Buy This 1-on-1!

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
I will speak my 2 cents then go have a bowl of Lucky Charms.

Go into your local magic shop, sit down and ask questions about moves or sleights. Chances are, you will be taught something new. That is knowledge passed down from one magician to another to help progress our art.

The next logical move would be to ask where he/she learned that move/sleight and then buy that resource. That is how it goes in this game. Just like I have been DJing for 15 years, and now have 1.5tb of music that I have purchased. If I am in a club and hear a sick track, a friend might give me a copy of it. And after hearing it again, I will buy the friggin song to support our cause. Just like magic. Support the cause, if you see something you like, buy the damn thing.

I lost over 70+ DVDs while in Iraq alog with 40 some books. And while I can easily torrent them, I am showing repsect to the artists and BUYING everything all over again. And guess what? Michael Ammar heard what went on and ended up sending me all of his DVDs at no charge. Because he saw my attempts at being ethical.

With that aside, this change is amazing!!!

Mike

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I doubt it, to be honest. Magic is very unique as a field. I may be wrong, but there's very little precedence to do with many such magic related ethical issues. And it's simply not feasible to prosecute.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
Would this hold up in court? is there a law against showing a magic dvd to a friend?.

There is nothing wrong with having a friend over to watch a new purchase. Especially if that person didn't buy it yet themselves. I mean, I own more non-magic DVDs than anyone I have ever met, and of course I have movie nights where friends come over to watch a new DVD. That is not the issue.

I think we need to set everything up this way:

Let us say for a moment that you just released a brand new DVD with some of your most valued effects. The DVD sells for $30. So let's say that you took 50 copies of your DVD to a local magic convention. You demo some of your stuff, and people are really interested in buying it. So you have potentially 50 sales waiting to happen. But then you notice that only 25 were sold, because everyone brought a buddy with them to buy it so that the other person could watch and learn with them. Your potential sales just dropped by half.

Some of these artists rely on YOU to purchase the effects from them so that they can put food on the table. But with digital media, it makes it so much easier to send it to a friend, torrent it out...etc, that the value to actually WANT to put something out there makes it less appealing. And then you wonder why there are so many crappy YouTube magicians out there. What do they have to lose? They didn't buy the effect anyway.

Jun 10, 2010
Practicing the trick isn't bad -- On one condition: Both have you have each paid for your copy of the 1-on-1 for the trick in question, so both of you are simply combining heads to improve knowledge you have both rightfully earned.

Me and a friend both buy most of the same 1-on-1's and practice them together after we get the basic fundamentals, since we both know what to look for when the other performs it, therefore giving practical tips on how to improve it.

What you are doing is taking 6.95 away from T11 and Kelvin Chow (and maybe Andrei, since he is the teacher in this video) because you like to "take advantage of every situation".

If people were like you, than people like Andrei, JB, D&D, d+M, CK, and many more would be poor and struggling because they don't get the money they have earned..

Jun 10, 2010
Would this hold up in court? is there a law against showing a magic dvd to a friend?.

Sorry for the double post, but really? You will try and base ethics off of the ruling of a Judicial system? They decide what is CONSTITUTIONAL (atleast in America), and not what is ETHICAL. History has proved time and time again that ethics are not needed to be constitutional. Sharing that video is of course, legal. You're just making them lose 7 dollars because you're too damn cheap to buy the effect yourself, then learn it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results