Bizarrest Magician performance advice

Vi

Jan 25, 2020
California, USA
Hello, I'm new here and I need some tips or some advice.

I started back into magic last year in May and I love bizarre magicians and their style of magic and I also love being a character for performing my magic.

If anyone doesn't know what bizarre magic is...
Bizarre Magicians often use authentic antique or simulated artifacts to enhance their presentations. Storytelling is also employed for a greater sense of theatrical authenticity. Techniques such as these distinguish Bizarre from other types of magic performance. Max Maven has said of Bizarre Magic that it "references a larger magical world beyond the boundaries of the performance."

So I wondering if anyone has any references I can look at in bizarre magic or any magic performances I can watch and how do you get into character when performing magic.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The key to bizarre magic is not the tricks, but the theatrics of it. Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber, Scripting Magic by Pete McCabe, and Alchemical Tools by Paul Brook are three books I would strongly recommend.

For bizarre material some suggestions would be - anything by Doc Shiels, Spirit Theater by Eugene Burger, Garden of the Strange by Caleb Strange, Into the Grey by Eugene Poinc (and anything else of his if you can find it), Capricornian Tales by Christian Chelman.

Another important thing that isn't really discussed very much - whatever type of show you're going to do, make sure you study the subject.

Nothing ruins a show faster than realizing the performer has not idea what they're actually talking about. So if you're going to do something with ESP, be at least conversationally knowledgeable about historic and current ESP research. If you're going to talk about myths and legends, make sure you actually know those myths and legends. If you're going to do anything ritualistic, you're going to want to be aware of the belief systems those rituals come from - both for authenticity and also so you don't offend anyone who follows them.

Feb 8, 2019
Aiken, SC
I agree with @WitchDocIsIn. Focus on presentation and be well versed and knowledgeable about the topics you present. However, for material I would suggest anything from Eugene Burger or Paul Voodini.

Feb 8, 2019
Aiken, SC
Also, in addition to presentation, theatrics are important as well. For example, take into consideration what you wear, your hairstyle, etc. Now I'm not suggesting you change your whole look, but when you perform look the part. You could wear robes or dark clothes or whatever fits your style. Just be careful not to end up looking silly. Also take into consideration the performance enviroment. If you can decorate it, dim the lights, etc. Just try to set the mood to what you want your audience feel.

Vi

Jan 25, 2020
California, USA
@ChaseC6 I have been working on being a character when I perform like how Carisa Hendrix uses characters when she performs. I see what you mean when it comes to the presentation aspect.

Reactions: ChaseC6

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Elizabeth is another good one that was pretty popular. Shows how well one can do with the right setting and presentation, even using an incredibly simple method.

Reactions: Vi
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results