Bar Magic (Job Trial)

Sep 20, 2007
About 2 weeks ago I was sitting in a bar with some mates just have a little bit to drink and a catch up, they knew I was a magician and wanted to see some stuff. So I whipped out my cards and did a few routines. What I do is street magic so I'm used to doing magic to people I haven't met before, so one of the guys said "Hey why don't you go up to some people here and show them." So I did of course!

Went up to a group of girls and did a common ambitious routine followed by many other effective hard hitting effects. Then from that performance I ended up going from table to table not knowing when I was going to stop, as the friends I were with saying "Hey Corey these people here want to see some stuff". Anyway to the point, the last table I was at was good just like the others although they gave me around $15 just because they thought I was good, however there was a guy sitting there who had been doing close up magic for 20 years, so we had a little talk afterwards and he asked for my number. (he is a regular at this bar too). He said he would talk to the owner and see if I can get some work. 4 Days later got a phone call, and the owner wanted to meet me. Went back to the bar showed him what I can do, about me. Tonight is my trial, to see how I go and so the owner can see weather it is worth hiring me or not. He said I may keep all the tips I make and he will also pay me and classify me as apart of the staff if it goes well.

So thought it was worth telling you all this. wish me the best for tonight. I hope it goes well =]

I'll keep you informed if I get the job or not.

Leave some comments or tips for me if you like....this will be the first time ever entered into work with magic. apart from little side parties of mates.

°Cor∃y°

Sep 2, 2007
Stockholm Sweden
That sounds great. I hope that you get the job.
I sure that you are going to be great. As you say you are use to do street magic infront of people so im sure you have nothing to worry about.

Best of Luck.

C

clarrus

Good luck man. Just don't tell them that Open Waters was a good movie and you will be fine

Just remember...

It's called show-BUSINESS! The business side of it is way more important...holding a steady gig and getting booked and re-booked is ALL ABOUT RELATIONSHIPS!!! Sure, having the audience enjoy what you do is crucial, don't get me wrong. But, making the manager feel like not hiring you would be a big mistake, that's more important.

Don't think of yourself as a magician, but as a solutions provider. He has a problem, and you're there to provide a solution to it and help him out...that's what you need to sell the gig on.

Good luck...would post more, but just got home from my restaurant gig. PM me if you have any questions, or just post here. :)

Can't wait to hear how it went!
Steve

Oct 11, 2007
sacramento ca
wow i cant tell you how many times i have been in a bar and doing tricks for seriously everyone including the manager and wowed everyone as well as had a good time myself and never got a job offer you stumbled upon a great opportunity and i wish you luck i am very interested to see how this ends:D

Sep 20, 2007
Well... the night was great, did about 3 hours of table hopping. Didn't get a whole lot of tips but that wasn't the point of the night anyway. It was more about experience for me and to entertain the people for whom I did magic for. The owner was not in last night, however he had told the next guy in charge that I will be coming in to do some magic. It's a In-door Bar and outside as well, so I started from the outside and made my way in side. As this is the first time I have really done anything of the like (table-hopping), I approached a table with a few guys and a few girls that seemed to be having a good evening to start with. I introduced my self, told them that I was a magician and if they would be interested in seeing some magic. Whilst saying that I was doing a few simple flourishes just to show that I was genuine. There was only one table of 2 that night that said they were not interested in seeing anything,,,,I said no problem thanks anyway and walked away.

Last night was also a time for me to practice a thing called "Build Up" as I'm rather used to doing magic that can either be a laugh and good time or showing off skill. the kind of Build Up I am talking about is the build up of "......Is that Real" something that will leave an impression, and maby let them think there is more to reality. However still have a good time and a laugh and really get to know my spectators so that they don't feel uncomfortable.

I even had the staff impressed, and thinking this was great. So iv'e been invited to go back a do some more another night. which I think is great, and am actually looking forward to it. Afterwards I had a few drinks shouted for me so that was good.

Also during this night I was asked to perform at a:
-21st Birthday Party
-Some other Party
-A Wedding

I warmed up a bit earlier that evening by doing some magic in the city, and got a few crowds going which was great fun and enjoyable.

It was rather amusing today, as when I was in the city a group of girl noticed me and said "Hey it's that magic guy" a few of them didn't know me but had heard of me. So I am glad I am making a reputation here where I live.

If anyone has any questions of my experience or any questions in general don't hesitate to ask. Also feel free to leave comments or say Hi. I will defiantly keep you guys posted with how things go for me.

°Cor∃y°

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
No questions, but a couple comments:
That's awesome that you were asked to perform at some parties, even someone's wedding
I'm jealous of you.
Congratulations on everything going well for you.

D

Deleted member 2755

Great Job! I'm glad everything went well for you. Keep it up!

-Doug

Oct 11, 2007
sacramento ca
first I'd like to make a correction on my last reply i am not interested in how this end but rather begins;)
thats sounds like an awesome night . the bar scene with the employees is my personal favorite . just wait until you do magic for the owner thats when things will start happening and i hope those other jobs work out
as for building up i find that in my style of magic it is a bit too fast and what i like to do is slow down and keep a good pace and i always try to take the spectators mind down a path and make sure that they are informed and 100 percent sure that the selected card is in the middle ;) lol that way when it does happen the prestige that is, the hit is hard and they just go over what you did and have know idea [every magician lives for this look] well thats what i do

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results