Close-up... and card trouble.

Aug 27, 2008
Tijuana bC
I been doing close up for sometime now and I am really happy with my card routine... but I have gotten to the point were in my opinion taking out some cards screams MAGICIAN! and its getting kind of boring to only handle cards.. I know this has happened to many of you, so the question is this do you have close up tricks that are not card tricks that really amaze and take almost no space in you pokets o jacket? you are probably thinking sponge balls.. but I wouldn't like to whip out some sponge balls in a party or get together, don't get me wrong they are awsome but I think they are better left for restaurant jobs and kids rather than parties with people your own age. and those of you who are thinking about greg wilson's on the spot I am looking for some mmmm how can I put it.... gimmick based effects although if you guys have an effect that doesn't include a gimmick and know it kills please mention it :D thanx for the support
cheers
HECTOR

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I been doing close up for sometime now and I am really happy with my card routine... but I have gotten to the point were in my opinion taking out some cards screams MAGICIAN! and its getting kind of boring to only handle cards.. I know this has happened to many of you, so the question is this do you have close up tricks that are not card tricks that really amaze and take almost no space in you pokets o jacket? you are probably thinking sponge balls.. but I wouldn't like to whip out some sponge balls in a party or get together, don't get me wrong they are awsome but I think they are better left for restaurant jobs and kids rather than parties with people your own age. and those of you who are thinking about greg wilson's on the spot I am looking for some mmmm how can I put it.... gimmick based effects although if you guys have an effect that doesn't include a gimmick and know it kills please mention it :D thanx for the support
cheers
HECTOR

So you're saying that even things like gambling demonstrations, Mentalisim with cards and other such card effects like that are good for kids parties.

Cards don't scream magician.. But anyways, I'd suggest you learn some things from Bob Cassidy's Fundimentals and use that stuff as often as possible. I believe there are few things that you can also get that won't "scream" magician. Aquarius is a cap in bottle effect that will pretty much make you look like a wizard.

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
Cards don't scream magician.. But anyways, I'd suggest you learn some things from Bob Cassidy's Fundimentals and use that stuff as often as possible. I believe there are few things that you can also get that won't "scream" magician.

Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals will not help this guy unless he's looking to develop into a serious student of mentalism. Sure, it's got a handful of tricks, but at its core it's a piece on showmanship and theory in the field of mentalism - far from what he's asking for.

Let's see... I'm thinking a small collection of close-up effects, here, more for your money. Sean Fields' 1337 Notes is really good stuff, including effects such as a $20 bill through glass table, a borrowed necklace gets swallowed and pulled from your stomach amid a gush of blood, a borrowed water bottle is used to make water turn to mouthwash in the spectator's mouth, and a handful of other great material.

There's a few non-card gems in the Art of Astonishment series. Things like making an empty candy bar wrapper suddenly fill with chocolate, a borrowed bill bears its owner's signature in place of Treasurer's, and lots of really cool stuff.

Then Mark Wilson's Course in Magic has, if you ignore pretty much the entire first half of the book, some non-card material.

There's others, but this is what I know.

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Well I can agree an disagree that cards scream magician..but if your looking for non card effects..id suggest Psychokinetic silverware, Luke jermays Skulldiggery, coins thru table using (u know wat i mean) gimmick, or even Thread by Wayne houchin...I hope this helps...feel free to pm me if anything is need!

Sep 23, 2008
Selma, NC
I would suggest...

1) Fraud
2) Raven Gimmick
3) Bat Gimmick
4) Folding Coin
5) Flash paper or Bills
6) Some mentalism effect.

I hope this helps

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Rubber band magic...kills people. Wear'em on your wrist.

STARGAZER effect with rubber band.
CMH

Buy a nicer looking hot rod and do a hot rod routine.

Quadraflex bill that turns into mismade dollar. Great reactions.

Free Will is an excellent little mentalism piece that uses 3 wooden discs with symbols and a prediction. I love this one.

http://revision3.com/scamschool/coinprediction/
check that out.
great material.
and its FREE
so whats better than that

also yea do some psychonetic silverware or liquid metal.
that KILLS
superman Coin bender is a KILLER too
if not that, do the name version of Stigmata. my friend showed one of my residents that. and shes still talking about it. BTW he showed her on Halloween too, so that kills.
into the abyss kills also
there are soo many effects that are like that. with no cards.
do some coin things.

What i use.

I say do pressure, digital dissolve, crazy mans handcuffs, slink, mindbender, Kings rising levitation, revolution, Thread, and finally if you are anywhere you can get a bottle of water filled up i would say flow. See these i use plus some stuff i have created and i always get reactions that just made me feel as if i did my job correctly. Now pretty much all this is gimmicked except Revolution (u can borrow their coin) and of course Kings rising levitation. Its fairly easy to carry all neccesary items around that are gimmicks because 4 baloons, 2 coins, 2 rubberbands, a quater if you wish, some thread, and the flow gimmick dont take up alot of room most can fit in one pocket. Well i hope this helped.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Get Jay Sankey's Anytime Anwhere dvd. it has lots of trick that can be done on the spot with only borrowed objects. If you wanna look into gimmicks you can try Invisible thread or Extreme Burn.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results