Coin Books

May 14, 2009
I have recently taken up coin magic along with my card magic. I have purchased Modern Coin Magic by Bobo. Does anyone have any suggestions for other beginner books and/or dvds that deal with coins? :p

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I have recently taken up coin magic along with my card magic. I have purchased Modern Coin Magic by Bobo. Does anyone have any suggestions for other beginner books and/or dvds that deal with coins? :p

You have pretty much everything you need in Bobo's.
Maybe after you master some of the material in it you can start to expand your coin magic.

:)

-Rik

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Totally out of Control has some great coin magic. As does some of the classics like The classic magic of larry jennings, as for dvd's look into CoinOne and CoinTwo or Roth's Coin dvd's also David Stone's stuff is AMAZING and ive just recently fell in love with Cultural Exchange.

on another note, Harada Hold is B!^*$IN hard

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 24, 2007
At the risk of getting flamed here... if he only has Bobo's, he'll begin his coin magic career practicing many difficult and outdated moves, thinking those are the "standard." An introduction by buying David Roth's book (which is not too difficult) will open him up to a whole new world of material and better techniques. In short, it will save his time and effort, while not overly decreasing from his material. Anyways, most if not all the material in that book is on par, if not superior with the material in Bobo's. Why not?

At the risk of getting flamed here... if he only has Bobo's, he'll begin his coin magic career practicing many difficult and outdated moves, thinking those are the "standard." An introduction by buying David Roth's book (which is not too difficult) will open him up to a whole new world of material and better techniques. In short, it will save his time and effort, while not overly decreasing from his material. Anyways, most if not all the material in that book is on par, if not superior with the material in Bobo's. Why not?

i completely understand, but he already has bobo's. But he should listen to this advice, because it is good. My only thoughts on studying bobo, was for the grips, eh?

Orb

Jul 19, 2009
Sweden
i completely understand, but he already has bobo's. But he should listen to this advice, because it is good. My only thoughts on studying bobo, was for the grips, eh?
If you look at it in a different way, he'll develop a more personal style by studying bobos. Not specifically the moves and routines that David Roths book offer.
I think that what's outdated is a very abstract meaning. We all absorb what's usefull to ourselves and neglect the bad. By bobos he'll have much more moves to define his style.
Ramsay himself never used classic palm (not becase he disliked it, but he couldn't do it due to bulky hands) and managed pretty well with just his fingerpalm.
Do you see my point Chicken? David Roths book would be a perfect approach after bobos.

Sep 24, 2007
The question though is... "How long after Bobo's." A week? A month?
A couple years? I can understand the thing abouto "developing his own style" but getting another BOOK does not neccecarily destract from that. A dvd would, but certainly not a book.

The question though is... "How long after Bobo's." A week? A month?
A couple years? I can understand the thing abouto "developing his own style" but getting another BOOK does not neccecarily destract from that. A dvd would, but certainly not a book.

I can dig that, but with that logic, why not get a book like COINMAGIC by Richard Kaufman or another book that lets him get a sampling of a bunch of different magicians instead of one, so he can use the positive points with each magician to create his own style. Just a thought.

Jul 8, 2008

Hahahahah, I COMPLETELY disagree with you! There is absolutely NOTHING outdated in Bobo's except the thought of it being outdated. Have you even gone through the ENTIRE book, word for word, attempting everything? If you studied this book for as long as I have, you will begin to realize that if you had this one book and you wanted to begin coin magic, you will see that anything in here can be accomplished respectively in front of a genuine lay audience. What is outdated in this book to you? Classic palm? Thumb palm? Edge palm? Changeover palm? Gallo pitch? Bobo vanish? Bobo change? Shaw Judah switch? C'mon

And thats where "style" comes in. If you believe the thinking is outdated, change them. You should be doing that with every effect already, or you should just leave magic... like right now.

All the best,
-Chase

hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahha....ha.

If you dont like something, find something else, or make it your own. But since he is a beginner, he should focus more on figuring out WHAT his style is, not changing routines. Learn the basics, figure out your style, study techniques accordingly, and finally, after all those steps, study HOW to change that routine to fit that style. Finally, change the routine to fit your style. You cant change something according to style if you dont have a style developed yet.

hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahha....ha.

If you dont like something, find something else, or make it your own. But since he is a beginner, he should focus more on figuring out WHAT his style is, not changing routines. Learn the basics, figure out your style, study techniques accordingly, and finally, after all those steps, study HOW to change that routine to fit that style. Finally, change the routine to fit your style. You cant change something according to style if you dont have a style developed yet.
excellent point! I will say however, that learning the basics is what bobo's is for. It starts out with just sleights, allowing one to build their style as they learn each move. Watching others on the web doing these moves and other magic can help one explore different styles. Once they finish the first chapters, they have developed their own style and grasped the sleights. Then, they move onto the routines and have hte ability to change each and every routine to their newly found style. Thats why Bobo's is laid out the way it is. Thats why each and every pro says start there and thats why he should too.

Boom.
-Chase

haha

Sep 24, 2007
...eh?

I completely disagree... but ah well. It's all OK, right?

You said a moment ago taht all the pros thought Bobo's was the way to start out. Then why did they group together and write a "New Bobo's," eh?

I'm sure he ends up buying what he wants. Surely our advice isn't terribly affecting.

Once they finish the first chapters, they have developed their own style and grasped the sleights.

First few chapters and a few videos on youtube. Before you give more advice, go read the first few chapters of bobo and a few videos on youtube and tell me how, at all, can that define your style at all? And DEPENDING on style, you may want to learn those old routines in bobo, OR, newer routines in newer books, depending on style. Even after that, you have to understand that entertaining back then is NOT the same as entertaining now. So EVEN if he wants the older style, he is still going to want to learn newer techniques in order to actually entertain the people of today. Every coin pro started in bobo? Really now? Ok.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results