Creating Presentation

Everybody who has read these forums know about the countless posts about your patter, presentation, performance, w/e word you want to use. We all hear and read about it but not many books or videos really help on how you can create your own presentation. I'm sure many people change a few lines from the creators original performance and stick with it.

I am hoping everyone hear can share some presentation ideas for different types of effects. Whether it be card sandwhiches, ACRs, mentalism effects, or money magic. Not only would I like a great discussion on presentation ideas but patter and how you can develop some for your effects. I have been trying to come up for a good presentation of ESPerfect for about a week and I am so lost that I wish he had included his with it.

My ACR performance is usually a force of a queen or jack, depending on specs gender, and then talk about how the card represents a crazy girlfriend or boyfriend. They take them home after a date, (place card in middle) and find the person inside their house standing over them (card on top.) Goes on from there moving from state to state, continent to continent and ends with either Card to Wallet or card to mouth.

My only advice on creating your own presentation is keeping an open mind and finding creativity out of everything can really help move things along. Don't be discouraged by a failed attempt at a presentation, because there is almost always something better.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I hate presentations about stories.
"There was once a little boy called Jack. HAHAHHAHA! and then... he found his parents! :D then they both caught two jokers in their castle..... ooooooh"
I feel like im treating my audience like they are mentally handicapped or something.

I like to present tricks with a side of "science" to it. I always provide some form of explanation, which is obviously BS but people like listening to it anyways.

For my ACR for example, I use a mixture of Williamson and Joshua Jays patter for a few tricks. I say I will misdirect them to do a special move. The first few times they look at me when i talk = misdirection. Then they try to concentrate but I point out something somewhere and they look. then finally they burn the deck like a holy mother and it finally is in my mouth. And its a beautiful ending because you tell them not to look anywhere, but they inevitably look up at your mouth to see the card. This presents two things. You have once again misdirected them. The card is a crazy ambitious little dick.

My biddle trick presentation is based off poker faces and what not. I wont go deep into that but yea. It goes for a good 5 minutes.

For tricks like Sam the Bellhop or any other which I must use a story or bs explanation, I make it a comical presentation. For example... Daleys Trick where the Ace of spades sinks through the clubs or what ever... I say "there is more ink on the spades and blah blah blah" But I basically say it hinting that I have no idea wtf im talking about and am just rambling on. This creates humor as well as an assumption you have no idea what youre doing which makes the effect a tad stronger when worked well.

Jul 13, 2009
To fallow the common trend of ACR routines here is mine.

"No matter how hard I try to fit in I always end up distant. I start on one end, get lost in the mix but always end up distant. I paint myself to look more like others, yet I always find myself distant from the rest. It is only when I come to terms that I belong away from the rest, that I can truly flourish." Card appears in my pocket.

Moral of the story is its okay to be yourself, and when you figure that out you will flourish in what you do best. Being you.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Tony Chang's ACR presentation is perhaps the best I have ever witnessed. Whilst I hold a certain disdain for those who like him simply for his sleight of hand ability... ("OMG! His sleights are amazing! He MUST be a good magician, right?" WRONG! Quit magic and kill yourself!)

...That is, indeed, magic, and much respect goes out to him. For good reasons.

I dislike using BS explanations, I used to but it took away from any real presentation that related to a audience. I also really dislike how long Ricky Jay's stories are and how they are usually unrelated to what's going on.

It's fairly simple to use some sort of patter similar to mine or Keoke's. Actually makes sense and gets the audience have some sort of part in it.

Aug 18, 2008
Tony Chang's ACR presentation is perhaps the best I have ever witnessed. Whilst I hold a certain disdain for those who like him simply for his sleight of hand ability... ("OMG! His sleights are amazing! He MUST be a good magician, right?" WRONG! Quit magic and kill yourself!)

...That is, indeed, magic, and much respect goes out to him. For good reasons.

Is there a video anywhere?

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I actually used ACR moves to show the entire deck was one card. No card selected and the reason why is I would know what it was. But then show the cards to be all different, which is impressive, because I either switched the entire deck from all the same to all different or have sleight of hand amazing enough to show a mixed deck as one.

Great opener. It works and establishes skill, as well as entertains.

I will say that I did not come up with this concept, just use it with my set of moves. I have leaned from different styles, all offshoots of myself, and am leaning towards a lighter, comedic style of magic to build effects upon.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results