Combining Flourishing and Magic?

This is just a question I thought of randomly about an hour ago. It is more to just get a discussion started than for my own personal benefit.

My question is: What do you think about combining flourishing and magic? Should it be done? Or, to get really skilled, should one focus on a certain area?

Post your thoughts and why you think so.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
If you perform nothing but card tricks it could work.But you have to give me,as a spectator,a damn good reason to keep watching.Eye candy can only take you so far..heck not even real far.
Just check out Dynamo's insipid performances. Im not seeing magic in him.Just tricks.
And yes,there is a difference.

Oops my bad. I am not asking should they be combined while performing I am asking is it okay for someone to practice both but keep them seperate.

Sorry for bad explanation of my original question.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Oops my bad. I am not asking should they be combined while performing I am asking is it okay for someone to practice both but keep them seperate.

Sorry for bad explanation of my original question.

Oh,well yeah,why wouldnt it be okay?
Its like trying to decide if you want to play sports and be a hobbyist photographer.Why just not do both? Manage your time wisely is all you need.

Feb 28, 2008
Flourishing and Magic are sister arts... Most everyone that Flourishes does magic too.

I'm not a good flourisher, but the little I'm able to do is what gets me a crowd to perform magic.

Jan 10, 2009
new jersey
HOLD ON DUde DYnamo kicks ass. I'm sorry he is a natural performer. You can really see HIS personality when he's performing. But this is just my own observation. Secondly I think magic and flourishing can mesh very well. Look at Daniel Madison or Bucks just to name familiars. But one should be before the other. Meaning If you are a cardist a few tricks or productions are great to add to your routine. And with magic you just want give them a glimspe of your card skills. Depending on the effect. I think they're a great melting pot of performances. You just can't over saturate one over the other.

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
Simply put, I don't think you should combine flourishes with magic. Actually, it depends on your definition of a flourish.

As a response to this, I'll post what Jeff McBride said in regards to this topic:

I love flourishes. Many magi feel that they aren't magic. I disagree. Extraordinary skill borders on the impossible. Add a dash of magic to your flourishes, and you push people from what is physically possible to what metaphysically is not possible.

Sauce: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=314246&forum=267

Feb 3, 2009
Magic & Flourishes

I use flourishes in my routines when it calls for it. Sometimes to bring attention then a card trick. Then in between while you build a rapour with your observers. It really depends but it can also work out if you use it in your trick to add a climax or build up the suspense in fancy moves to give an illusion that its harder than it really is. Plus it keeps your audience attention and aww factor. Thats my opinion. Practice both and work it in little by little and in your own style. HOOK LINE & SINKER is what I like to call it. Good Luck!

Soldier Magic

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Me personally:

Flourishes = eye candy, used to draw attention and then perform magic from there.

Magic = doing something that is impossible and creates a sense of wonder in the spectators mind.

I keep my magic and flourishes separate. Flourishes for me is like juggling, a skilled art-form and I rarely mix complex flourishes with my magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results