Being Nervous

Aug 1, 2008
hey everyone at t11 today me and my cousin are going to go out and film some magic.this is my first time really goin out and doing it for real ppl,i mean i have done shows for people but there people i know.so im still a little nervous.i was just wondering if anyone has any way that the get over being nervous and if anyone can help me to not be come so nervous when i perform for real live ppl thanks for the help

a08

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Everyone goes through nervousness. Nerves are good - but in time you'll start feeling them less. But it's completely natural dude, just keep at it, and you'll do fine. Keep breathing, and if you're really unsure, start with a self-working trick. It also usually disappears a short while into the performance.

Also, try performing in places where you're comfortable, that you know very well. I've been on stage for God knows how long, at least a decade, and though it was always due to acting rather than magic, since I've started performing stage/cabaret/parlour etc. I've never had shaky hands performing magic in stage-like venues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm always nervous, too, and my hands are sweating, which makes even double lifts extremely hard, but I overcome this if I perform almost self working tricks.
Buy true astonishments, there are tons of almost self working tricks.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
hey everyone at t11 today me and my cousin are going to go out and film some magic.this is my first time really goin out and doing it for real ppl,i mean i have done shows for people but there people i know.so im still a little nervous.i was just wondering if anyone has any way that the get over being nervous and if anyone can help me to not be come so nervous when i perform for real live ppl thanks for the help

a08

another thing that can help is to try to know your audience first, WITHOUT MAGIC, talk to them, know them a little, it helps.

yea u just havta do it. make sure u are confident in your abilites
also having a camera man helps break the ice a little.
take a deep breath first.
every time u do it, it gets easier.
you will shake and start to be nervous. this will happen. because you're pumping adreniline and thats what it'll do.
good luck and just have fun.
if you mess up, oh well go to the next person, you'll learn from mistakes

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
As everyone else has mentioned, getting nervous is completely normal. I used to get very shaky and sweaty hands both at the same time. I could hardly perform a double lift if my life depended on it. The cards would warp and get hot and it was just a mess. Sometimes my leg would start tapping or shaking. I think Danny T or someone else said the same thing about their leg.

You just need to perform over and over and over and eventually this goes away. I always start out with a self worker to calm my nerves a little. Your adrenaline will start pumping after the first reaction and then you will get into your rhythm and routine.

When I am going to be performing for a new crowd I will use the same 7-10 effects that I know I have banged out over and over for the past year and know the different situations that have come up during those particular effects.

You'll be fine. Have fun..smile..and laugh with the audience. They will have fun if you are.

Aug 1, 2008
thanks everyone i think im goin go out there n just have fun with it.if i get some video ill post it and see what you guys think

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Nice Job getting out there and performing.
As far as reactions...Thread worked well for you. Everything else was just so so but who cares. You actually went out and got experience. Now learn from it. Make your performances more entertaining and dramatic. Get the people involved more emotionally.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results