Cards - Do they matter?

Mar 25, 2009
Anywhere, USA
Now I have been doing Street Magic for over 6 years now. I have noticed that when I use other cards, that people get suspicious. I know that Wayne had a simillar thread and I'm sorry if you guys feel You have talked about this already. Bike's are awsome and probablly the most used cards in the world. Tally's I have never used, Hoyle I used only once. Bike's are my cards of choice I guess, I have just got my Bike Gaurdian's and they are BEAUTIFUL!!!! I have others like Ghost, Blk Tiger, Masters, Shadow Mas., Bike's new Karnivals deck, etc...anyway i just hate that when i go to use them, specs think that there is more to them than just reg. cards. It sort of takes away from my perfomance, from the specs POV, they have an extra excuse to use. I feel that I do great magic no matter what cards are in my hands..........unless they're really cheap. I just hate explaining to specs that..........Yes, they're normal........look through them and see for yourself. When you use anything else besides reg. Red & Blue Bike's it instantly as if you have done something wrong. (To the spec) Look forward to some reply's on this matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 16, 2009
USA
I agree to some extent. Spectators have never said anything negative towards my Tally's, Arcco's, or Alladin's. Except a few people thought the circle on the Tally's looked cool when you pirouette the card face down. So as long as your cards are blue or red you should be fine. You might even be able to get away with the black Split Spade Lions--i have. I've used Cents without people saying something too. But black tiger and shadow masters always caused me suspicion.

Jul 14, 2008
I agreed strongly with you because people get suspicious of my decks, for example Bike Guardians. People steal my deck and to check it. So, that's why I use Bicycles for now on for magic. Great discussion post.

Jul 25, 2008
Upstate New York
I also agree. I use bicycle's, tally-ho's, massas, and arrcos most often. I think mainly what throws people off for cards like ellusionist decks is probably the black face of the card (like shadow masters, black tiger, and black ghost) and the fact that hearts and diamonds are black for the main pips in regular ghost deck, and only red in some areas. But the part I hate the most is that when I do perform with those cards, people will say "Oh, well its just a trick deck". So then I say something like "Ok, see for youself", and I hand out the deck and they inspect it and everything but still claim its "a trick".

Jun 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
I have never had a problem with people being suspicious of my cards, and I've used every T11 deck, every Ellusionist deck, and Split Spade Lions for performances.

Whether people will be suspicious of the deck is 100% presentation. There will be those people who will be suspicious regardless of the deck you use though, including regular bikes.

Mar 25, 2009
Anywhere, USA
I agreed strongly with you because people get suspicious of my decks, for example Bike Guardians. People steal my deck and to check it. So, that's why I use Bicycles for now on for magic. Great discussion post.

That is why I "give" them to the specs to check FIRST as soon as I pull them out. That way he don't have to ask, and it appears more free and open to look at these cards they have NEVER seen before. Love Split Spades too!!! So I guess I've used Tally's twice. lol.

Mar 25, 2009
Anywhere, USA
I have never had a problem with people being suspicious of my cards, and I've used every T11 deck, every Ellusionist deck, and Split Spade Lions for performances.

Whether people will be suspicious of the deck is 100% presentation. There will be those people who will be suspicious regardless of the deck you use though, including regular bikes.

True!!! Like I said, I give 110% on all my performances and no matter what cards I use. It just gives specs wiggle room to say that oh it's the cards, not that you tricked ME!!! I have done the same routine with reg. Bike's and with Bike's Ghost, Not one question with the reg. Red bikes. NOTHING but suspicion with Ghosts, right from the beginning. yes people will be suspicious anyway, now add to that a deck of cards that they have NEVER seen before.

Jun 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
True!!! Like I said, I give 110% on all my performances and no matter what cards I use. It just gives specs wiggle room to say that oh it's the cards, not that you tricked ME!!! I have done the same routine with reg. Bike's and with Bike's Ghost, Not one question with the reg. Red bikes. NOTHING but suspicion with Ghosts, right from the beginning. yes people will be suspicious anyway, now add to that a deck of cards that they have NEVER seen before.

I wasn't talking about how much effort you give at performance, I'm talking about they way in which you present yourself. I've been performing magic for a living for a while now and I only use custom decks. Not once have I had someone accuse me of using a trick deck.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
hmmmm, ive acctually never had this problem before. No one ever accused me of useing a trick deck cause i used like an E deck or like massas/aladdins. All people have ever said was they liked them and i do get this question a lot too "So whats so special about those cards like why not bicycles you know from like CVS" and usually i just say i like the color and thats the end of it.

Mar 25, 2009
Anywhere, USA
Maybe it's there area you are in, where people expect magic???? I know what you meant by the way. I try to present myself well and be human and react to my audience, not a robot with a routine. Not saying that what you are saying. In my experince and others, people are just thrown off by unusual decks. That's all I'm trying to say. (Relpy to druix)

I still love the good old "If I was gonna use a trick deck... why the hell would I make it this obvious? If I was gonna use a trick deck, why wouldn't I use one that looks like a regular deck of cards?". Given a moment to mull it over, the thought will catch on. I'm actually using a deck of Shadow Masters right now ;)....:eek:

Jan 28, 2009
I perform with Guardians all the time and have never had anyone call me out on them except to say they thought they looked cool.

Ironically enough all of my gaff decks for stuff like Panic, three card monte, the invisible deck etc are all red backed bikes.

Personally I'm more suspicious if a magician brings out a pack of bikes than a pack of ghosts, lol, but that's just me.

Aug 21, 2008
yeah, i used to love! my shadow masters deck but now i dont use anything except red and blue bikes.
ive gotten use to it tho.
i think its more important that your specs think its legite than to please yourself with cool looking cards.

-Danny

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
I still love the good old "If I was gonna use a trick deck... why the hell would I make it this obvious? If I was gonna use a trick deck, why wouldn't I use one that looks like a regular deck of cards?". Given a moment to mull it over, the thought will catch on. I'm actually using a deck of Shadow Masters right now ;)....:eek:

Yea you see I would never use that line because, when i DO use a trick deck...i use bikes i try and make it as normal looking as possible. and if i told them that, if i said that line then when it acctually is a trick deck...they'll be suspicious.

Nov 8, 2007
Whenever I perform for friends and family I always try and get feedback. One of the things I've asked, when using "designer cards," is if they found the cards suspicious at all. Every single time I've gotten a "yes." In contrast, whenever someone has thrown out, "What, are those some kind of trick cards?" I've always liked that I can just hand them the cards and toss them the box and just say, "No, just $2.99 Bicycle cards from Walgreens."

I think it makes a difference. Not a huge difference, but a difference. I think part of it depends on your performing persona as well. Almost all of my magic uses borrowed objects or are effects that take place in the spectator's hands, so I like to keep everything as familiar-looking as possible.

So for me Red back Bikes are the way to go.

Nov 2, 2008
Arkansas
Let me first of all say that yes that has happened to me. specs most of the time dont know anything except red and blue backs. i think it helps a little bit in the way of distracting from sleights.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
oh goody. another of these threads. They shouldn't be suspicious of any deck you use, providing you use it correctly. If you're still afraid, keep it consistent. That way, they will be used to you using shadow masters, tally-ho or regular bikes.

EDIT oh and here ya go.

Jan 11, 2009
Now I have been doing Street Magic for over 6 years now. I have noticed that when I use other cards, that people get suspicious. I know that Wayne had a simillar thread and I'm sorry if you guys feel You have talked about this already. Bike's are awsome and probablly the most used cards in the world. Tally's I have never used, Hoyle I used only once. Bike's are my cards of choice I guess, I have just got my Bike Gaurdian's and they are BEAUTIFUL!!!! I have others like Ghost, Blk Tiger, Masters, Shadow Mas., Bike's new Karnivals deck, etc...anyway i just hate that when i go to use them, specs think that there is more to them than just reg. cards. It sort of takes away from my perfomance, from the specs POV, they have an extra excuse to use. I feel that I do great magic no matter what cards are in my hands..........unless they're really cheap. I just hate explaining to specs that..........Yes, they're normal........look through them and see for yourself. When you use anything else besides reg. Red & Blue Bike's it instantly as if you have done something wrong. (To the spec) Look forward to some reply's on this matter.

simple solution; let them examine the pack &/or show the cards are normal and aren't setup. be as far as you can and you should gain their trust.

LK++

Sep 1, 2007
You either wear the deck or the deck wears you. If you can't perform with a deck like that without being accused of using a gimmicked deck, then just don't use them. You don't have that kind of personality.

I don't get called out for using Ghosts, and I explained why several times over about a year or so ago. Hell, I once got away with using a deck of Vipers by saying, "I just like using a black deck because it makes my balls feel huge." But I have the kind of personality that makes that joke work.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results