Aug 5, 2016
Hello!
So in a months time I have a busking thing that goes on for most of the day at school, were we raise money and preform for the School boarders, Im the only magician everyone else plays an instrument.
So i was wondering ive never busked before, i have a 2 year experience with magic with a few breaks in between. I was wondering for some information on some tricks and tips when busking. I have had experience preforming, i preform every second week for a group of teachers.
I mostly do card magic but i was wondering if you could direct me to were i could find some every day item tricks that are angle proof. Maybe some dvds?
Thanks, Morgan

P.S Im 14

Jun 6, 2015
Charlotte NC
This is a tough situation to perform in, that being said, it can be done.
A lot of the time when a younger person is performing magic, people will be very cynical. So in these situations, you're gonna want to blow everyone's expectations right out the door and fast.
I've had the most success when starting with an effect that's quick, visual, and impossible. The Invisible Deck is a great one to start out with, that'll definitely pique their interest. I think Jay Sankey's material is really great as well, his dvd "Anytime Anywhere" is all about impromptu magic with borrowed objects.
I wish you the best of luck, and have fun!

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
First of all, awesome that you get to perform your first busking set! Have fun and you will do great!

Here is some advice to get in the mindset of busking:

-keep in mind you need to convince people to give you money, so performing effects using money are always good.
-try not to cram as many tricks in as you can. pick the 3-5 tricks you are best at and go from there.
-have effects ready that people can follow even if they walked in the middle of them. This will help keep late comers attention.
-play BIG! Make sure everyone can see what you are doing. Card tricks are fine, but make sure it plays big to a large crowd.
-prepare a "hatline." This is simply the line or phrase you will use to tell people to tip you. I have my hatline built in to my closer "Hatline Prediction." If you want an example you are welcome to check it out in the marketplace. :)

As far as effects to use. I would suggest the following:
-Bill/Card to lemon/Impossible location (these effects play big, and if you use money you will more than likely get to keep it. Plus it is fairly easy to perform.)
-Angle Z or some extra corner type effect if you are not comfortable with performing a card to impossible location using sleights. This is fairly easy to perform and is REALLY STRONG
-Extreme burn/Bill change (or anything using money.)
-Spongeballs
-rope magic

As long as you already have some established tricks that play big you should be fine! :)

Oct 19, 2015
I love both sponge balls and rope tricks as Mr. Obrien mentions. Sponge balls take some practice to do well, I am not sure you have time to master these based on your comments, unless you already know them. My two favorite rope tricks which are easy to learn to do well are Professor's Nightmare and Cut & Restored Knot! I have a DVD from Magic Makers that has 30 tricks. It is easy to follow and learn and it gives you multiple options on the main tricks for performance. www.MagicMakersInc.com I do not think it was to expensive.

Aug 5, 2016
T
First of all, awesome that you get to perform your first busking set! Have fun and you will do great!

Here is some advice to get in the mindset of busking:

-keep in mind you need to convince people to give you money, so performing effects using money are always good.
-try not to cram as many tricks in as you can. pick the 3-5 tricks you are best at and go from there.
-have effects ready that people can follow even if they walked in the middle of them. This will help keep late comers attention.
-play BIG! Make sure everyone can see what you are doing. Card tricks are fine, but make sure it plays big to a large crowd.
-prepare a "hatline." This is simply the line or phrase you will use to tell people to tip you. I have my hatline built in to my closer "Hatline Prediction." If you want an example you are welcome to check it out in the marketplace. :)

As far as effects to use. I would suggest the following:
-Bill/Card to lemon/Impossible location (these effects play big, and if you use money you will more than likely get to keep it. Plus it is fairly easy to perform.)
-Angle Z or some extra corner type effect if you are not comfortable with performing a card to impossible location using sleights. This is fairly easy to perform and is REALLY STRONG
-Extreme burn/Bill change (or anything using money.)
-Spongeballs
-rope magic

As long as you already have some established tricks that play big you should be fine! :)
Thanks for The help!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results