Audition advice

Nov 27, 2009
I've got an audition on Feb. 18, and I'm trying to build a 2 min program. What I've got going for me is that I've auditioned at this place before, but that could also work against me. Last time I did about 30 seconds of juggling, then my ACR and the Sponge balls. It worked, even though I was being heckled by one of the judges. Do I do the same things this time?

If not, what do I do? I need some variety, and I'll probably do the juggling again. Below I have listed most of the tricks I'm confident I could do in this particular setting.

I've been working on the Cups and Balls for about a month. I've got a potential routine there. Do you think this is a good idea, especially considering the time I've got to perfect the routine?

I've also got the UltraGaff deck with the amazing tricks there. Would you recommend any of those?

My card trick arsenal looks something like this:
Ambitious card
Biddle trick
Las Vagas Leapers
Chicago Opener
Stigmata (is this really a card trick?)
Almost anything from RRTCM.
and probably a few more that I can't think of right now.

I'm usually not good with coins, but I think I could pull off Sinful.

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
First off, what are you auditioning for how long does it have to be, and if you get it who are you performing for?

What did the judge say. As performers whenever we perform we need to listen to our audiences and interpret what they say and then apply it to ourselves. How were they heckling you?

I wouldn't do the same things because they didn't work out the first time. I would stay away from gaffs because they are obviously trick cards and therefore a layman could say everything is all trick cards or trick coins etc.

Nov 27, 2009
It needs to be 2 minutes or less.

The routine I did the first time worked brilliantly. They loved it! I did some juggling and the sponges and was going to cut it off there because I heard they were running short on time, but they wanted me to do more, so I did my ACR and maybe another trick. They told me I was very funny and that they were impressed. I wasn't expecting either compliment. I'm not naturally a comedian and I was getting heckled!

One of the judges was just telling me how I did my tricks. I laughed it off and kept going. I did end up getting the job. I do have to be careful how I deal with this heckler, after all, she does determine whether or not I get the job.

I'm auditioning at a theme park. Last year I did "street magic" for them. Street magic is in quotes because it ended up looking more like busking and less like *cough David Blaine cough*. It worked quite well, but I'm not sure I accomplished exactly what they wanted. They wanted me to "sell" stuff for a magic shop that wasn't really what I would call a magic shop. Oh well.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Wow...2 minutes or less does not give much time. That is maybe 2 effects tops. Even a solid cups and balls routine could eat 2 minutes depending how entertaining it is.

Nov 27, 2009
That's part of my problem. They would probably allow longer if I was good. There is no timer running, but that's the guideline I remember.

I've got a friend who worked with this company for a few years and had to re-audition every year so I'm going to ask him whether or not to do the same stuff, but any input from you guys is greatly appreciated.

One note on my cups and balls. It would be a HUGE risk. I've practiced the sleights, and am still working on those. The moves are nearly solid. The issue is that I've not really rehearsed a script for it. With that in mind, I can see it either bombing terribly, or being a huge win, depending on audience participation.

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
That's part of my problem. They would probably allow longer if I was good. There is no timer running, but that's the guideline I remember.

I've got a friend who worked with this company for a few years and had to re-audition every year so I'm going to ask him whether or not to do the same stuff, but any input from you guys is greatly appreciated.

One note on my cups and balls. It would be a HUGE risk. I've practiced the sleights, and am still working on those. The moves are nearly solid. The issue is that I've not really rehearsed a script for it. With that in mind, I can see it either bombing terribly, or being a huge win, depending on audience participation.

Then don't take a chance if you can't get the script down good in time. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
2 minutes is not a great deal of time. I would perform Las Vegas Leaper or Leap of Faith (the Bill Malone addition that allows both spectators to count the cards.) YOu would need to rush through some of the presentation though to keep it short.

Nov 27, 2009
Thanks for the advise! My "inside man" helped me out as well. I'm gonna try to do something like Sinful, Las Vagas Leapers and some juggling. If they want more, I'll throw in my ACR, or the sponge balls.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
There is no way you can fit all of that into two minutes. Maybe you could....but then you'd just be firing off "tricks" in rapid-fire-succesion and you would have no room for presentation or anything. Honestly, I'd stick with ONE amazing, well thought out, memorable effect WITH a souvenir for one of the judges. You will seem more talented, more professional, AND they will have some kind of souvenir to remind them of YOU and YOUR audition.

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
There is no way you can fit all of that into two minutes. Maybe you could....but then you'd just be firing off "tricks" in rapid-fire-succesion and you would have no room for presentation or anything. Honestly, I'd stick with ONE amazing, well thought out, memorable effect WITH a souvenir for one of the judges. You will seem more talented, more professional, AND they will have some kind of souvenir to remind them of YOU and YOUR audition.

I agree give them a gift and not really just a signed card. Have them remember you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results