Card Spring - The 'Wrong Way'

Sep 20, 2008
Ive seen The Virt's tutorial on the spring, and it varies from mine in a sense that i release from my fingertips instead of my thumb- ive noticed that majority of people release from their thumb too.

Downsides are that i cant seem to do a table-spring (i.e. Autocatch from Dan and Dave) and Control of the spring seems a bit limited.

I was wondering, would it be advisable to work on my spring right now, or re-learn it? im pretty used to it now though.

-Sin

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
Well I'm not too much of a flourish guy, but if it's something you'll do often, definitely re-learn it, practice it, do what ever it takes for you to get it down.

It's like if someone was using a get ready double and ask if it's wise to learn a double like a strike double, it's definitely worth it IMO.

I think it depends on what the status is on your spring now. If you can do a three-foot spring, even with the "wrong" technique, it doesn't really matter what technique you're using.

Lay people are impressed with a 12 inch card spring; card guys on the other hand want at least 2 1/2 to 3 feet.

K.C.

May 3, 2008
I think they're almost two different types of spring. I used to spring from my fingertips but I think it looks a lot better from the thumb.

Sep 20, 2008
Doesnt it 'Confuse' you so to speak? From before all i thought was "Right, im gonna do a spring".

Now im thinking "Damn, Spring from Fingers or thumb?"

And sometimes when i spring from my thumb, instincts take over and i release from fingertips. (I have the same grip.)

Sep 1, 2007
any way that works for you. If you can get a good spring releasing from your elbow or face, just rock it. The thumb technique however does have some advantages as described in the EoPCF, you may want to read it and decide if it's worth learning to you... nobody here can tell you what you should learn.

Sep 20, 2008
Hey man,

Cheers- But i dont have Eopcf. I actually learned the spring from Brian Tudor's 'Generation xtreme'. Which i find now was a totally bad idea. i think it messed up my foundations more than it actually helped. haha.

I learned the spring with the thumb and a few weeks ago my magic teacher taught me the spring with the fingertip. I also met other magicians and they also do it with the fingertip because they say that it shows better the back of the cards and it looks more beautiful to the spectators. So what I did is that I simply learned the two ways:D.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
I used to do it from the fingertips when I was first starting, but I realized it looked like ****... For some reason I think it looks terrible and it reminds me of magicians doing crappy thumb and pressure fans. Keep in mind that a spring from the thumb looks a lot straighter than the other when you have to put your free hand out like 6 inches. It's not a hard transition either way...

Having the cards launch off the thumb is better for learning springing. You can catch the cards with your belly when praciticing and messing up. Plus how your left hand catches the deck differs greatly with finger springing versus thumb. If you're finger springing, you're moving your left hand in front. Thumb springing you're bringing the left hand closer to you.

Expert Card Technique is a simple magic book which describes the spring with corner grip just fine. Just make sure you don't place your index finger on the top of the spring as pictured in that book and everything is described perfectly.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
just learn the thumb spring from scratch. that's what i did, and i can do either one perfectly fine.

by the way, the fingertip spring isn't "wrong", it's just different.

Sep 20, 2008
hence why i put the " in front. Majority of people deem it so.

Anyways, cheers- i think i'll do that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results