Believe Discussion: Psychology?

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
Well, first of all I have to comment on the trick since I haven't put up a review of it: The trick is simple but it kicks a$$, it's fairly easy, especially when not using the optional sleights offered on the DVD, and it was taught really good had to rewind a couple times but not a problem. It was my second purchase from T11 and so far I like t11's products although I like Prophet (my first purchase) a little more but this is better in such ways as it's impromptu and examinable.

Ok now back on topic I have a question of: why believe works? I performed it yesterday and it got great reactions, better than shifty which I performed right before Believe, and I would think that the wrong card turned into the right, is a fairly old plot. But why is this better? Why does this get better reactions then, say, I show them the wrong card and then snap change into the right one?

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
I think it is so effective because of it's simple plot. Not to mention, the change in pure eye candy, and if you mix that with what is really happening in their heads, it is incredibly powerful to a spectator. There is something unexplainable and cool about a magician waving his hands over something and causing it to change. This effect simply looks amazing, so it forces people to avoid challenging what they saw. It is easier to just enjoy it. That's how I interpret it, Joel's explanation is brilliant, but it does kinda leave you hanging imo (thats why I like his style so much). But yes, the whole concept is well thought out.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I think the big thing is that though a spectator could imagine when you snap change a card you could be quickly switching the cards in some way.

The big up with Believe however is that they see an indifferent card get mutilated and is set down, the don't expect any thing fishy could be going on... Then you change the corner into a corner matching theirs...ok, pretty cool..

The impact really comes when the turn the rest of the card over and see it's their SIGNED card. You didn't tear up that card, it does make you double take. I've had awesome reactions from the effect also - it's simple and direct, but isn't lacking in mysticism like some simpler card plots do.

D.

Sep 1, 2007
I don't own the trick yet, but I know what it is. To a magician, this is a fairly standard plot, with a minor twist.

But to the spectator, it is something more. If the magician is able to make them think--make them believe (if you will)--that the card's torn corner changes independently of the card, and then that the card follows, it will be exponentially more powerful. This is perhaps because of the focus of the trick and the natural handling. It is all about where attention is drawn. The sequence of the trick causes the spectator to believe what the magician says, even if it is not proved.

What I mean to say is this: Take the classic gag where you hold up a card and have someone freely name a card and then turn it around and deliver the punchline: "and your card magically changes into..." whatever the card actually is.

It's a joke and the audience knows it. But if you add proof to a part of it, you can make them believe...

Does that make any sense?

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I think Dee hit the nail right on the head with everything. A colour change in any form is amazing to a spectator, however everyone of them either happens very fast or under cover. Even though with believe it happens undercover, It happens with a wave and the spectator believes that they see the corner change. And due to the effect itself essentially it is the same corner that changes (shape and size). The only other thing and what I believe is the most powerful part of the effect is that it is what real magic looks like in the spectators eyes. Everyone saw magic when they were younger usually on a tv special. And when they see those effects years later they do not seem as impossible anymore. The power with believe it looks how it should, you rip a corner off the card place the card on the table and the wrong corner face up wave your hands it is done, one piece visual changes and the other even though it doesn't the spectator does not remember that.

D

Deleted member 2755

Believe works because of the simplicity. It is so incredibly easy to understand. However, it most likely was because of your presentation. You could get a better reaction from Shifty than Believe if you really wanted to. You just need to think of a better way to present the effect. Believe is just... take a card, lose it, take a corner of a random card, rip it... then watch as it VISUALLY changes right in front of them to their selection. It is an amazing thing. However, you could present Shifty in a way to hype it up.

There are some effects of course that will get better reactions than others sometimes just because of the nature of the effect. I don't own this, but look at Andrew Mayne's Twisted. (I think that's what it is.) You mess up their dollar bill so they visually see something that is not possible. It's also like a levitation. You are showing them something visual that is not possible.

There are some effects that will get better reactions just because of the nature of the effect. However, ultimately you control the reaction of a spectator.

-Doug

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
I enjoyed reading your responses, because the psychology of this effect just astounds me and it's so good, and if more effects could have the same type of psychology behind them then magic would be even better than it is already. I think that the nature of the effect somewhat builds up the tension, without having you build it up, because the whle card is still there face-down maybe that's it. I don't know what it is but this effect in my opinion is self-working presentation-wise. It's awesome!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results