Bad News for David Blaine?

Jan 13, 2008
I don't really like FOX News either, so here's a youtube video showing him hanging upright:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4XXppE8Jjk

Note that he's hanging upright and not standing, nor does he get lowered to them (at least not very much, as the crane comes up to Blaine, who is pretty high up still). Also notice the angle of the photograph in the Fox News article...you can't see Blaine's feet touching the ground or anything like that (the blanket is likely covering him peeing, which makes sense--Blaine's family friendly). Pretty shoddy reporting, if you ask me.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Later tonight you will see a video of me hanging upside down in a rig beside DB's. I was strapped into harness, I was suspended upside down, and I was under very similar conditions as DB is under right now. How long did I last - with the stress of a crowd of people around me? With the rush of blood to the head? 3 minutes. 3 minutes.

I have been at the site since inception and I can categorically say that DB's few and far between "breaks" are for moments, and are for medical examinations, essential circulatory stretching, and bathroom breaks only. Even at 4:00am last night as Dan and Dave, Chad Nelson, Dan White, BJ Bueno, Ricky Smith, Bob Smith, and I were at the site with few others, DB was upside down the entire time, with frequent lateral stretching to keep his head above his heart at least once every hour. Your heart is not meant to operate otherwise, so if he does not do this for a few seconds every hour or two, he would not make it out of this alive. He must remain in constant state of stretching to maintain circulation, with the otherwise result being stroke.

To this article - the stunt is anything but fake. As I write this about 100 feet away from him, the whites of his eyes are completely brown, swollen. He can speak and is mostly coherent and aware, but he has not slept. He needs the support, so please send well wishes as we continue to post updates from the scene.

Sep 2, 2007
tell DB that he's getting worldwide support! and we won;t hate him if he feels he TRULY needs to get out of this early....at least, I won;t....

EDIT: are the sunglasses to prevent people from seeing the brown eyes?

May 18, 2008
Wow... I don't blame him! I definitly couldn't do anything close to this. I am curious though, if he is doing this 5 feet off the ground, how is this a "dive of death?"

I do respect him and really hope he lives...

Jan 13, 2008
Wow... I don't blame him! I definitly couldn't do anything close to this. I am curious though, if he is doing this 5 feet off the ground, how is this a "dive of death?"

I do respect him and really hope he lives...
He gets raised up quite high when he's not down visiting the fans. Also, the ending is supposed to the be actual dive (from when he's raised all the way up), where he'll apparently be doing something amazing to get down (which is being kept secret).

Sep 3, 2007
The problem is that people are just thinking like lay spectators. If he has to take a break every hour then he obviously didn't give us the whole story when building up the stunt. 10% figured out from a spectator point of view equates to the stunt/trick is figured out. It's like ohh they caught him standing off to the side, well make your own conclusions.

Sep 1, 2007
Later tonight you will see a video of me hanging upside down in a rig beside DB's. I was strapped into harness, I was suspended upside down, and I was under very similar conditions as DB is under right now. How long did I last - with the stress of a crowd of people around me? With the rush of blood to the head? 3 minutes. 3 minutes.

Sounds about right. People who aren't impressed anymore because he's getting check-ups don't seem to understand the gravity of the situation.

Then again, given the tendencies of this generation, the only thing David could do that would impress any of them is to wrestle a tiger shark while playing a face-melting guitar solo and using the shark's blood to cure AIDS.

The problem is that people are just thinking like lay spectators. If he has to take a break every hour then he obviously didn't give us the whole story when building up the stunt. 10% figured out from a spectator point of view equates to the stunt/trick is figured out.

What's to figure out? He has to lift his head above his heart periodically or die.

I would think anyone with an IQ over 50 could understand that ups the drama somewhat. Unless you're in the habit of doing an ACR with razor blades painted to look like playing cards, card tricks generally don't end up a matter of life and death.

Sep 3, 2007
Sounds about right. People who aren't impressed anymore because he's getting check-ups don't seem to understand the gravity of the situation.

Then again, given the tendencies of this generation, the only thing David could do that would impress any of them is to wrestle a tiger shark while playing a face-melting guitar solo and using the shark's blood to cure AIDS.

What's to figure out? He has to lift his head above his heart periodically or die.

I would think anyone with an IQ over 50 could understand that ups the drama somewhat. Unless you're in the habit of doing an ACR with razor blades painted to look like playing cards, card tricks generally don't end up a matter of life and death.

No, some people are pretty smart you just have to realize that you're not the smartest person on the planet. That's what I do.

Sep 1, 2007
No, some people are pretty smart you just have to realize that you're not the smartest person on the planet. That's what I do.

That doesn't answer my question. What is there to figure out?

Hanging upside down = death
Regular stretches and check-ups = not death

That about covers it.

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Stupid fox news.

Fox News rules the planet. Fair and balanced.

Anyway, back on subject:
Has David given any hints as to how he's going to end this stunt? And by the way, thanks JB for giving us the inside scoop- Some people don't really find this stunt to be "amazing" but then again, they're not the ones in the harness...

Nov 17, 2007
Well. I have to admit. It does make it less impressive. It's like me saying I'm gonna hold my breath for an hour but taking 100 breathing breaks. But, even so, I will also admit that what he is doing is still not easy whatsoever. Just makes it not as impressive.

Well, that's fine. He has to come down or else the blood can cause the capillaries in your eyes to break as well as cause serious problems with your brain. He has to take breaks if he wants to live. However, I have a bigger question...

"Will he get skin cancer from being in sunlight this long?"

Just kidding but that is my two cents.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I don't know, it's really not that big of a deal. Have you ever tried peeing upside down? Heh. He is still living upside down for 60 hours...

Also, here's another story that interviews DB. It shows him going upright to pee. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTcYa71zwfg

It's not like he's taking a half hour break. And it was part of his original plans, and not a secret. Fox makes it seem so scandalous. That's news for you....

j

Sep 1, 2007
Well. I have to admit. It does make it less impressive. It's like me saying I'm gonna hold my breath for an hour but taking 100 breathing breaks. But, even so, I will also admit that what he is doing is still not easy whatsoever. Just makes it not as impressive.

Oh look at that, I'm right again.

It's a sad evaluation of our culture when the threat of death is not considered as thrilling as certain death.

Jul 15, 2008
I don't know, it's really not that big of a deal. Have you ever tried peeing upside down? Heh. He is still living upside down for 60 hours...

Also, here's another story that interviews DB. It shows him going upright to pee. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTcYa71zwfg

It's not like he's taking a half hour break. And it was part of his original plans, and not a secret. Fox makes it seem so scandalous. That's news for you....

j

Is that Dan White at 1:18?

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I was more interested when I actually thought it was 60hrs straight. However; not having any medical knowledge it seems pretty clear that's just a painful suicide. It does make this a lot less interesting yet it's still dangerous, even though he's not going to die for sure something could still happen to make complications. I was just hoping 60hrs straight because it was crazy... not because he might die.

Yes that was Dan White.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results