Beginner Question + Small Fingers

Sep 1, 2013
I have really small hands, despite my body size

6'3 190lbs 17yrs old

Anyways, I'm a beginner to magic, and my uncle got me into it. He's been practicing card flourishes and card sleights since 2yrs ago, atleast from what I heard. I would love to ask him for help, but hes on vacation in china. So D:

Anyways, My hands are REALLY small. I have the biggest trouble getting a pinky break. The method im trying to get a pinky break or practicing with is when you push out a number of cards from the top of your deck and when you push it back in, you get a pinky break.

But my pinky is so small, when i push the cards back in, my pinky hides in the middle of the deck

I measured my pinky size, its 2 and 1/3 inch

Sep 1, 2007
Considering mine is only 2.5", it sounds like the problem is that you're not used to the feeling of holding cards like that. It will come with time.

A handicap is only an obstacle you work around rather than smashing through. I'm so dominantly left-handed that I literally cannot do any sleights that require fine dexterity with both hands. I will in all likelihood never reach the level where I could do an interlock production. But I don't need the use of my right hand to do a key card effect.

Sep 1, 2013
Thank you, I realize practice makes perfects. It's just I was wondering if small hands affect performing/doing card flourishes and sleights

Sep 2, 2007
London
Thank you, I realize practice makes perfects. It's just I was wondering if small hands affect performing/doing card flourishes and sleights

Not really. Some of the best sleight-of-hand performers around have very small hands. To be fair, some of the worst sleight-of-hand artists have very small hands too, and cite the size of their hands as the reason why their performance of certain moves is below par. All this leads me to believe that the size of your hands isn't really a barrier to success with sleight-of-hand, but using it as an excuse is. The human body and mind is surprisingly adaptable to new challenges and things which seem like utterly insurmountable obstacles fade into nothingness after a concerted amount of practice. If someone else can perform the move then you can too.

Jul 22, 2013
California
It makes it easier to do sleights and flourishes with smaller hands if you know how to practice. If you're doing the wrong warm ups or techniques or whatever, you will never get better. It would be great if someone could recommend some warmups and exercises :) practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results