Branching out from cards?

Hey

I was looking to get some advice from you guys on what effects/routines you would recommend to me.

I started off as a card man mainly and still am but I'm looking to branch out my magic.

The things I have which aren't related to cards or involve something else with cards are; eXile, CoinOne, 13 steps to mentalism, hundy 500, extreme burn, copper/silver and LIT.

I am think about getting the WOW because its a nice straight to the point effect.

However I just would like your opinions on what else you would recommend. I'm hoping to get into weddings, corporate events, bar/restaurant work etc. so anything which may be relate to these setting would be great.

Also I'm looking for a nice routine effect such as chop cups etc.

Any suggestions will be great =]

Sam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I am think about getting the WOW because its a nice straight to the point effect.

Don't get that. Seriously, I have no idea why people think it's so great. I don't have it and never plan on getting it, but just look at it. It spells "Gimmick" all over it. The audience will know for sure it's just a trick plastic case. And seriously? Why the heck would you put a card into a cheesy looking plastic case to make it change. Just my opinion though. Go with whatever you want.
AoA has a bunch of random magic in them. I don't have them, but have only heard great things about them.

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
AOA is a good recommendation.

From this site, I'd recommend:

-Redline
-Cookie Cutter

From other sites, I'd recommend:

-Warning by Kostya Kimlat
-Extreme Burn 2.0 (when it comes out - soon!)
-Any ring flight

Those are just what I perform the most.

I'll add more if I think of more.

And, if you really want to get WOW (which again, as stated above, is not worth anything at all, I have it and have only used it twice, when the spectators have asked to examine the card case...) I'll sell you it for cheaper ;)

Best,

-Sanj

Don't get that. Seriously, I have no idea why people think it's so great. I don't have it and never plan on getting it, but just look at it. It spells "Gimmick" all over it. The audience will know for sure it's just a trick plastic case. And seriously? Why the heck would you put a card into a cheesy looking plastic case to make it change. Just my opinion though. Go with whatever you want.
AoA has a bunch of random magic in them. I don't have them, but have only heard great things about them.
It was just a thought in the mind about getting it.
I'm just looking for your suggestions and comments so thats great =]

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

Whats wrong with world of warcraft? huh punk?(sarcasm)

But i do agree with you on that. But for kids,its a must.

For effects and presentational advice rolled into one is freezer burn by chris lafferty. Magic with ice? Holy sheesh ya'll. Twas a dream. you'll smoke those cardists easily.
I also recommend now you see it now you dont by bill tarr.
Others I will post later.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
You should pick up the Gypsy Thread on this website. It get huge reactions and perform when I get the chance.

i LOVE wow. and i do use it. and if you work the patter right, no one questions it.
But why would you want wow if you are trying to get away from cards?
i do rubik rememberd, which takes time and practice!. (same with all tricks) fiber optics, liquid metal, some business card magic is nice too

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
Good job! I see too many "card drones" on the internet.

Do some coin magic! David Roth's ECMME is great for learning coin magic.

Animation effects are always strong, buy a 1000 ft spool of kevlar, and you're set for life!

Warning! by Kosta Kimlat (as Sanj recommended) is super visual, and gets a great response.

If you're new to coin magic, don't get CoinOne. It's probably too advanced for you. Plus, it's and overpriced DVD for one coin effect, that's probably based off something Michael Ammar or David Roth has alrady done.

the AoA books are.... astonishing. Paul Harris is a badass.

Anything by Jay Sankey is worth your money. (Anytime Anywhere is awesome, full of nothing but impromtu magic with borrowed objects!)

Gregoy Wilson's On The Spot vol 1 & 2 willl change the way you see magic! Never again will you not have cards or coins, and decline performing.

So there's some advice. Again, good job in not being a "card drone"!

Sep 6, 2009
Yea same as the guys on top, I recommend AoA =D Lubers lens is awesome =D

I also recommend getting some Loops (Make your own. Don't buy it. It's overpriced =.=) to do tricks like Life. It doesn't get reactions, people just stare at you

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Maybe pick up a book like Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic (Josh Jay has a complete course book too) and try and learn a few different things for one low price.

After experiencing a little bit of everything you can see what it is you really want to do with magic and buy more specific effects.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results