Black Ghost Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2008
I agree. 9$ is overkill. I mean, damn.

I just go to Costco and stock up on Bicycles. That always works.

..:Z:..

9 dollars? Ok you can forget about my original plan to buy a brick of these..:) MAN THEY ARE JUST PIECES OF PAPER! I can get a deck of Bikes for about a dollar and the US Playing Card Company still profits off that.... well let's look at this. The BG's should cost a little bit more considering that they have black ink all over them and there is a slightly bigger stock. So let's add 25 cents to our 1 dollar deck. (25 cents still might be over doing it... a dime would probably be fine, but let's add 25 cents to be safe.)

So the value of this deck = $1.50
Price Ellusionist charges for this deck= $8.99 (9 dollars pretty much...)

Sure sites like T11 charge 5 bucks for a deck.... but they are a company and their goal is to make money. So even though I think it's a bit expensive, I don't complain but 9 BUCKS FOR A CARDBOARD BOX AND 56 PIECES OF PAPER?! (2 ad cards and jokers :)) Man..... this annoys me.

I hope you enjoyed my rant. :)

-Doug

Sinful...

As far as I recall (I'm working so I can't check, but I'm pretty much 100% on this) in the podcast late last year, Brad said that the price of the decks goes down the more you buy. Therefore if you buy a brick of them, they work out closer to $6 or something each.

One other thing, don't mean to sound off but the whole "It costs this much to produce..." argument unfortunately doesn't hold much water. Everything you already own or will ever own - books, DVD's, posters, shoes, hats, tee-shirts, food, cigarettes, alcohol, cups n' saucers, cutlery, small plastic replicas of dogs in hats and boots, mirrors, vacuum cleaners, the bags that go in vacuum cleaners, the attachments that go on the end of vacuum cleaners, the petrol that goes in your car to drive to the department store to buy the vacuum cleaner in the first place - is marked up, most of the time to extortionate levels.

A good example is a DVD of a movie. Say Universal spend $200m dollars to make a film. They spend the equivalent on advertising it to get it to sell (believe it or not, this is in fact the case for the majority of Hollywood movies), so they've spent $400m.

The film takes in $800m at the global box office. True there are extra expenditures involved - prints and repro, delivery and all that rubbish - but it's miniscule in comparison to the other figures. So...they've made a healthy $400m profit. They then spend about a tenth of their original budget on mass producing the DVD of the same movie and sell it for $29.95. With the amount it works out to produce the DVD's, they'll still turn a 100% return on selling one for about $6...

We all still buy films though. Because we want to. Because it's the only way to get the film to see it again (legally) without having to wait for a year for it to come on TV.

It's called a free market.

A seller can choose the price of a product and a buyer can choose to buy that product or not.

The outcome of all this mark-up is profit.
Profit keeps businesses afloat (I should know, I have 4 businesses...people pay what i charge...or they don't, simple as that).
This keeps the business in business and making the products that, hopefully, people want to buy.

E don't have to make the BG 2nd Editions.
People want them.
They know that selling them will make a nice tidy profit.

Ain't nothing wrong with that.

If the world ran on good will we'd be living in very different circumstances than we are now.

Rabid

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
Sinful...

As far as I recall (I'm working so I can't check, but I'm pretty much 100% on this) in the podcast late last year, Brad said that the price of the decks goes down the more you buy. Therefore if you buy a brick of them, they work out closer to $6 or something each.

One other thing, don't mean to sound off but the whole "It costs this much to produce..." argument unfortunately doesn't hold much water. Everything you already own or will ever own - books, DVD's, posters, shoes, hats, tee-shirts, food, cigarettes, alcohol, cups n' saucers, cutlery, small plastic replicas of dogs in hats and boots, mirrors, vacuum cleaners, the bags that go in vacuum cleaners, the attachments that go on the end of vacuum cleaners, the petrol that goes in your car to drive to the department store to buy the vacuum cleaner in the first place - is marked up, most of the time to extortionate levels.

A good example is a DVD of a movie. Say Universal spend $200m dollars to make a film. They spend the equivalent on advertising it to get it to sell (believe it or not, this is in fact the case for the majority of Hollywood movies), so they've spent $400m.

The film takes in $800m at the global box office. True there are extra expenditures involved - prints and repro, delivery and all that rubbish - but it's miniscule in comparison to the other figures. So...they've made a healthy $400m profit. They then spend about a tenth of their original budget on mass producing the DVD of the same movie and sell it for $29.95. With the amount it works out to produce the DVD's, they'll still turn a 100% return on selling one for about $6...

We all still buy films though. Because we want to. Because it's the only way to get the film to see it again (legally) without having to wait for a year for it to come on TV.

It's called a free market.

A seller can choose the price of a product and a buyer can choose to buy that product or not.

The outcome of all this mark-up is profit.
Profit keeps businesses afloat (I should know, I have 4 businesses...people pay what i charge...or they don't, simple as that).
This keeps the business in business and making the products that, hopefully, people want to buy.

E don't have to make the BG 2nd Editions.
People want them.
They know that selling them will make a nice tidy profit.

Ain't nothing wrong with that.

If the world ran on good will we'd be living in very different circumstances than we are now.

Rabid

Ownage.

Without a doubt.

And for the love of God...please protect my dear vacuum cleaners Rabid!

Sep 1, 2007
Littleton
9 dollars? Ok you can forget about my original plan to buy a brick of these..:) MAN THEY ARE JUST PIECES OF PAPER! I can get a deck of Bikes for about a dollar and the US Playing Card Company still profits off that.... well let's look at this. The BG's should cost a little bit more considering that they have black ink all over them and there is a slightly bigger stock. So let's add 25 cents to our 1 dollar deck. (25 cents still might be over doing it... a dime would probably be fine, but let's add 25 cents to be safe.)

So the value of this deck = $1.50
Price Ellusionist charges for this deck= $8.99 (9 dollars pretty much...)

Sure sites like T11 charge 5 bucks for a deck.... but they are a company and their goal is to make money. So even though I think it's a bit expensive, I don't complain but 9 BUCKS FOR A CARDBOARD BOX AND 56 PIECES OF PAPER?! (2 ad cards and jokers :)) Man..... this annoys me.

I hope you enjoyed my rant. :)

-Doug

i would think about this. the world pretty much revolves around money. magicians are an exception. they care about quality more than anything. i knew some of the stuff on trilogy before i got it. i didnt learn exactly, but pretty close. i still got it though. that way i can learn the PERFECT way to do it. i am gonna buy the black ghosts for 2 reasons.

1. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L

2. high quality

there you go

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
ooo, that was a little harsh.

Lets not judge by that video to see if he already knew stuff from the Trilogy or not. I find that a little hard to believe though, because most tricks/flourishes on those DVDs were complex. Maybe he'll elaborate on what he already knew from the DVDS.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Guys, I must admit that I am a little disappointed.

We here at theory11 try to keep things as friendly, polite, civil, courteous, and most importantly fun as possible. However, the last several pages of this thread have not been any of the things that I already mentioned. This thread has strayed off-topic several times, and I had hoped that it would either die out, or that everyone would straighten up their act.

Unfortunately, neither of those things has happened, nor do I find it likely that they will happen. Therefore, I am going to close this thread, however, any private conversations that you may wish to have can be continued via PM.

Thanks everybody,
TDA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results