Commercial Help

Jun 10, 2012
Whats up guys! I recently got the chance to be sponsored by a clothing line as a street magician.We are going to do a commercial together that will be up on youtube.

Do u guys have any advices or things you think would be cool in the video??
I am also going to be performing quick effects,
I need to know some of the most visual close up effects that u guys have ever seen,
Please comment down below guys,it would mean alot!!

Thank You :) - Jesus Puerta

c.t

Apr 17, 2013
Australia
Congrats dude!!! first off i have zero experience in that field so listen to the other guys cos they'll probably know more than me but lots of colour changes, bill changes, vanishes and reproductions, if i had to do it thats what i would be doing :) and a bit of cardistry will catch eyes as well, Good luck!!

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
You'll have little to no in-put.

The producers will sit down with you and ask for some ideas and you must create a presentation as to what you can deliver. Being a clothing thing I'd suggest routines that involve clothing (sorry I don't recall the names) but the Quick change T-shirt effect might be appropriate, the appearing neck tie, color change neck tie, the color change vest, etc. are a few of the things that come to mind. You'll also have to think like Criss Angel in some cases, teaching an actor how to do certain of these color changes so you can do the magic to them; transforming what they wear to being something sold by your client. . . not camera tricks but certainly the use of a "trained assistant".

You MUST get secrecy agreements with everyone directly involved with the magic side of things. This is simply a legal protection for you that encourages people that you trust with "your" secrets to keep their mouth shut or else face legal action. While any contract is only as good as the lawyer behind it, it's been found that most people will honor said promises and too, it makes you look far more professional.

In the case of modified outfits (for creating the quick change effects) the company must cover all said costs and it must be worded in your contract that the modified clothing remains your property after the shoot. . . but it will put an obligation on your shoulders to feature said pieces in shows for the balance of the season, so if you are doing an early spring shoot you will have to feature the clothing used in that shoot for the 12 weeks spring is generally seen as existing. This includes featuring the company's logo on your posters and notation in other show related materials.

NO, this is not a common practice but is an encouraged practice for someone new to the corporate environment and seeking to grow in that world. Companies love the expression of loyalty and support; knowing that you're not a one show pony as it were. they fee they pay you is for more than the one gig and in a crappy economy such as we're in, the added (though subtle) acts of consumer contact will be more than appreciated.

AFTER THE FIRST SHOOT (even before) you will want to start looking for other ways of working with the client. Grand Illusion offers several advantages when it comes to clothing lines such as the Costume Trunk and my own Wordrobe Closet routine and a number of "Bordoire" type settings. I think the biggest advantage however, is to develop new effects or serious twists on the older one, that will allow you and the magic to stand out. BUT DON'T FORGET TO CHARGE THEM! There are development costs.

I'm more than glad to help you on the effects side of things but when it comes to the business end, this is pretty much the extent of things for me.

Best of luck!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Dresscode is the one you're thinking of, Craig, I believe.

I'm not experienced in this but I would say go for stuff that allows you to show off their clothing. Whether it be using a design to force a choice or reveal something, doing the quick-change thing, etc. If I could see some examples of their clothes I could give better suggestions - otherwise you're just doing tricks while wearing clothes. Which can work. Dan & Dave did a promotion for English Laundry and that video was pretty decent. All they did was flourish while the clothes they were wearing changed. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWdAgm1AmPs)

Good luck.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results