"Can I see that again...?"

Nov 12, 2008
Now this is an interesting question I've sure we've all been asked. You perform perhaps a flashy effect for some one, they get startled, and instantly as you to see it again. This is where the conflict comes in....

My question is what do you say? It seems that this has happened more and more with me since my comfortability and skill have increased (and I have performed to more and more people) and I have never really found an answer and have always fallen back on "No".

The situation has two sides. One is that it is a positive remark, they liked it, they were surprised, it made them happy. The other, if you were to perform it again, puts you on the spot. They know whats going to happen, and it puts the method in extreme danger. Although if you say no, its over. The effect has transformed from you being magical, to you being sneaky, and if they were not out to figure out the secrets at the begining of the routine, then they deffinatly are now....

I'd just like to know if others agree with my opinion, and whether or not someone would happen to have an answer... The way I see it there are three options...

1) Say No
2) Say yes, repeat the trick
3) Say no, but I'll show you another one

Jun 30, 2008
yeah,
i've been asked the same thinga couple of times. What i sometimes do, is say, "sure" and then show them a trick that starts in a similar way, but has a totally different method, and a totally different production/ending/whatever. Because the tricks are totally different and because they expect the same trick, they will not figure out the method and will be even more confused than before.

just my idea...

z

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
well if its a set up trick, ill distract them by ask a serious of why questions, something like "do you not think i can do it again?"
i say this while setting it up again.

or if its a real angle sensitive, ill either do what zz_zz said, and do the same basic trick with different slights.
or simply say "the first rule of magic is too only show a trick once.

maybe that helps.

good luck

Jul 10, 2008
If you can do the same effect again with a different method, then go for it. If not, move on with a "if you liked that you'll love this" attitude. Let's face it, if they want you to show them the same thing again it's probably to try and figure out how you did it. Don't give them the chance to catch you, unless you are sure you can pull it off with burning eyes... are you?

peace
John

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Eion, briefly: As you alluded to, there are several situations in which that could be said.

If they indeed just say it out of amazement, and you've done a good job befriending the spectators, there should be no problem with you moving on - sometimes you can ignore the comment, sometimes you can perform it with a different method, perform a similar effect, etc., or sometimes you can just keep on going with a different effect.

Just be sure that they're not saying "Can I see that again" because they thought they saw something suspicious, and that if they see it again maybe they can pinpoint exactly what happened - that's a cue to look back at what you did wrong in your performance. Just a thought..

May 8, 2008
England
I always go with the 'here's something cool...' and move on.
First off you should be in control of the audience and second you want the material to build over the routine, rather than having a constant 'do that one with the aces and the fire and the levitation again, that last one wasn't as good' situation.

2 cents.

-S

Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
What about answering "Ya know I only have enough 'chi' to do that one once... but let me show you something else..." or the Dungeons and Dragon's Magic User excuse where they forget it the moment the spell is cast.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results