Coffee shop magic?

Hey Theory 11 web users. I am looking for inspiration for coffee shop magic. I am not looking for specific effects whether its free, or I would need to purchase it. I take pride in my creativity, knowing the method to a trick limits the possibilities of creating the impossible. I dislike that. Anyway, I am attempting to get a job in a coffee shop. It would be good for getting the job and also at the register with customers. Any thoughts on what shouldn't be possible? No matter the difficulty get the coffee shop magic thoughts out there on cyberspace. Thank you to whoever participants, and even to those who put effort into answering the question.

@Luis Vega- Nice man. I'll approach that as a possible effect. I will say, I will use some form of paddle move. I didn't think of the stir sticks. I don't go to coffee houses much. I know sleeves, cups transparent and not, tops, and sugar packets not much more. They even supply the sharpies there in the back! As I said before, I thank you. Also, good thinking.

@Michael- I heard something about that. I didn't know it was every issue! A 12 month gold mine!... in a way. I may pick some up. Thanks guys for the information. I also talked to someone after posting this. He suggested and changed my thinking, which is now. In the beginning focus on what in known to work there is room for experimentation and modification later. So any and all info is now being excepted. Besides exposure videos off youtube and stuff like that. In a hurry... could potentially be missing some proof reading and edits.

Jun 1, 2009
I would highly recommend the Greg Wilson material. I saw him lecture and he performed his coffee house stuff and it was awesome. He has two books on it (Coffee House Conjuring) but he might only be selling them where he lectures.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I would highly recommend the Greg Wilson material. I saw him lecture and he performed his coffee house stuff and it was awesome. He has two books on it (Coffee House Conjuring) but he might only be selling them where he lectures.

That was some really good material. I'm kicking myself for not picking up the lecture notes on that.

I will attempt to contact Greg about this coffee house conjuring. It seems like it is a real winner! I always liked his stuff. I wasn't expecting this much participation with this particular question. But you guys are awesome! Cyber high fives and appreciation being passed around to all that want them... FOR FREE!* Anyone else can and should chime in.. but don't expect a thank you or interaction until the morning... at least not from me. (This post was edited for reasons of leaving essential information off this particular post and a little comedy to brighten your day/evening while I was already editing it.) *standard price of internet service(s) may apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Are you attempting being hired to do magic at a coffee shop? Or hired at a coffee shop and hope to do magic?

Either way everyone has given great advice - I think it's Joel Givens who pulls a coffee stirrer from a sugar packet and then shrinks it to a smaller size (that would fit into the packet).

@Rik- I totally forgot about the coffee house stuff from Joel Givens. And the goal is to entertain while working the cash register or making the coffees or where ever they need me.. when it is slow enough to do so. I went in there today. (nice place too, La Taza in Charlottesville, Va if any of you are from around here.)

Last edited by a moderator:

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
A friend of mine works for Starbucks an does magic for the customers. He makes straws vanish at the window, does a trick where a key jumps on and off a cord around his neck, probably others that I'm forgetting. I know he's done one where the sleeve flips inside out around the cup, then appears inside the cup. There's one where you take two sugar packets, let the spectator pick one. You both pour them into your own hands, but your sugar disappears and theirs doesn't. He does the broken and restored stir stick, too.

@ChristopherT- (unrelated) I have always been fascinated by window magic. Not using the window in your trick.. but it allows you to have a well defined barrier while still giving the illusion of clearly seeing everything. I have had this image of doing two tricks at once using the same actions. One side of the window get one trick, say a transpo, the other side of the mirror gets another WAY different effect, say a multiplication with all the same motions. Not for any real reason.. just for daydreams and progression sake. But as always, I thank your for participating. I do like the key on and off the lanyard.. any idea to where he got this effect? I could use the store's lanyard and "the store key" saying "I lose the store key so often! {as it disappears} (cont.)"

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It's based on an old Jay Sankey trick. I'm totally blanking on its name as I'm not a Jay Sankey fan.

Sep 7, 2012
Coffee shops are very best and i like to take coffee from different shop's because i like to taste different shop's coffee's and they are make their shop's very best the owners of these coffee shop's are decorate to their shops very best way and make a awesome display and hang different banners in front of their coffee shop's when i was need a shop display then i get idea from the coffee shop's and make my own shop display after watch some coffee shop's display....

Sep 4, 2012
Joel Givens' stuff is really cool and fun to do. Jay Sankey has some coffee shop stuff across his collections (The one coming to mind is a quick cup and ball routine with an empty creamer, then the ball vanishes and the cup is a resealed, full creamer cup) that could be worth you checking out. The key effect is Sankey's and is called Leaving Home. It's a great effect.

There is so much room for creativity in all the interesting bits and pieces that knock about coffee shops, it's one of the best situations for close up stuff. Have fun with it.

May 18, 2008
The person that I'd look into for inspiration with this (other than Jay Sankey, Joel Givens and Greg Wilson) would be Alvo Stockman. He's pioneered a truly different style of what's possible with coffee shop magic. Splendid and Just The Way I Like It are two that I do all of the time.

Elixer of Life is another Alvo Stockman thing that I don't personally do, but if you're looking to create magic, it's got tons of ideas inside of it that definitely will spur some creative thought.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results