Confusion with rrtcm

Jan 14, 2011
CONTROLLING THE TOP CARD
1. Holding the deck as explained, lift it with the right hand, and with the left thumb draw off the top card only in the first movement of the shuffle. Without the slightest pause or hesitation shuffle the other cards onto this one until the shuffle has been completed. The top card is now at the bottom of the pack.
2. Again lift the entire pack and repeat the shuffle you have just made down to the last card, which we know was the card originally at the top. Drop this card on top of all the others in the last movement of the shuffle. After a few trials you will find that this last card will cling to the thumb and fingers without any conscious effort on your part.

cant seam to understand
Gah should have saved the 5 bucks and go for dvd or something

Jan 14, 2011
still dont get it

and i cant do overhand shuffle properly its like when i put cards from my right hand to my left and as i take off some cards come out (not fall out just not evenly shuffled)

Nov 8, 2007
cant seam to understand
Gah should have saved the 5 bucks and go for dvd or something

Don't give up on the book just because you don't get one thing immediately. RRTCM is a great book and very well-written. Some things are going to take practice though.

Overhand shuffle control...

You're just cycling the top card to the bottom and back to the top with an overhand shuffle.

The card starts on top of the deck.

Peel that one card off as you begin an overhand shuffle, shuffling the rest of the deck on top of the first card that was peeled off.

The card being controlled is now on the bottom.

Now give the pack another overhand shuffle, letting the last card (the one being controlled) land on top as a single card at the end of the shuffle.

Here's a video of what the overhand shuffle should look like.

Hope that helps.

Happy Magic :)

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Let me try.
Hold the cards in the right hand, perpendicular to the floor. With your left thumb peel off the top card (let's say it's the ace of spades) into the left hand, and than drop all the other cards on top of that one. That action will put that top card (the ace of spades) on the bottom of the deck. Now check your position. Now you need to bring that same card (the ace of spades) from the bottom, back on top. To do that, drop all the cards except that bottom one (the ace of spades) into the left hand, so now you have only one card in your right hand (the ace of spades), and put it on top of the others.
Once you can do that, than instead of dropping all the cards at once, shuffle them off into the left hand. The actions for the ace of spades are the same.

Makes sense?

Sep 2, 2007
London
As part of my new year's resolutions, I'm working my way through Erdnase one step at a time until each technique is mastered, which meant going back to the overhand shuffle. If the deck is even slightly sticky it can be extremely difficult to guarantee running cards singly (ie, pulling off just one card at a time into the left hand). So, if you're having trouble with this, I would suggest using a new, clean deck, which may sort out some of your problems. A couple of additional tips are:

1. Allow the left thumb to contact the card high up, near the long edge which is furthest from the left palm.

2. Rather than moving the left thumb to pull the card off, keep that thumb still, and "brush" the card off with the movement of the right hand.

Jan 14, 2011
but how do i control the cards?
I dont get how the book meant by making the top card always be on top
the bottom one is easy cause its sealed by the fingers

Sep 2, 2007
London
Well, in simple terms, you shuffle it down to the bottom, then back up to the top.

1. Take the whole deck in your right hand ready to shuffle.
2. Run the first card (the top card of the deck) off into your left hand.
3. Shuffle the rest of the cards on top.
4. The card to be controlled is now on the bottom.
5. Take the deck again in your right hand ready to shuffle.
6. Shuffle off into your left hand until you only have a small packet left in your right hand.
7. Begin running the cards one by one until you have no cards left in your right hand.

The card which was on the top at the start of the process is back on top again.

Any questions?

Jan 14, 2011
Well, in simple terms, you shuffle it down to the bottom, then back up to the top.

1. Take the whole deck in your right hand ready to shuffle.
2. Run the first card (the top card of the deck) off into your left hand.
3. Shuffle the rest of the cards on top.
4. The card to be controlled is now on the bottom.
5. Take the deck again in your right hand ready to shuffle.
6. Shuffle off into your left hand until you only have a small packet left in your right hand.
7. Begin running the cards one by one until you have no cards left in your right hand.

The card which was on the top at the start of the process is back on top again.

Any questions?
I think i get it so basicly
i make the top card to the bottom and take the bottom packet till the last one is the top card?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results