Club for Magicians at School - Need Help

Sep 16, 2007
texas
Hey guys, I need some advice for a club at school I am starting.
This school year for me is my senior year...meaning college applications and resumes, etc.

When writing my resume, I realized that I had NO activities that would look good to colleges - no sports, no NHS, no clubs, no community service, no job - NOTHING.

So, I decided to make my own club so I could be president and have some kind of leadership experience. And what better club to start than a magic club?

My problem is that I seem to be the only one at school that DOES any kind of magic. I already have a number of people that will join - however I just do not know what to do during the club meetings.

I initially thought about teaching card magic, but the more I thought about it the more it seems like no one will take it seriously since I am the only one that knows how to do anything magic related.

So basically, I'm asking for ideas for activities or anything that would help me make the club at least fun or successful. I want people to accept and APPRECIATE magic. When my friend and I were asking other to join, we got looks of disdain and laughter, and I want to change that.

We eventually got the minimum amount of people to join, but I am still unsure what to do besides teach some simple effects.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, and thank you guys in advance.

Jun 22, 2008
earth
one thing that studying magic has done for me is make me think more skeptically about everything. you could make it a skeptics club.

this is from the skeptic.com

The Skeptics Society is a scientific and educational organization of scholars, scientists, historians, magicians, professors and teachers, and anyone curious about controversial ideas, extraordinary claims, revolutionary ideas, and the promotion of science.

I thought about starting a magic club at my school, but then I thought, "no, it'll just be people wanting to know how I do my tricks." So I wouldn't use it for teaching magic.
If you want to use it to get people liking magic, show them some d+M videos, lol.
You might get the people to show a trick that they know, since just about everyone knows a trick of some sort.
And to get attention, I wouldn't call it magic club ---- you could pull daniel madison and call it "MAGICisDEAD," haha., or something cool that inspires mystery and gets people's attention. "Theory11" for example.
You might be able to talk about magic and watch mindfreak, david blaine, and maybe even some penn & teller.

I don't know if any of this helps, but there you go,
Z

Sep 16, 2007
Georgia
It sounds like a good idea, and I have actually thought about it myself. The only problem is that most people aren't willing to spend the time to learn the magic and practice. You can't make them dedicated and passionate about learning and practicing magic, they have to want it, same with flourishing.

Maybe as Winterline said, make it a skeptics club.

Jul 14, 2008
I don't think it's a good idea, because the only reason for the students to join in your club is to know how you did it which is exposing magic and to the magic community. Please don't do it, but however, you could make up the cardistry/flourishing club.

Sep 16, 2007
texas
I figured that people would join to find out how effects are done also - but in reality, I don't think that these students would be willing to spend time after school to learn a few simple tricks just to expose them. They could probably find more on youtube anyway.

And I already created the club, it's just in the process of being approved by the officials at my school, so I can't exactly turn back. Flourishing is another thing that I thought would be a good idea to include.

If there were other magicians than me in this club would be great - however I seem to be the only magician at my school, but I desperately need the club for college apps.

Showing them videos and flourishing and maybe simple effects are all things I plan to do, however I will be the only one really doing anything in the group. I don't want this to be a magic CLASS, but at this rate that's what it looks like is going to happen.

Are there things that everyone can do as a whole besides watch me teach?

Sep 1, 2007
The first thing in a club is to set a goal. What would your goal be for this club. If you don't have a goal, then its not really worth doing what your doing. So set a goal for the club. Be it making a magic video at the end, or improving showmanship skills or anything else, set a point your going to work towards and im sure it will become much easier. Once you have an end, you can figure out how to get there. Hope that helps you. Good luck!

Sep 16, 2007
texas
Well I have already figured out a goal of sorts: to spread the appreciation and art of magic and cardistry. I just don't know how to go about that other than simply teaching some simple cuts or effects and showing videos, but like I said I don't want this to be a CLASS...I don't want to just teach for a day every week.

Sep 1, 2007
You are gonna have to teach some stuff. But think of different ways to make everyone use their knowledge. Like perform for 2 people before you meet next or something like that and then discuss it.
This kind of club will take people who are genuinely interested and want to put some time into it. If you have those kinds of people then try setting some short term achievements for the members and then discuss them etc. Just a suggestion.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
How about you pass a deck of cards or something around and everyone shows everyone else a trick (everyone knows one). Then give everyone 10 minutes to come up with a way of varying it somehow, even just a little bit and get everyone to show everyone else the new trick.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
The main issue is people going there not just "for the lulz" to learn a cool secret but who actually want to get into magic... Lend them a copy of Royal Road, if they're still working on it after month, they're probably in the latter group. Honestly, I can't see this working if you're the only magician and the others aren't *that* into magic though. You teaching them stuff really won't end well.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Teach them a little history about magic and playing cards. If they realize how magic was developed as well as the accomplishments of the years they're less likely to look at it from a childs point of view.

Show them videos of magicians that have changed the way magic is done in the world. Show them Flourish videos and tell them to bring cards in if they want some hands on experience trying it. That's all I can think of at the moment.....

Personal opinion. Don't teach them magic....

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
The main thing to remember when organizing sometthing like this, is to have a strict set of principles against wish you can base any teachings, studies or activities going on.

A good name helps too! Guy Hollingworth was in a school magic club named 'The Prestige Society'. Very cool, eh?

As for teaching magic, you could make it a point to teach only material that is public access- i.e, material from books you can find in a public library. Or perhaps even do a crash course in fundamental sleight of hand. Teach some simple card technique, and some simple flourishing. That would work.

A skeptics society would be VERY cool!

CL

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results