C.f.b.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
I made a trick just like this, but mne requires a gimmick and not as great as yours. I would love to see the raw footage of this trick.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
The video has been submitted to T11; let's hope it doesn't get rejected :p

Unfortunately, it's a solo performance. My friend couldn't get the videos off of his camcorder (it's not a digital one, meh).

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Looks great. But it looks like you pull it out from the box, and not like it pop's out from the box on its own...

One question, can spectator put his chosen card into the box while all other cards are allready inside the box? (hope you know what i mean...)

Edit: This can be killer ACR ending

bd

Jun 26, 2008
Looks great. But it looks like you pull it out from the box, and not like it pop's out from the box on its own...

One question, can spectator put his chosen card into the box while all other cards are allready inside the box? (hope you know what i mean...)

Edit: This can be killer ACR ending

a) Yes, it's "pulled". I did not mean to give the wrong impression by using the word pop.

b) As of this time, no. All 52 cards must be placed in the deck at the same time.

c) Yes, it can be. ;)

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
It looks pretty cool, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's revolutionary or a completely new concept.

Now I could be completely wrong, but it looks like the same methodology as Oz Pearlman's Clutch. Definitely something to check out.

David

Sep 1, 2007
UK
When you say you do research, do you actually send the method out to experienced and knowledgeable cardmen? I mean people with REAL experience, that is, greater than 10 years.

Clutch, as has been mentioned, uses the same concept as this, but even Clutch isn't the first application of this idea, according to many of the reviews I was reading the other day. I for one know that I have played about with the idea before myself, but it had never crossed my mind once that it might be original, it's too obvious. :p

Your exact handling might well be "original", but the concept certainly is not.

Huruey

bd

Jun 26, 2008
When you say you do research, do you actually send the method out to experienced and knowledgeable cardmen? I mean people with REAL experience, that is, greater than 10 years.

Clutch, as has been mentioned, uses the same concept as this, but even Clutch isn't the first application of this idea, according to many of the reviews I was reading the other day. I for one know that I have played about with the idea before myself, but it had never crossed my mind once that it might be original, it's too obvious. :p

Your exact handling might well be "original", but the concept certainly is not.

Huruey

My research included scouring the net by myself. I also showed the trick and handling to three of the owners of Hocus Pocus Magic Shop, a worldwide magic supply company. Each of them has been in the business for well over 20 years, I believe.

And you're misinterpreting my use of the word 'concept'. I don't mean that a card coming from the box is a totally new and original idea; but to my knowledge (until you and several others pointed out Clutch), a completely impromptu, ungimmicked, single card "box-jumping" is a new concept.

Best regards,
Ben

Sep 1, 2007
UK
My research included scouring the net by myself. I also showed the trick and handling to three of the owners of Hocus Pocus Magic Shop, a worldwide magic supply company. Each of them has been in the business for well over 20 years, I believe.

And you're misinterpreting my use of the word 'concept'. I don't mean that a card coming from the box is a totally new and original idea; but to my knowledge (until you and several others pointed out Clutch), a completely impromptu, ungimmicked, single card "box-jumping" is a new concept.

Best regards,
Ben

Er... box jumping? By concept, I think we both mean the principle methodology behind the effect, don't we?

If you'd like some really good feedback and help in research, go to the magic cafe forums, specifically the workers (card sleights and stuff) forum and ask. Some of the guys there are very knowledgeable when it comes to cards. Ben Train, for example.

Huruey

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I've been doing that same effect for about a month now.. I'm not sure if it's the same handling as mine but it looks about the same.

Only difference is I just throw the box down onto say a table or into my other hand and one card is left in my original hand. Mine's impromtu as well. Only thing that would be different is the controlling. I don't know how you can control their selection if you're not touching the deck.

Sep 3, 2007
Ok, sorry about before, I didn't really understand the description.

Now that the video is up, it will be easier for me to help you.

This seems similar to Clutch, only that your effect is not done undercover. I personally like the undercover method because it adds more mystery, allows more buildup, and makes it appear even more hands-off. (but that's just my opinion)

First of all, when I first watched Oz Pearlman's Clutch video, a Darwin Ortiz idea popped into mind from his book "Designing Miracles". So I contacted Oz and asked him about the method. He was very honest and understanding about it.

So I would recommend emailing Oz Pearlman.

Or you can PM me.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Sorry to say, but I will be brutally honest here... this just looks like a small grain of an idea to me.

Furthermore, it looks to me to be pretty standard and a tad transparent to those with a keen eye... however that might just be me, the demo didn't phase me for a second.

I am very sorry to say, but this doesn't look like something that merits so much hype... it looks like something out of the Bonus section of a magic book.

Sorry to say, but I will be brutally honest here... this just looks like a small grain of an idea to me.

Furthermore, it looks to me to be pretty standard and a tad transparent to those with a keen eye... however that might just be me, the demo didn't phase me for a second.

I am very sorry to say, but this doesn't look like something that merits so much hype... it looks like something out of the Bonus section of a magic book.

Is it supposed to blow YOU away? Ben has had this in his routine for quite a while and i'm sure there is a good reason for that, it gets results from laymen. And, in the end, isn't that what matters? I'm always interested in seeing and reading about people's experience and work on an effect that has been one of their centerpieces.

C=B

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia

I kinda agree actually... I discovered pretty much the same effect when i was just doodling with a deck of cards in its box. i did it and just said "cool.." and yes, C=B, it may get MASSIVE reactions amongst laymen so there is reason to generate such hype, but perhaps this forum isn't the best way to do it because we're not laymen; we see it and go "ha! that's kinda cool" that's it.

Not saying it doesn't warrant hype, but perhaps just not amongst people who could figure it out just by watching the trailer once. The way it's being put out there is this is a groundbreaking new move. A groundbreaking move is one that will leave even magicians stumped. If you can stump a magician, you KNOW a layman hasn't got a chance in the world.

Do you see what I mean?

I kinda agree actually... I discovered pretty much the same effect when i was just doodling with a deck of cards in its box. i did it and just said "cool.." and yes, C=B, it may get MASSIVE reactions amongst laymen so there is reason to generate such hype, but perhaps this forum isn't the best way to do it because we're not laymen; we see it and go "ha! that's kinda cool" that's it.

Not saying it doesn't warrant hype, but perhaps just not amongst people who could figure it out just by watching the trailer once. The way it's being put out there is this is a groundbreaking new move. A groundbreaking move is one that will leave even magicians stumped. If you can stump a magician, you KNOW a layman hasn't got a chance in the world.

Do you see what I mean?

Yes, but I don't think that hyping it was his original intent. He was discussing the effect and seeing if there was anything like it. Have you noticed that the smallest mention of an effect makes a hype bonanza on forums? People are always looking for "the next big thing" and if they think that something is it, they'll hype the ever living out it.

C=B

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Yes, but I don't think that hyping it was his original intent. He was discussing the effect and seeing if there was anything like it. Have you noticed that the smallest mention of an effect makes a hype bonanza on forums? People are always looking for "the next big thing" and if they think that something is it, they'll hype the ever living out it.

C=B

I see. I have not noticed that but he seems to be jumping on board and riding the hype wave. I kind of see a bit of over acting and making it seem really underground and amazing - like with the whole "the video:the thread" thing; makes it seem mysterious and again, underground. slightly unrelated but i really don't think "Theory11" needed to be tagged onto the end of the video.. What's it got to do with it?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results