CDC a different way.

Sep 3, 2007
Interesting take on that. Not a big deal but you flashed pretty bad on the selection and wasn't sure what (my) selection was at first. The "say stop here" was executed as if it was contrived. Nice job on the small convincers such as the red box.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Hmm, thank you for your input. I watched it again, and still don't see any flashes. Again, this is just an idea I wanted to throw out there and see if it could be worked on.

Do you think it's not a sufficient way?

Sep 3, 2007
Hmm, thank you for your input. I watched it again, and still don't see any flashes. Again, this is just an idea I wanted to throw out there and see if it could be worked on.

Do you think it's not a sufficient way?

Honestly, I think it would work. From my point I see a card pulled out fast and that raised a red flag. So I zeroed in, as any card mechanic would. I noticed a discrepancy and still liked the effect/handling. There are a couple of aspects that could be looked at. However, after seeing the whole color changing deck argument I am not sure what you're getting at. It is good, that is all that matters to me. I think it was better than that other CCD if that matters... At least you threw in a shuffle right?

The CDC's that I have been seeing recently all look the same. The decent ones that I have seen are pretty difficult to perform. So unfortunately your effect isn't increadably original. The effect is a good effect to perform, but not for "sell" if that is what your after (I don't know if it is) Good performance though

Sep 3, 2007
I don't think he is out to sell a new trick. He is just looking for advice. We all have to get that straight. Just cause we come out with a new handling doesn't make it great.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Living,

I am not trying to pick you apart but just analyzing it as a fellow magician. The red forced card looked very much slipped off the top with a slip force but was done way too quickly which looked suspicious as others have mentioned.

There needs to be other subtle hints that there is more than just that one red card other than the box. Even if you threw in just a few red / blue double backers as convincers. You could use them at the top as you spread over a few to show the backs, before the force. I don't know...just brain storming.

I do like that you are trying to keep it a very clean cut simple CCD which is my style as well.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Thanks guys, as before mentioned I am not trying to sell anything lol, I was just thinking of the easiest way to change a decks color.

The slip force is one of my favorites, and I found if I don't do it quickly it will flash the blue back.

I've been watching all of the other CCD's and was just trying to find the easiest method (for me) to accomplish.

Since we all know the slip force and the mechanics of the method, I was wondering... What do you think the laymen will notice?

The reason I like this way, is that you can go straight into another trick without having to get rid of any double backers or extra different colored cards.

May 31, 2008
I agree with everything that's been said, that slip force looked a little funky. Wouldn't be easier to just turn the face of the deck towards the audience so that you don't flash the backs, and it doesn't look odd because of a quick motion?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Most of the time for a good CCD with subtle convincers there are cards that have to be palmed off, left back in the card box (Troy Hoosier) does this, or added on just prior to the effect.

I agree that I love the slip force as well and I have never been caught by a layman with it but most of the time other magicians notice it right away.

Is there a way to Hindu force your card off once you have shown the top card red and then flipped the deck face up?

Sep 20, 2009
While it is a very simple and straight forward colour changing deck, try adding some more convincers to it.

some flustration counts, some swing cut flustration counts. hell you could even do a face up hindu shuffle and keep showing the red back.

Hey guys, I was experimenting with the color changing deck, and decided to see what you guys thought about it.

Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqUtXQ36-ks

Any feedback would be great. I wanted to try the most simple and clean way to do it, and I think this is a start.
hey man i got a bit to help you out with....

the slip you did was good but its a lot like oz pearlman's blindsided, which i do everyday...i think if you look at that, it'll help you build you CCD routine....i like your premise but the slip was too much of a slip and not enough of looking like a "cutting the deck in half"...

before i continue, i'm not trying to talk down on your effect, only to help you improve it...

i personally think you should somehow add more cards to the routine to where you cut the deck and use the slip, it will allow you to show the backs appearing to be the same...

to make your effect really neat, learn some card steals...learn how to steal the cards as well as ending in a spread, which is the best part of the effect...

i love the shuffle...learn some false shuffles that will shuffle the odd color cards to either the top or bottom, which will allow you to steal them and palm them, box them or whatever you will use to conceal the cards...and then you will be working with a more powerful effect....

i hope this helps you and please do not take this the wrong way..its purely to help the effect...not harm against you...

Sep 1, 2007
Don't listen to all the folks telling you you need more "convincers" for the colour of the deck; its a red herring. Taking a red deck out of a red box is all that is necessary for a lay audience to believe the deck is as it looks. There are many examples of brilliant CCD routines where only one "odd" card is employed - not least of which is Paul Harris' "Color Stunner". David Williamson backs up the point in his explanation by cautioning against "convincers" such as the hindu shuffle show.

Another routine which runs along the lines of the trick you've put together is on the David Stone "real secrets of magic" DVD - voile rouge I think its called. His construction is very nice, the change is beautifully handled and there's a great second phase to go along with it - well, well worth a look.

Cheers,
David.

Don't listen to all the folks telling you you need more "convincers" for the colour of the deck; its a red herring. Taking a red deck out of a red box is all that is necessary for a lay audience to believe the deck is as it looks. There are many examples of brilliant CCD routines where only one "odd" card is employed - not least of which is Paul Harris' "Color Stunner". David Williamson backs up the point in his explanation by cautioning against "convincers" such as the hindu shuffle show.

Another routine which runs along the lines of the trick you've put together is on the David Stone "real secrets of magic" DVD - voile rouge I think its called. His construction is very nice, the change is beautifully handled and there's a great second phase to go along with it - well, well worth a look.

Cheers,
David.
all i was saying if he wanted his effect to stand apart from whats been done then i gave him something to look into..thats why i have giving my opinions on orginal magic...people always get the wrong idea....

Sep 1, 2007
Hi Cedric - not to worry, my post was not aimed specifically at you; you're not the only one chiming in with common misconceptions about the colour changing deck! This really does seem to be one of those tricks where magicians can't help thinking like magicians.

In our efforts to be "original" it is often tempting to think in terms of methodology, and it is indeed sometimes possible to improve methods but if you're going to take the creative process seriously then you need to investigate the notable handlings already in existance. There are numerous CCD routines out there which use additional cards, gaffs, clever displays and steals to "prove" that the deck is a different color - check out Card College vol 5, John Guastaferro's Brainstorm vol 2, Dingle's Deceptions, Marlo...etc.etc.

This is therefore clearly not the direction to go in if you wish your routine to "stand apart from what's been done".

Why can't we direct the creative process more towards premise...presentation...the motivation behind the actions? CCD, as with many plots in card magic, rarely has any kind of presentation or meaning attached to it. Applying some effort in that direction will end up shaping the trick itself and then you might just end up with something which is not only original, but interesting to other magicians (not to mention your audiences!) as well. If you don't care about magic which is interesting to other magicians, then learn one of the truely excellent CCD routines already out there - because magicians are the only ones who care about originality.

David Williamson's "Funner Colour Stunner" ticks all the boxes as far as I'm concerned; only one additional card is used, the "convincers" are wrapped up in a great triumph sequence and the presentational angle on the colour change is both meaningful and powerful.

Cheers,
David.

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
...because magicians are the only ones who care about originality.

This is a pretty heavy point in and of itself. I'm going to have to think (or rethink) on this for a while before I'd say anything on the matter but I thought I'd draw some attention to it.

As far as the topic at hand.

The speed that you did the force was the only red flag. It's incongruent with the general pace of the rest of the presentation. Slowing that down will draw so much less suspicion. I think everyone has already really touched on that though.

I think a nice touch you could do is simply putting an additional red card on the top. That way you can do the slip, outjog their card as you lift the deck to show to them their card and simply place the packet with the other red card on top as you turn the deck down and push their card flush into the deck.

I think that this simple addition will make it that much more convincing and you can even do your same shuffle, retaining the top card, and show them the deck again which STILL would appear to be red. To get rid of that card you can do something like as you are shuffling, control that top card to the bottom of the deck and then gamblers cop it away, adding it to your pocket as you are spreading the deck in front of them which will be ALL the misdirection you'd ever need to get away with it. If you know the cardini change you could try doing that change for an 'instant/visual' deck color change and then go into the gambler's cop>pocket the card while you spread the deck....thing(?)

Actually...that sounds kinda hot. I don't have a CCD effect I think I'm going to do that. Thanks thread :)

Edit: Just came up with a really amazing CCD idea but I think I'm going to keep it to myself right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results