Beginner/Intermediate level Books?

Dec 18, 2009
If you want sleights galore then get Revolutionary Card Technique by Ed Marlo. It's a little costly compared to the other ones, and to be honest Expert Card Technique has tons of general sleights.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
So do you still recommend 'Scarne on Card Tricks'? I do have stuff to perform, is it one of those "MUST HAVE" books since im kind of on a limited budget

Scarne on Card Tricks has a lot of great material (150 effects) and most of them are self-working (requiring little or no slight of hand). Most of the effects are versions of classic effects which were reworked to remove most of the slight of hand. The patter is dated because the book was original written in 1950, but the effects are solid. It only costs between $10 to $12 and is well worth it. I recommend this book because it will give you something to perform while you are working your way through other stuff (such as Royal Road). Also, later on, it will give you effects that you can use to fill in routines.

I'm not sure which slights that Dan and Dave referenced as common knowledge, but a good starting point for those is the Royal Road to Card Magic book. That book covers the basics such as the overhand shuffle, hindu shuffle, glide, glimpse, backslip, palm, reversals, false cuts, double lifts, the pass and various forces. I don't think that any of those basics are taught on Everythingelse. Again, it is between $10 and $12. If you are interested in cards, this book is a must have. If you could only buy one book, it would be Royal Road.

Dec 18, 2009
Just get Royal Road. If you aren't satisfied....You can set me on fire. Not only that but something is wrong with you if you aren't ;).

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
I disagree with some the statements:The card magic of paul lepaul, is that it is stated that the book is suited for novices... whereas I would recommend fully that a complete novice would consider the RRTCM before this book - as many of the things you'll learn in the Paul le Paul book is actual advanced techniques based on the techniques you'll have already learned elsewhere. Like passes, lifts or what not.

Dec 20, 2009
Mumbai, India
Hey everyone, Just thought I'd let you all know what books Im getting

1. JB Bobo's Modern Coin Magic
2. Royal Road to Card Magic
3. Hiding the Elephant
4. Either Practical Mental Magic or Joshua Jay's ' Magic - The complete course' (with the DVD).

I still have to decide between the two, I read a review of Joshua Jays book & DVD on the forums and it seems really like a good buy for beginners especially, On the other hand Practical Mental Magic I believe has more Mentalism effects which I am interetsed in. Im really having a hard time deciding! I think im going to end up getting both :p

Anyway I just though I should let you guys know what Im getting,

Thanks for all your help

- Jenai

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
Great list, the two books in there i have read are royal road and practical mental magic. I recommend practical mental magic if you want to branch out into mentalism if not it still has some great effects that would do.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I'm assuming you know that Hiding the Elephant is more a history book than a book that you learn effects from. Don't get me wrong, its a great book, especially for someone who is interested in large scale illusions, but it doesn't really teach effects.

Dec 20, 2009
Mumbai, India
I'm assuming you know that Hiding the Elephant is more a history book than a book that you learn effects from. Don't get me wrong, its a great book, especially for someone who is interested in large scale illusions, but it doesn't really teach effects.
Yeah, I know that I just thought it'd be nice,im not really that interested in PERFORMING stage illusions but I like watching them so im pretty sure I'd like reading about them too :)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I disagree with some the statements:The card magic of paul lepaul, is that it is stated that the book is suited for novices... whereas I would recommend fully that a complete novice would consider the RRTCM before this book - as many of the things you'll learn in the Paul le Paul book is actual advanced techniques based on the techniques you'll have already learned elsewhere. Like passes, lifts or what not.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I was meaning that Lepaul should go after Expert Card Technique and before Expert at the Card Table. So RRTCM, ECT, Lepaul, EATCT.

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
Maybe I wasn't clear, but I was meaning that Lepaul should go after Expert Card Technique and before Expert at the Card Table. So RRTCM, ECT, Lepaul, EATCT.

okay, in fact that is a nice little list.

I think before getting serious into any art you should learn about its history etc etc so get some nice little history books that would really help you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results