Cardistry?

Jan 23, 2011
Chicago Heights IL
Im not going to say this to offend people its just a thought that i keep having when i come to this website. Is anyone else sick of seeing nothing but caristry videos on this site? I mean this is supposed to be a magic website is it not? I mean much respect to everyone who does cardistry your all are doing an excellent job but arent we as magicians supposed to be out performing for people vs a crotch shot of yourself doing cardistry? What happened to all the videos i used to see with people out performing for laymen? I dont know if anyone else feels this way but i thought i would ask.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Well it's not JUST a magic website ... ? Cardistry i would say is attached to card magic, Cardician knows a few flourishes while Card Manipulators knows a few effects ... I would say, because of the fact that mostly magicians check out the videos of this site, it's not very entertaining for them to see other magicians performing something that they probably could figure out. I, like other magicians, find flourishing more entertaining simply because it requires so much more card skillz than card magic ...

I enjoy cardistry myself and practice it, but there are a LOT of cardistry videos on here compared to magic. I think the reason is that it's a lot easier showing people something that is pure visual skill than something that uses secret moves that you're hoping other people won't see. By posting magic you're afraid that others will figure out your methods or you'll mess up or a variety of other worries (especially with live performances). Cardistry erases most of these risks while still showing your skill. There's no secret to cardistry, flourishing or XCM it just looks cool. We're afraid that people will not approve of our magic performance or we feel like our secrets will be discovered because of our performance. It's just too risky for most of us. Even what others see as a perfect performance can still leave us with doubts. I think it's because we're to worried that we're not good enough yet. Let's all gain confidence and post our magic because it's the only way to become better. This is just my thoughts on the subject.

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
I enjoy cardistry myself and practice it, but there are a LOT of cardistry videos on here compared to magic. I think the reason is that it's a lot easier showing people something that is pure visual skill than something that uses secret moves that you're hoping other people won't see. By posting magic you're afraid that others will figure out your methods or you'll mess up or a variety of other worries (especially with live performances). Cardistry erases most of these risks while still showing your skill. There's no secret to cardistry, flourishing or XCM it just looks cool. We're afraid that people will not approve of our magic performance or we feel like our secrets will be discovered because of our performance. It's just too risky for most of us. Even what others see as a perfect performance can still leave us with doubts. I think it's because we're to worried that we're not good enough yet. Let's all gain confidence and post our magic because it's the only way to become better. This is just my thoughts on the subject.

On the contrary, it's much more difficult to show people a live performance of cardistry than of magic (hence the reason you don't see ANY live cardistry videos). I'm sure you didn't mean to say this but it seems you are implying that cardistry is overall easier in every aspect and requires less confidence - that is a pretty clouded judgement.

On the flip side, one could argue that most people strive to accomplish tasks that are more difficult to attain hence the result in "so many cardistry videos".

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Im not going to say this to offend people its just a thought that i keep having when i come to this website. Is anyone else sick of seeing nothing but caristry videos on this site? I mean this is supposed to be a magic website is it not? I mean much respect to everyone who does cardistry your all are doing an excellent job but arent we as magicians supposed to be out performing for people vs a crotch shot of yourself doing cardistry? What happened to all the videos i used to see with people out performing for laymen? I dont know if anyone else feels this way but i thought i would ask.

Mmm, well yeah, I tried to push perfoming and magic forward in this thread here:

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?18909-Go.Out.Perform.

If you feel like watching street magic videos and their correspondent critics give it a try.

Cardistry takes loads of confidence and years of practice to perform skillfully. Forgive me if I seem to be saying it's easy. It's definitely not. I just feel people are more critical with their magic. There is so many things the spectators can't know in magic, so people are afraid that these secrets will be discovered no matter how good the performance. It's a little scary showing the entire world your magic through video. No matter how good you are people might still catch on to the secret. Cardistry doesn't have any secrets, so people are less apprehensive showing there performance of it.

And you're right that there are almost no live cardistry videos. Doing cardistry under controlled conditions is entirely different than performing live. Just like magic if you mess up cardistry live you're not going to be that amazing anymore. So please don't assume I think cardistry is easier compared to magic. There 2 different things with different aspects and should be appreciated as such.

Jan 23, 2011
Chicago Heights IL
I completely understand that cardisty takes time and practice but i mean come on. One can only take so much of seeing the same moves to different music. I love anything with cards but im tired of everyday seeing a new video of the same move by a different person and different music. As far as the magicians dont want to see something they can figure out, i mean ya big deal we can figure it out but i mean come on you cant tell me that when you watch copperfield or Derren brown you like "oh ya force" "oh ya peek" no your like i love the way he set it up and presented it. I love the way they made the audience go nuts. Now Andei i completely agree you dont see any live performances of cardistry but thats why i think its so boring. I do some random cardistry when im walking around and people always get really amazed by it. I mean im not trying to bash it like i said before im just saying im tired of seeing cardistry crotch, chest, table shots and not any live magic performances.

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
Sorry "himself" I have no idea what you meant by what you just said. Cardistry is boring because you're not seeing live performances? Yet you guys are complaining that magic is lacking in live performance videos; does this not make it as equally stale seeing the same sleights executed to poorly presented patter? Seems to me you're trying to debate which art form is superior or more entertaining, in which case you can leave me out of something so subjective.

If you feel there is a lack of live performance videos, go out perform and contribute something otherwise you're opinion holds no more weight than someone demanding for more crotch shot cardistry videos. Lastly, for your consideration, other people may love and appreciate the skill/aesthetic in seeing the "same moves to different music" just as equally as you may love the way Derren Brown presents his effects.

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
I like cardistry (I started to learn flourishes some time ago, but I have no patience..) but I think that there are too many videos in this site. I mean, the ones in the Tricks section are cool, but there are too many in the MEDIA section, and there are no live performances, so some of them are very boring. I would recommend T11 to upload only the videos that are interesting and well edited, such as WHAT IS CARDISTRY? or Genesis teasers (cant wait for v2... any news andrei?).

I repeat, I love cardistry, I think that is very interesting, but come on, is too boring to watch a guy doing a sybil in fron of a low resolution webcam with no edition at all.

Those are my thoghts on this.

Jan 23, 2011
Chicago Heights IL
Andrei you completely misunderstood me. Its boring to me because im tired of watching the same flourishes done to different music. Now when i see your trailers for Gen. and all that im impressed and in awe because its original and nothing ive seen before. But i hate seeing the worm, or lethal, or Dan and Dave moves done over and over again. It gets old. Its like eating pizza everyday but with one less pepperoni on it. I re-read what i wrote and i confused myself. By live performances I dont mean get a group of people to watch you do cardistry i meant like as your walking through a mall waiting to perform or something of that nature. Get me? As far as the magic goes i hate and i mean hate videos of magic tricks that get posted with no patter and just music. In my opinion it doesnt represent what magic is. I didnt mean to offend you man, like i said i have much respect for the serious cardistry but i just want to see more magic vs cardistry because im tired of seeing the same moves.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Andrei you completely misunderstood me. Its boring to me because im tired of watching the same flourishes done to different music. Now when i see your trailers for Gen. and all that im impressed and in awe because its original and nothing ive seen before. But i hate seeing the worm, or lethal, or Dan and Dave moves done over and over again. It gets old. Its like eating pizza everyday but with one less pepperoni on it. I re-read what i wrote and i confused myself. By live performances I dont mean get a group of people to watch you do cardistry i meant like as your walking through a mall waiting to perform or something of that nature. Get me? As far as the magic goes i hate and i mean hate videos of magic tricks that get posted with no patter and just music. In my opinion it doesnt represent what magic is. I didnt mean to offend you man, like i said i have much respect for the serious cardistry but i just want to see more magic vs cardistry because im tired of seeing the same moves.

I hardly ever get bored watching some cardistry videos on here. Usually, they're pretty creative and entertaining. Take Zach Mueller's video for example, "Cardistry WMB" is creative and fun to watch. I'm pretty sure the same could be said about magic, that it's 'boring' and you're watching the same thing over and over again. I think you should really check out the media section and watch some of the 'Highest Rated' videos. Believe me, you'll have fun. :)

CAndrew

Elite Member
Jan 12, 2011
Just wanted to point out an observation of mine.The description for the media section says:Videos of magic from our users. The reason I pointed that out was more as a joke then a serious statement, and I myself enjoy making cardistry videos and think cardistry videos in the media section is a good thing. I do agree that a sybil in front of a junk webcam looks terrible but the T11 team does a good job screening against them and select good quality videos to be seen. Now if you think that watching the same thing w/ different music over and over again is boring, you shoud just suggest to flourishers to add more of their own original ideas into their videos to add more variation unless they have a really nice perfected move they want to show off.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results