Classic Pass Flash

Jun 22, 2010
Hello, I recently started working on the classic pass. But I keep getting the problem, every time I do it. I wasn't able to fix it, no matter how many times I tried. I keep getting a huge flash on the bottom of the deck every time I do it. I read other threads on the pass, but mine wasn't fixed.
So I shot a video of me doing the pass so you guys can see my problem.
http://www.vimeo.com/17996575
Password: classic

Any help on my problem?
Any other tips on the pass will also be appreciated.
Thank you!

Aug 31, 2007
You seem too stiff, loosen up a bit. Also I don't think I've seen a pass that looks good straight on. Top down with people around you and i'm sure no one will notice it. I'd work on the tension and stiffness most of all. try to mess the cards up on the top stack a bit and when you square the deck up do the pass.

So square the deck up towards you chest and as you move down to your waist do the pass, works every time for me.

Hope it helps. Check out Jason England's video on the pass as well, it might help.

Feb 4, 2008
I'm no pass expert...In fact I have the same problem you do! Anyways, looking at it from a third person perspective, first consider your viewing angle. Tilt the hands down a bit. You are also filming for someone seated while you are standing. If you perform like that(ie. restaurant work) then learn the to cover those angles but if you positioned the camera at head height and tilted it down you would probably get a more accurate idea of what it looks like to a spec. It might look better than you think. Next, tighten up your fingers on the cover hand. Move your covering hand further to the edge. This will increase the overall cover. Richard Turner actually mentions that his one handed shift will help you with your classic pass because it teaches you to rely on less hand dipping.

Anyways, these are the things I am currently working on to fix the same problem so take it for what it is worth.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
The pass is something that is allowed to flash. You should execute the move as you misdirect them. Listen to Aaron Fisher's podcast on it, that man knows what he's on about.

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow, Russia
As been said above your pass is done in too tense way, plus you put very much cover in it. Try to use only middle and ring finger to hold the lower packet, pinky is loosen up and the index finger is curled on top of the deck. That way it makes the move more open. Also, the angle of the camera is not a spectator perspective. Each time you use this angle, you see a flash - that's the mechanics of the move and you can't do anything with it. Use 45° angle, which is a spectator perspective. And the last tip: use cover motions such are dribbling, jiggling or bending the deck - otherwise the move is completely unnatural and unpractical because it looks like a move, but it should become established as one of the way you handle the deck (that means the move should look like the deck stays in order, the move really does nothing in the mind of your spectators).

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 9, 2009
Manchester UK
Your video looks like your bringing the packet down a little early which means it has to lever around the lower packet and this is causing a fairly loud noise as you do the pass. If you extend your fingers more on the lower hand, the upper packet doesn't have to move around the lower packet as much and this should make it feel a lot smoother.
As Sypris said, Jason England's 1-on-1 on the classic pass is excellent....as are his other tutorials.
Finally, lots and lots of practice, this isn't a move that you're going to nail quickly so don't panic that you're flashing, as you said yourself, you've only recently started working on it so, as has been said previously, there is a lot of tension there but that is going to reduce over time.

Jun 22, 2010
Thanks everyone! I've been reading all of the replies, and practicing a lot (my fingers are even hurting, lol). So I think that I am now able to cover that flash now. The bigest thing is tilting the deck down so that it is covered.
Here is my new pass:
http://vimeo.com/18066477
Password: classic
Sorry for the bad quality.
The biggest thing now is my right hand, the flash is covered, but not the finger movement. There is so much finger movement in my right hand when bringing the top packet down. Any tips on how to solve that?
Any more tips on my pass in general?
The pass is a move that will be working on for so much time, so I want to make sure that I am not getting myself into bad habbits right from the beginning.
Thanks for all your help.
It's helping.

Feb 4, 2008
Much better. Keep the hands in motion during it. On a few you paused 1/2 a beat before pulling out the top packet, thus I could see 1/2 the pack "disappear." Ultimately it is an unperfectable move so in addition to trying to make it look cleaner...and quieter...you need to work on timing your misdirection with the move. I got away with a pass that was so awful that it basically looked like exactly what it was, a card cut, for a few years before I really started working the move. Never got caught...passing that is.lol.

Jun 22, 2010
Thank you. I appreciate it.
Please keep it coming.
I still need help with stopping the finger motion.
Thanks!

nremtb

Elite Member
Oct 27, 2010
I agree with the angle deal. The only pass I have seen the is burnable semi straight on is Jason Englands. I think all the best tips have been posted already but here is a small recap. Dont cover to much, I do the pass with my pointer and thumb finger holding the bottom packet and the middle finger to lever it upward. Also try putting alittle pressure against the top packet while it is going around. That is so when you lever the bottom pack the pressure will release once it clears and snap into place. And definatley relax. Most passes are done in the off beat where flashing a bit is okay. A bigger action covers a smaller action. As I said get Jason Englands tutorial from theopry11 on the pass it is a huge hlep. Also Johnathan Kamm has an excellent pro turial on the pass. One other option to explore is the way luke jermay does the pass. The handling for the bottom deck is very different. And keep working on it you will get it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results