that you messed up is because that is the image you present is that you stuffed up.

You told your audience that their card would be the otherway in the middle of the deck. You created an expectation and did not achieve it. Yes the effect has a surprise ending I feel that if you are going to present the effect this way you need to isolate the change of the ace into the selection.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Yeah, I definitely treated it as a surprise. Basically, "when it was time," I showed that one of the Aces turned face down. I say, "So the Ace of (suit) turned face down, which tells me that your card was a (suit). Now go through the deck. One card should be turned over and it's the......oh, THAT'S the Ace of (suit)...so that means your card is..." then I reveal the face down card in the packet of Aces to be their selection.

When I perform it after an ace has been reversed I turn back to the deck to reveal the value of their card, then I do a color change revealing the ace, then the selection is revealed in the center of the aces. I enjoy this presentation because it builds the drama. The way I present it, after the ace reverses, I begin to build up the the reveal. Try explaining that the card reversed in the deck will help you to find their card before you fan out the pack. When you reveal the black 7 say that you will change the card into a heart. They automatically think it will turn into a seven of hearts. When it turns into an ace take advantage of this moment! If you want point out that you have never gone anywhere near the aces, really lay it on thick. By the time they realize that their selection is in the middle they will have forgotten that you touched the aces in the first place.

As for them thinking it's a mistake I'd say that it can still be just as magical. If they think that you made their card appear in between the aces on purpose that's one thing but if you make their card appear there by mistake that can be just as powerful. I think of Mac King in this instance. In his card to pocket he shoots the card to his pocket in the first phase but in the second phase he shoots the card to his fly. He acts like it is a mistake but it is absolutely amazing. I would bet a portion of each audience he performs for thinks he made a mistake. I don't think that it makes the card to fly less powerful because it looks like a mistake.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results