C.f.b.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
That's what I was thinking... it was advertised in totally the wrong way. The set-up of the original post as well as the mysterious, epic-sounding links in his signature all made quite a bit of build-up for this. I'm not saying this doe or doesn't get good reactions, I haven't performed it nor have I seen it performed live. It just doesn't look like enough to merit a 5 page full thread discussion to me. As part of a much larger work or even as a bonus effect, sure, this would have sounded a lot better.

Apr 22, 2008
Dude you really got a brain for magic ... i dont wanna sound like a jerk but hes saying the truth, this effect is really impromptu, even the spectator can put the cards in the box .... I dont know if we are talking about the same method but this trick is really powerful ..... Congratulations for this great effect man.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
That's what I was thinking... it was advertised in totally the wrong way. The set-up of the original post as well as the mysterious, epic-sounding links in his signature all made quite a bit of build-up for this. I'm not saying this doe or doesn't get good reactions, I haven't performed it nor have I seen it performed live. It just doesn't look like enough to merit a 5 page full thread discussion to me. As part of a much larger work or even as a bonus effect, sure, this would have sounded a lot better.

As C=B has stated, hyping up the effect of C.F.B. was not my original intent.

I created the thread to describe the effect, and obtain more information on the history of the effect. I do not believe that this effect is "revolutionary" or "groundbreaking", nor is it even a part of the "underground" scene.

I often use CFB as a closer to an ACR routine, or as a standalone effect. It gets rather good reactions either way- again, this is not meant to "hype" up the effect.

Also, as C=B stated, the sleight is not supposed to fool you. Or him. Or any other magician. We, as magicians, have a trained eye and brain. We know all possible ways to achieve something- either through a sleight, or a gimmick. We know the HOW to a trick immediately. Note that I'm not talking about the methodology, but how it is achieved. For example, when watching a TNR, you KNOW a gimmick is involved. To a magician, there is simply no possible way to put together a torn card without tape, etc. By investing time in our art, we have taken a burden upon ourselves to almost never enjoy it (from the spectators' viewpoint).

To a spectator, however, the world is full of the "unexplainable". They watch a card, torn in four pieces, become reattached. It's magic to them.

That's all CFB is. A trick to fool the spectators. Something to make your routine/repertoire a bit more interesting. And as for your comment about the "five pages of hype", I did not write those five pages. And actually, if you read all of those posts, you'll find that most of them are asking for a video trailer so they can see what I'm talking about, and then give me more information on the history of it.

So please, before you make comments like the ones you have, think about what you're saying. I never claimed that this move was "amazing". I never even advertised C.F.B. I simply made a post and requested more information on the move.

jimmah01 said:
I see. I have not noticed that but he seems to be jumping on board and riding the hype wave. I kind of see a bit of over acting and making it seem really underground and amazing - like with the whole "the video:the thread" thing; makes it seem mysterious and again, underground. slightly unrelated but i really don't think "Theory11" needed to be tagged onto the end of the video.. What's it got to do with it?

1) The whole "the video : the thread" thing is because I am a web designer, and like things of mine to be easily accessible to people.

2) Theory11 was tagged onto the video because it was posted at multiple sources, while I only actively participate in Theory11's forums. So, if someone wants more information, they come here.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
Dude you really got a brain for magic ... i dont wanna sound like a jerk but hes saying the truth, this effect is really impromptu, even the spectator can put the cards in the box .... I dont know if we are talking about the same method but this trick is really powerful ..... Congratulations for this great effect man.

Thank you for your words of kindness and appreciation :)

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
1) The whole "the video : the thread" thing is because I am a web designer, and like things of mine to be easily accessible to people.

2) Theory11 was tagged onto the video because it was posted at multiple sources, while I only actively participate in Theory11's forums. So, if someone wants more information, they come here.

1. but it doesn't matter that you're a web designer.. the fact of the matter is that you're still promoting it as if it's a huge deal. i know it sounds harsh and i'm honestly not at all trying to put you down, just know that. but don't let this deter you, keep on doing it man, it's completely your choice.

2. adding "www.theory11.com" doesn't really help someone trying to find more information. for all they know, you own www.theory11.com and it's your website, or this is one of Theory 11's products and taking them to the homepage doesn't give them more information about CFB. I think there might be a little more to it.

Oct 6, 2007
Your original intentions weren't to hype the effect, and yet your signature includes the effect video and (useless) 5 page-long thread.

You described an effect 'of your own' without a demo video, which garnered a (too) lengthy discussion, which was basically full of posts asking for a video. Was this not for hype? Did you 'forget' to make a video, which nowadays is bascially what magic is...

Included in your first post is this:

"...no problem with me selling the trick in the future."- So your intentions are to sell this trick.

"Highlights:
- No gimmicks, no duplicates.
- Completely impromptu; no set-up required.
- Can be performed while surrounded, this sleight involved is angle-proof.
- No suspicious movements, even the most determined heckler won't see anything."

You describe the conditions of the effects as if you are pursuading someone to buy this "gimmickless, improptu" effect "the most determined heckler wouldn't see". Sounds like something straight from the books of E.

Your original intentions weren't to hype the effect, and yet your signature includes the effect video and (useless) 5 page-long thread.

I'm going to say this in the most respectful manner I can as I honestly I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful. But if you will notice, SEVERAL of these "useless" pages and the therefor "useless" posts inside them and are posts just like yours that I agree are utterly "useless".

Ben posted the effect here to get feedback and see if it was original or not, people requested a video, he filmed one and from the video he was told of Clutch and how similar it is, that would have been the end of it for the most part but this thread keeps getting drug on and on by people wanting to bash the effect or him... how is this Ben's fault and how does this get anything constructive done?

Nonetheless, I don't want to see this get closed and an argument over something so trivial is useless. The thread is here to discuss the effect and I say we do so.

C=B

Oct 6, 2007
If you read the rest of my post, C=B, you'd understand the point I was trying to make.

But, I respect your suggestions. We should talk about the effect, and I'm sorry if I was rude to you, Benjamind.

I actually really liked the effect. Although this is not neccessarily to the point- I have no clue how it's done, although I'd like to see an uncut video.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
If you read the rest of my post, C=B, you'd understand the point I was trying to make.

But, I respect your suggestions. We should talk about the effect, and I'm sorry if I was rude to you, Benjamind.

I actually really liked the effect. Although this is not neccessarily to the point- I have no clue how it's done, although I'd like to see an uncut video.

...You have no clue how it's done, you like the effect, know rather little about the effect or methodology, yet felt the need to be impulsively rash and idiotic? Oh well.

Several extraneous pages of threads were created because of your and others' shortsightedness. The original reason for this thread was simply to gain more knowledge about the history of the effect and methodology.

If you'd like an uncut video, PM me your email. I'll make one for you and send it to you.

===

@jimmah01:

If you feel that I was attempting to hype up my effect, then so be it. No use trying to beat sense into someone who refuses to see it from a different perspective.

And, you asked me how putting THEORY11 at the end of the video helped? Type in C.F.B. in the top search box... what comes up? A video with a link to my user profile. Voila.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
===

@jimmah01:

If you feel that I was attempting to hype up my effect, then so be it. No use trying to beat sense into someone who refuses to see it from a different perspective.

And, you asked me how putting THEORY11 at the end of the video helped? Type in C.F.B. in the top search box... what comes up? A video with a link to my user profile. Voila.

I know.. I just think there might have been a better way to do it. Anyway, I'm not gonna continue arguing, it's counterproductive.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
Other people have thought of this before. Like I and a lot of people have said, this is nothing really new. :p

Huruey

Congratulations. You're stating what he has got to already know, unless he is a complete dolt like some who have posted in my thread. And I doubt he is; he has eyes and can read your posts.

Again, Huruey, I must ask- why are you reading my thread if you don't like it?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results