Backstage

Mar 14, 2018
There was once a trick that I believe was called Backstage. It used a glass and tube with a tray that had a small drape attached. You offer to show the audience how a trick is done by turning around with your back to them. The audience can see under the tray because the drape does not cover the back. A glass is shown to an imaginary audience to have milk in it ( or so it seems ) which is placed on the tray. Then you display a tube again to the same imaginary audience; the glass is covered with the tube and slid over a hole in the tray and drops into a small net below ( this is seen by the real audience. Now you remove the glass and offer to show how it looks from the front. You go through the same motions as before to your real audience ( and of course they think they know how it is done ). At this point you state the obvious that they believe they know how it is done, but being a magician you can really make it vanish by simply removing the drape to prove it has really vanished.

I searched a lot of magic stores on the internet, but could not find it and if anyone could point me in the right direction where I can buy it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Mar 14, 2018
thank you very much. there was another similar one with a card and an elephant with a cover that worked in a similar fashion. would you happen to know what the name of that one was?

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
The name of that is Elephant Vanish (Backstage) or Backstage: Vanishing Elephant.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
There was once a trick that I believe was called Backstage. It used a glass and tube with a tray that had a small drape attached. You offer to show the audience how a trick is done by turning around with your back to them. The audience can see under the tray because the drape does not cover the back. A glass is shown to an imaginary audience to have milk in it ( or so it seems ) which is placed on the tray. Then you display a tube again to the same imaginary audience; the glass is covered with the tube and slid over a hole in the tray and drops into a small net below ( this is seen by the real audience. Now you remove the glass and offer to show how it looks from the front. You go through the same motions as before to your real audience ( and of course they think they know how it is done ). At this point you state the obvious that they believe they know how it is done, but being a magician you can really make it vanish by simply removing the drape to prove it has really vanished.

I searched a lot of magic stores on the internet, but could not find it and if anyone could point me in the right direction where I can buy it, I would greatly appreciate it.

I love this effect. I believe that Jim Steinmeyer sold a version a few years back, or it may be in the Conjuring Anthology. It looks like you got what you needed though.

Yikes! This isn't the Magic Cafe. If you have the choice of being helpful or telling someone to Google it CHOOSE THE FORMER. It is completely plausible that they searched in other places and came up short or even that they used different search terms than you. I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt rather than coming off as a jerk. I'm sure you didn't mean to be rude by telling him to Google it, but you did come off as rude.

Mar 14, 2018
I appreciate any help I get as a lot of times I don't remember the name of the item I am looking for since I started doing magic some 55 years ago and my memory of those items from way back when isn't so good.

I try googling but most of the time my terms don't produce any results.

I do have another request can anyone suggest some closeup that can be done for 5 and 6 year olds? Thanks again.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I do have another request can anyone suggest some closeup that can be done for 5 and 6 year olds? Thanks again.

There is a great effect in Eric Mead’s Tangled Web where you borrow a $20 bill from the parents of an annoying child and make a oragami animal out of it. The trick is that the animal is made out of a $1 bill. ;)

Give us a little more information about who you are performing for and in what situations and we can give you some more solid suggestions.

Mar 14, 2018
There is a great effect in Eric Mead’s Tangled Web where you borrow a $20 bill from the parents of an annoying child and make a oragami animal out of it. The trick is that the animal is made out of a $1 bill. ;)

Give us a little more information about who you are performing for and in what situations and we can give you some more solid suggestions.

I am planning a trip to visit my grandson whom I have never met in person (talked to him by video calls) for his 5th birthday and would be there for about 2 weeks, so I would like some ideas of what I can use to keep him entertained other than the simple coin from ear trick.

Thank you.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I would suggest some kids magic tricks that he can do once you show it to him -- ball vase, drawer box, imp bottle and some you can do for him color vision, disintegration chamber (with red ball), pencil coin penetration, nickels to dimes (or shrinking nickels).

Here is a link to a shop that carries a lot of that stuff: https://www.magictricks.com/ages-7-to-9.html

Peter is great to talk to if you call him up. He could probably make a lot of recommendations.

Mar 14, 2018
I would suggest some kids magic tricks that he can do once you show it to him -- ball vase, drawer box, imp bottle and some you can do for him color vision, disintegration chamber (with red ball), pencil coin penetration, nickels to dimes (or shrinking nickels).

Here is a link to a shop that carries a lot of that stuff: https://www.magictricks.com/ages-7-to-9.html

Peter is great to talk to if you call him up. He could probably make a lot of recommendations.

I really appreciate the time it takes for you all to help me and the great references.

Thanks to all of you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results