Book advice?

Sep 2, 2010
I think it is time to sit down, look over the effects I already know and really work them the right way. I want to refine everything from plot, script and handling ( if possible). So, I'd really like to know are there any books on performances, about getting the best out of an effect, proper timing and misdirection. Anything in mind?

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Excellent idea. Not many people sit down, and script out their magic anymore, which is a shame, because that really adds to a perfect performance.

Here are a few books you should take into consideration:

Scripting Magic by Peter McCabe, is an EXCELLENT EXCELLENT book that scripts effects FOR you. Research this book for more info, or contact me.

Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz. Again, another great book, which is all theory of magic, and teaches you how to become a great performer.

Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber lives up to it's name, and talks about the things the other books talk about. Pretty much how to make your magic more entertaining.

These are three excellent books, that you should really look into.

Best of luck,

-Sanj

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Ditto all of the books above and add a few:

Designing Miracles by Darwin Ortiz Strong Magic hits on all of the important parts of presentation, Designing Miracles does all of the behind the scenes work with structuring the effect itself for maximum impact.

Close Up:The Real Secrets of Magic by David Stone wouldn't hurt, but save it until after everything else. It isn't about effects per-say, but will help your approach to closeup magic (especially if you want to work in the field).

That's all I have off the top of my head, it's great to know you're going to go over the material you already do and refine it instead of looking for new material to perform.

Sep 2, 2010
I think he means just that. I actually have that one, and it IS A PEACE OF GOLD.. However I'll look at the above and pick one out of the bunch. Thanks.. :D

you know im glad you said that. erdnase does include alot about performing. Uniformity of action? Display of ability? Importance of details? deportment? Its all in the first 20 pages, people just over look it.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
My essential list is as follows:

-Strong Magic (Ortiz)
-Maximum Entertainment (Webber)
-Designing Miracles (Ortiz)
-The Five Points in Magic (Tamariz)

Only the last one hasn't yet been mentioned, I think. I'll get to your PM soon as well btw. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results