Best opener?

Jun 30, 2009
hey i am going to do a walk around routine at restaurants and i was wondering what is the best routine/ opener ...

here are the tricks i have in my arsenal that i have selected to do..
as i know you want 3-4 tricks at the max.. mostly because they are there to eat not watch magic..

but here they are:
color monte
sponge balls
coin behind ear- transition into coin bend..
french kiss.. from the art of magic ( maybe in their hands not their mouth)

a elevator card routine that i put together-
do a double lift, explain everytime you snap the card rises- then final snap its on the top.. then i say its harder to make it go down than up .. they put the card back in the deck then place the cards on top of the card box and then they snap some more and wola the card has penetrated the box and it is now inside..

grandpa deck - a perfect walk around trick instant repeatable..
http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=3987

a simpe forced card reveal

but there are the tricks that i picked out from what i know that would be easy enough for a walk around

but let me know what you think.. or any routine ideas / and the best opener you think i should do!

also what is the best way to approach a table?

thanks guys!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2008
I think Angle Zero would be a good opener. Also, make sure you always have a few extra tricks than you plan on showing them just in case they want to see more.

Mar 29, 2009
hey i am going to do a walk around routine at restaurants and i was wondering what is the best routine/ opener ...

here are the tricks i have in my arsenal that i have selected to do..
as i know you want 3-4 tricks at the max.. mostly because they are there to eat not watch magic..

but here they are:
color monte
sponge balls
coin behind ear- transition into coin bend..
french kiss.. from the art of magic ( maybe in their hands not their mouth)

a elevator card routine that i put together-
do a double lift, explain everytime you snap the card rises- then final snap its on the top.. then i say its harder to make it go down than up .. they put the card back in the deck then place the cards on top of the card box and then they snap some more and wola the card has penetrated the box and it is now inside..

grandpa deck - a perfect walk around trick instant repeatable..
http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=3987

a simpe forced card reveal

but there are the tricks that i picked out from what i know that would be easy enough for a walk around

but let me know what you think.. or any routine ideas / and the best opener you think i should do!

also what is the best way to approach a table?

thanks guys!!!

I wouldn't perform so much magic involving their hands. Sponge balls and French Kiss both are based (at least in part) on the spectator keeping cards, balls under hands. Two bad things A) if their hands are dirty all your equipment will get sticky, and B) If I'm at a restaurant I'd like not to touch anything coming from a stranger (as a magician would). Still like coin idea and color monte.
(Also, prepare 2 different 4/5 routines: if the table near looks at you performing you can't repeat the same routine at it, and get ready a good "tip thank you" trick to do only to the people which tips you)

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
Well What was said above is good. I wouldn't go to a table if they were eating period! Show them magic while they are waiting, don't interrupt them while they are eating their meal. If you can go right over after they just ordered and got their drinks. That will ensure that the waiter won't come in on you during your routine. About the opener... Sponge balls.

Oct 19, 2007
I think Angle Zero would be a good opener. Also, make sure you always have a few extra tricks than you plan on showing them just in case they want to see more.

I would save Angle Zero for a closer...........................(leaves them talking afterwards)

Jan 28, 2009
Belgium, Antwerp
poker opener by joshua jay

an opener needs to be fast,funny and has a lot of magic in it.

I use poker opener by joshua jay, but thats just cous I do an assambly afther that.

_Gianni.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I used a TT silk appearance and vanish (using a diamond cut silk). I also used Joker's wild a lot. I worked in a place that didn't have a lot of kids and I think after both of these effects it convinced people that you can actually do something good. They are fast, flashy, and impressive to get their attention. Of course after either of these they want to see more. Then I can move onto my next effect. And time permitting, I would often close with sponge balls (adults love sponge balls more than kids it seems ;) ). The sponge ball routine I use ends with the balls all vanishing. It worked great as a closer for me. They vanish, I thank them for their time, they clap and tip, and I move on.

Remember you are mostly doing magic for them BEFORE their food arrives, so don't worry about your props getting dirty. If they do, meh, cards and sponge balls are cheap to replace. (that said, I usually tried to do the card tricks with the adults - kids bend the cards too much.) Get the magic in their hands if possible - much more powerful imo.

Fast, Flashy, and impressive.

Do you have a job yet or are you looking?

Mar 29, 2009
I used a TT silk appearance and vanish (using a diamond cut silk). I also used Joker's wild a lot. I worked in a place that didn't have a lot of kids and I think after both of these effects it convinced people that you can actually do something good. They are fast, flashy, and impressive to get their attention. Of course after either of these they want to see more. Then I can move onto my next effect. And time permitting, I would often close with sponge balls (adults love sponge balls more than kids it seems ;) ). The sponge ball routine I use ends with the balls all vanishing. It worked great as a closer for me. They vanish, I thank them for their time, they clap and tip, and I move on.

Remember you are mostly doing magic for them BEFORE their food arrives, so don't worry about your props getting dirty. If they do, meh, cards and sponge balls are cheap to replace. (that said, I usually tried to do the card tricks with the adults - kids bend the cards too much.) Get the magic in their hands if possible - much more powerful imo.

Fast, Flashy, and impressive.

Do you have a job yet or are you looking?

I agree with the "magic in their hands", and if their hands are clean, go with "in hands" tricks.

Sep 12, 2007
Normandy, FRANCE
You could use "Hermes" by David Stone : fast, visual, and really magic ! With this kind of opener you immediatly get the attention of the entire table, and make them want to see more !

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
Make sure you make it seem like you are a benefit to the restaurant!!!!!!!! I didn't say that with a movie theater and got shot down like a WWII plane! Point out that the customer is bored while waiting for their food for 10 - 15 min. You entertain the customer and make the time fly by! Say that when you see the manager... Don't make the same mistake I did.

What bout french kiss from David Stone. They pick a card, and boom it is in your mouth. If you are going to work restaurants I would highly advise you to get David Stone's "The real secrets of Magic" dvds. So much great material on there,

I would second all of the above advice. Your spongeballs could get very dirty, or dropped in their drinks and that would be awful. Try to be as visual as possible and that will make up for less of the magic taking place in their hands.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I would second all of the above advice. Your spongeballs could get very dirty, or dropped in their drinks and that would be awful. Try to be as visual as possible and that will make up for less of the magic taking place in their hands.

I don't know.
I would perform sponge balls at a restaurant for kids and adults. The whole family seems to love it.
Yeah the sponge balls could get dirty, but that could happen anywhere you're performing. At the end of the night, you can wash them if they're dirty, they're sponges after all.

Like what people have said before me, you need to perform before the food comes and when it does arrive, you need to finish whatever trick you're in the middle of quickly and say something like,
"Thank you for your time, enjoy your food. If you want to see more magic let your server know and I'll perform a little more for you guys before you leave. Have a good evening."

Good luck with the job though.
As for an opener, follow everyone's advice by performing a trick fast and visual.
Don't tell them to pick and memorize three cards and give them more directions on top of that.
Most of the time an opener is very simple, so don't over do it. (No DnD stuff):p

Jun 30, 2009
thanks guys all that advice is very useful!

routine numero uno

i think im going to open with my grandpa deck.. the cards have random names on the back..

all they do is cut the cards.. memorize the card they cut to .. and someone else (or the same person) thinks of a common guys name .. you find that guys name and viola its their card

short simple.. hits hard.

then from their probably do sponge balls...

after sponge balls move into my coin behind ear transition into signed coin bend ( let them keep the coin)
and if time permits the signed card transpo

routine numero dos

intro flash paper reveal- write with a sharpie the pip of a card in your left hand.. force the card then place the flash paper in your hand light then reveal hard hitting quick easy and very flashy!

jokers wild with the shadow master deck ( joker has 3 of diamonds) Perfect for 3 people!!!

sponge balls ( everybody loves them i agree) and they are cheap so i can buy more : )

switch decks... ( what is your thought on this is it okay to switch from the shadow masters to a normal deck?)

then do the elevator acr with the card penatration through the box

end with signed coin bend

and if they ask for more .. take my pic
color monte
2 card monte
force reveal
elevator acr

and tons more you can do with a deck of cards

let me know what you think!
thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2008
Chicago, IL
Opener

Hello -

Openers should be quick, involve the spectator, and fun. I always use the tranposition below for an opener. This immediately gets a reaction and shows your audience that you know what you're doing. Because this is a strong effect let give it time to sink in and allow your audience to react. It will give you time to setup your deck for another effect or switch over to a new medium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D1bVhh49Vo

Thanks,

Kirby

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
It isn't about the effects if you haven't got the job yet. PLEASE make sure you present yourself as a benefit to the restaurant, OR YOU AREN'T GOING TO HAVE A JOB TO BEGIN WITH. (I know I said it in a previous post) Getting you effects sorted out before the day you start, is like getting a paint job on the car but without a car! Please read this man.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results