Book Review: Totally Out of Control - Chris Kenner

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Description: Chris Kenner's kook is different than any other magic books you may own. The book comes in two parts: Totally Out of Control and Out of Control. The second half of the book (OOC) is printed upside down, so when you get to the end of the first off you flip the book end over end and continue reading.

What You Get: The book is hardback bound and has 183 pages of magical effects for you to enjoy. Throughout the book are simple entertaining visual puzzles for you to engage yourself in and you'll be having fun and learning at the same time. OH! And how could I forget the bedroom door hanger things to indicate to people to leave you alone as you read the book :p

Contents: You first get an introduction which is wrote by David Copperfield, then the Prelude written by Chris Kenner and then instructions on how to read the book! Contained within this book are 30 magicalities for your talented hands. The majority of the book is cards and coins but there are effects which use rubber bands, ropes, cigars, business cards and even your close-up pad! The teaching is all text, hand drawn pictures and typical CK-Humour

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Totally Out of Control

Missing Link: This is Chris Kenner's linking rubber bands routine. The method is slightly complex at first but as with everything, it gets easier as you practice it. This routine is VERY visual and should not be passed by.

Hellbound: I love this coin effect, not too hard but hard enough to keep you occupied for a while. This effect is similar to that of a spellbound coin routine. The magician changes a silver coin to a copper one, he changes it back again, but :eek: oh no! A clink! He shows the audience there are in fact two coins... But they're both silver!!! After a quick coins across, the coins change yet again into two copper coins and the hands appear to be empty.

Three Fry: You can find a simple version of this effect in the 1-on-1 section of the site. One at a time, three coins vanish and re-appear at the fingertips, but as a kicker, after they come back, they change into copper coins!

Perversion: This is Chris Kenner's inversion routine. For those of you unfamiliar, a card is selected and is placed back into the deck. The performer explains it's a bit of a "fidgety" card and spreads the deck to show it's actually turned over. Again the card is placed into the deck the way it should be, but alas the card reverses itself yet again. For a third and final time, the card is left cleanly sticking out of the deck and this time the rest of the deck visually turns face up as the cards are spread to show this. Short, snappy and very fun to perform!

Travlrs 1: As the name might suggest, this is Chris's take on Larry Jennings' Open Travelers. It starts off with an invisible palm type effect where the 4 aces on at a time visually and impossible travel to join each other from the hands to the table - which is VERY easy and very open. At the end you even get the spectator involved as you place 3 of the aces under their hand; you then place the final ace reversed in the deck, as quick as it's placed in you spread the deck to show it's gone! And under the spectators hand is the fourth and final ace. (no double backers and no dupes) I LOVE this one.

4 For 4 Switch: Again I refer the reader to the 1-on-1 section of the site. But for those of you who don't want to defer from this most excellent review, it allows for 4 cards to be switched in for any number of other cards invisibly and smoothly. The move is also pretty damn invisible if you do it right.

Diet: This is a fun one to perform. The 4 Kings are shown and explained to be "Kannibals". They munch down on 2 indifferent cards, but oh noes! they ate too much and as a result have transformed into the four 8's. Like I said, this is a fun one to perform and there's even a few things integrated to throw fellow magi off of your sweet methodical scent.

Aftershock: I haven't looked too much at this one because it involves something I don't have or intend to buy. The effect however does sound interesting and I might give it more of a read today. The description is this "This is a coin assembly with a killer twist. Four halves gregariously convene under a single playing card, one at a time. In an attempt for the last coin to travel, however, the other three vanish from under the card and join the one in the hands."

In Ten City: Another fun routine to perform. Two black tens are shown and rubbed face to face on the deck, after their gentle rubbing they are shown to have magitastically transformed into the two red tens! Suddenly one black ten appears face up on top of the deck and not wanting to be left alone, the other one flies out of the deck and into the other hand! The two black tens are displayed and with a wave they BOTH VISUALLY change into the two red tens. This routine is a personal favourite of mine, just for the double colour change at the end. You can see Michael Kent in the media section here.

Long Gone Silver: This is 3 coin vanish and reproduction is very well thought out and is designed to fool the eyes and the ears! You'll learn an very deceptive "click" pass in this routine - something Chris calls the Aerial Stealth Subterfuge (I'll let you figure out that one ;)). Very fun to practice, but probably not something I personally would perform.

Menage Et Trois: Chris Kenner's Coins Across routine. VERY visual. One at a time, coins fly invisibly between the hands in the cleanest possible manner. This routine is really quite easy, it's ungimmicked and as previously stated VERY visual. You can see Katie Egleston perform this effect here.

Cloth and Pence: Again, not something I've read over in detail because it's not my style but I can imagine it and it does sound quite cool. Basically, 3 coins are placed into a silk/cloth. They completely vanish all at once, something impossible in itself. Then one at a time the coins are produced except for the last one, which the spectator produces invisibly, tosses it into the cloth where it can be heard to come back and join the other two. As I've said, not really something for me but is a very good effect in itself.

Well! That's the first half of the book, the Totally Out of Control half. In the next post you'll find a review of the effects in the other half and a summary of the book as a whole. So get yourself a cup of tea, a biscuit and scroll down :)

- Sean

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Now, are we all sitting comfortably children?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of Control

Print Shop: This is a fantastic way of giving out business cards! Your spectators certainly won't forget you with this. You explain that there's been a problem, the printers forgot to include the name and phone number on the cards, unfortunately only the logo is printed. Thinking on his feet, he snaps his fingers over the blanknicity and instantly a name. address and phone number appear printed on each of his cards. Unfortunately my business card won't work with this, but it's still a VERY nice way of handing out your card.

Schwing: Another effect available from the 1-on-1 section of the site. This is an impromptu, all fingers visible rising card. This is very fun to perform, it's a little knacky I won't lie but when you can do it, it's one of the best impromptu rising cards out there. :D

Twin Peeks: This is my absolute favourite effect in the book. This will fool magicians who are unaware of the method ESPECIALLY if you borrow their deck! In Twin Peeks a card is selected and FAIRLY lost in the deck, no force, no breaks, no crimps, no peeking, no key card and most definitely no marking. And yet still the magician can find their card. The magician offers to try again, a little different this time. The spectator deals cards from the top of the deck and they can stop anytime they like. The magician does not see the card or touch the deck at all. The card is shuffled back in by the spectator and you still manage to find their card. It really is as fair as it sounds.

Twister: This effect is a very nice "Twisting the Aces/Re-Set" type of effect. One by one the aces turn over face up, the unexpectedly they change one by one into the four kings! Then, just for fun and because he can, our magician turns them back (yet again!) into the four aces. You'll have our spectators heads going round in circles with this, relatively easy and visual and that's what we all want these days isn't it?

The Deep: Ominous as the title sounds, this isn't a horrible effect where the spectator must survive for 4 days treading water in the English Channel surrounded by sharks and piranhas. This is another coin routine, an open handed palm up coins across with no need for extra coins or gaffs. This is a damn decent routine and you can betcha I'll be looking at this one a lot.

Into the Woods: This sounds like a fun routine to do, but due to it's requirements I haven't had the time to look at properly. It involves the magician showing a small purse and impossibly producing two wooden cigars from it. After handing the cigars and purse to the spectators the conclude that it's impossible for them to fit inside - and it is. After much amusing byplay about wood, the magician puts the cigars away only to keep finding them back at his fingertips. Realising that smoking kills, the cigars are vanished completely from his hands and he walks away with two very healthy lungs :D

Sybil: The original Sybil cut in full. Please note that this is not a trick, it is merely a very nice looking flourish.

The Five Faces of Sybil: This is another fancy cut based off of the original Sybil. I quote "If you are looking for a perfectly deceptive cut that unbelievably restores the entire deck back in its original order....This isn't it."

Bad Credit: Another fantastic trick from the book. This is a collectors routine with a nice card to box integrated with it. Three selections are made and placed on the table - these haven't been paying their rent. Under pretense that the four kings are workers for the landlord and they are placed into the box. The three selections are lost in the deck and with a snap the magician states that the workers have caught the naughty tenants and the box is opened. Inside are the four kings with 3 face down cards interlaced between them - The three selections. No dupes, no force, pure sleight of hand.

3, 2, One: This is a 3 coin production and vanish which utilises a rather ingenious method. Being as coins aren't really my forte it's again not really something I've taken an in depth look at. I can say from reading it however, it would be something most useful for those of you whose acts/routines involve a lot of coin work.

Paint By Numbers: This is a very strange and fantastic effect using something I've never before seen used in this way. The premise of the effect is that four kings are lost in the deck and the deck shuffled face up and face down. Now, here's where it gets different, the magician "wields an impromptu pasteboard paintbrush" and proceeds to paint four royal flushes using only a pack of cards and a close-up mat as the canvas.

Must Be 21 To Enter: Fantastically amusing. Another magician fooler. No doubt you've all experienced the "I'll show you a card trick" and then you die a little inside as they begin to deal 3 piles of 7 cards. This is Chris' fantabulously magical answer to those cringe worthy moments. The spectator deals 3 piles of seven cards an which way they like. They choose a pile and choose a card from selected pile. The card is lost in a fair manner by the spectator and the 21 cards shuffled into the deck again by the spectator. Everything is fair, no forces, no crimps, no key cards - Just one deviously simple principle which is sure to get your creative juices flowing.

Poker in the Eyes: Ever wanted to explain the different types of Poker Hands simple to someone but never really had their full attention? Try this! A pair of 2's are shown, but being as they aren't very high they are transformed into a pair of jacks in the most magically tantalising way. Better than a pair however, is three of a kind and so the magician changes the Jacks into three 2's! Now normally a hand is made up of five cards so a "hole" card magically appears... It's a Jack... almost instantly the performer produces a 5th card! It's another Jack, making for one sexy full house. Better than a full house? A Royal Flush of course and yet again, instantly and visibly a royal flush is produced.

S.W. Elevator: Probably the one most of you know about from reading other posts. The magician offers to show the spectators a rather alarmingly visual display. He leaves a card protruding from the deck around 3 cards from the bottom. With a gust of wind from his divinely gorgeous botox inflated lips the card is shown to have risen up about half of the deck. Impossible! You say? Nay says I. For he does it twice more until the card visually pops to the top of the deck. You can see Jeff Teo perform a different version of this here. (thanks MagicSpider)

Sybil the Trick: This is a nice little trick which makes use of the Sybil cut taught earlier in the book. Four Prediction cards are taken out of the deck and placed onto the table. A card is selected (e.g.10 of hearts) and returned before a number from 10 to 20 is named - say 17. With a fancy cut, the performer produces a small packet from the the deck, upon further inspection it is found that on the face is the 10 of hearts and what's more is there are exactly 17 cards! But wait! I bet you forgot about the prediction cards... Yep, you guessed it, they sum up too 17.

O.O.S.P.C.A: If like me, you saw this dotted around sites all over the place and didn't have a clue what it meant, you'll be pleasantly surprised to know that it's written in the book - no I'm not going to tell you here. Would you believe it? Another coins across, you've certainly got options you crazy coin workers you. This time it's four coins from one hand, over the grassy knoll, to the other.

5 Speed: This is a rather fun one to do. The ace through five of spades are removed from the deck. True to an Ambitious Card, the Ace and Two rise to the top of the packet despite being buried in the middle - they are duly discarded. The three is next, sandwiched between the four and five - suddenly all three cards turn into threes! However upon closer inspection, they appear to be fine as the three, four and five. The three is sandwiched one more time for good measure but when it's turned face up, it's changed into the joker!!! No other cards are to be found and they are shown in the cleanest manner.

3-D Ropes: A classic of magic! The Cut and Restored Rope. This is a very visual routine and is highly creative in method. The magician cuts the rope in two and then shows it to be magically restored! The audience, not impressed, kindly point out that it's just been tied together with a knot. The magician politely spits in their faces and tugs at the ends of the rope where the not simply melts away revealing one length of lovely rope. Hard Mode: The rope is cut into three equal pieces! Six ends are gathered together and yet the mess restores itself into the original solid piece!!! A strong tug on the rope guarantees it to be solid.

Summary: Chris Kenner's thinking and approach to magic is very creative and the routines found within is book reflect that immensely. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for new magical and visual effects! The teaching may be a little hard for anyone who has not learned from a style like it before.

- Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Phew!... Well, that's it folks. This lengthy review is done with. I hope you've enjoyed this journey through Chris's book and I hope I've given you at least a decent outline of what you can get out of it. :)

If there are any questions please don't be afraid to ask them here! If you've got a question, chances are someone has the same one so save yourself the pain and trouble of keeping it in and just ask! :D

Thanks for reading.

- Sean

Nov 22, 2007
The performance one Elevator by Jeff Tao is not S.W. Elevator, it's the elevator from Shigeo Futgawa's lecture notes.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Awesome review Sean! If I hadn't already pre-ordered my copy from Kaufman I would have ordered it immediately after reading this thorough review giving detail on every effect within the book. I will let you know which are my favorites when I am done crawling through it =)

--Jim

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
The performance one Elevator by Jeff Tao is not S.W. Elevator, it's the elevator from Shigeo Futgawa's lecture notes.

Ah, thanks for that, I'll change it. Or at least mention that the effect is similar to it. I thought it looked different.

Awesome review Sean! If I hadn't already pre-ordered my copy from Kaufman I would have ordered it immediately after reading this thorough review giving detail on every effect within the book. I will let you know which are my favorites when I am done crawling through it =)

--Jim

You're most welcome Jim, I try to do this with every review because I find it gives people a really good idea of what to expect and what they can and can't find within :)

You spelled Jeff's name wrong.

I did? Would you mind correcting me please? Thanks :)

- Sean

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results