Criss Angel : Out Of Hand

Sep 16, 2007
Kent, WA state
I swear i said that already like three pages ago, but realistically his street stuff is not all that bad. He has to compile enough stuff for a half an hour episode each week.

I would challenge anyone here to try and come up with almost half an hour worth of GOOD street material every week for 2-4 months. It would be difficult, which is why every episode is not a gem, but if you actually watch every episode he does some good quality stuff in between his camera tricks and editing.

Well that's just it, if he can't come up with quality material for an hour every week, then he shouldn't put out a show every week. Quality > Quanitity unless it's about the money- in which case it's the opposite. I bet most magicians with a wide array of magician 'consultants' that Criss and David Blaine collaborate with could come up with a specials. Criss is just playing himself into the ground, people are like 'oh... criss angel... cool /yawn' Because he's on so much doing mediocre street magic. But when DB has a special people get amped because they don't happen all the time. He's just overexposing himself and people to a bad side of magic with his OBVIOUS camera edits.

Oh, and if anyone out there doubts camera edits, check out the episode from, i think, season 2 where he goes to the bar and Flashes the Pass on a trick. He does a trick with a pool table and card-in-envelope. If you watch before the rack is broken he sets a card on top of the rack. When the person breaks it, the card isn't there. Food for thought :)

Sep 2, 2007
Jonathan Pendragon and David Copperfield have been supporters of each each other before you and I were even born. Yes, David Copperfield wanted to use a metamorphosis in one of his shows years ago and asked Jonathan if it were OK. Jonathan said no, then something very personal happened and his mind changed. But David didn't end up using that version anyway. EVERY SINGLE ILLUSION Mr. Copperfield does, that isn't his own, has been bought with the rights to perform it. Just so you know. That does not make him a theif, but a smart business man.

I'm sorry you feel this way, and I don't really feel like I should change your mind, but its awfully bold of you to call one of the world's most famous magcians a thief.

Just FYI I've heard that story from BOTH magicians.

KE

Very well. I don't know Mr. Pendragon, but I went to his show in Charlottesville, VA. It was the first show he did since the accident he had where that arrow went through his diaphragm and part of his heart. When the show was all over, I asked some of the crew breaking the set down if I could go backstage and meet him. The guy asked, "Are you a magician?" and when I said yes, he went to speak to Mr. Pendragon. Surprisingly enough, I was allowed backstage.

During that conversation, the topic turned to general theft of material (Thomas Edison's name came up), and Mr. Pendragon said (now, I'm not sure this is verbatim, but I'm remembering as closely as I can), "Yeah, David Copperfield has stolen a ton of stuff. For a while he was just stealing stuff from everybody. He even tried to take my work on Metamorphasis." Maybe I misunderstood what he said, but I'm pretty sure that's along the lines of what he told me, and that version of the story certainly doesn't sound like there was any kind of agreement between the two magicians about whether or not Copperfield was going to be using Metamorphosis.

You obviously know both magicians better than I do, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but I can't imagine why Mr. Pendragon would be going around telling two different versions of what happened.

Sep 3, 2007
Canada EH?
Db Show

I thought that I would post what I know about DB next show. From what I have heard from very reliable sources he will be performing a stunt of being in solitary confinement for 1 year. I do not enjoy Angle to be honest, but I feel that David Blaine, Criss Angle and even Copperfield have been very smart in some ways. They have been able to make tons of money off of performing to large masses. It is hard for me to determine if it is a hindrance or positive on the average day magician.

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
Solitary for a year? The American public will lose interest after about a week. Then they'll wait until he comes out... that is too long, and not a very good idea if you ask me... hell, it'd be a blessing to be all alone for a year if you ask me.

Sep 1, 2007
Criss Angel in my opinion is a fantastic performer. His presentation skills are very good while his mechanical skills are not. Isn't magic about the presentation?

If any of you have seen his earlier specials like "Supernatural" you know he is a qualified magician, not the best in the world, but good. He is an unbelievable stage magician. His stage show brought a new image, light, and performance style to magic. The old Criss Angel was great... the new criss angel is questionable. Keep in mind Criss has to come up with a new episode week after week. Wouldn't you probably go to camera tricks and stooges for at least a few shows? The 1 st season was great. There were perhaps 3 tricks with stooges and 2 camera tricks- that is throughout all 15 episodes, in my opinion that was fine. By season 2, Criss relied on these more, and by season 3... well, you get the picture.

The point is, criss has made magic popular culture. He has changed the image. He has a TV show and you don't- most of the backlash is from jealousy....

But believe it or not I'm also frusturated with CA, about 40% of the time a do a trick for a lay person they ask about criss angel and ask if I can do what he does. At this point I just want to tell them that 'it's all camera tricks. That is what is difficult... There are so many great magicians that most people have never heard of. All the public sees is blaine, angel and copperfield.

They are performers and entertainers, and I respect Criss Angels vision and philosophy... but no magician can ever match the effects created by the camera.
Whether you agree or not, you have to admit that Criss has made a name for himself and brought a new look, style, and vision to the old fashioned art of magic.

He just should have quit after the 1st season... and continue with his stage show!

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Criss is a magician.
I dont agree with the way he does things, But i dont agree with alot of things.

Why does everyone have to hate him.

He is good.
David blaine is good.
Copperfield *not sure how he ever got pulled into this thread* is brilliant.

Just shut up be amazed and leave it at that.

~Jordan

Sep 17, 2007
If you ask me he is a great stage magician but thats not what people are watching they see him perform some street trick that requires a stooge and setup and that is what p*sses me off. I live in relatively small town and it seems like almost everybody has seen Criss Angle so I can't perform a real trick without somebody telling me that Criss can do that or Criss did this why don't you and it does get annoying and he indirectly cause me to be ignored unless I do something better then "melting" through an armored truck.

Sep 1, 2007
No, it really isn't... and it's a typical response from a Criss Fanboi.

I'm not a criss fanboy as you can tell by my post. I know that some of it is not jealousy and are legit complaints about his excess use of camera effects. Although, a lot of the backlash is stemmed from pure jealousy- I'm not talking about any specific person- but just the magic community in general.

Aug 31, 2007
Criss Angel went to school for video editing and has his own editing team for the show. I don't see how we, as magicians can respect him for this. He puts these lies out to the rest of the world and then when we perform were expected to meet his standards which are just totally insane.

What's the difference between watching someone fly in a movie with special effects, and watching criss angel? I don't understand how people are impressed by this, but then go and watch superman fly and think it to be normal!

I know theres a goood percentage of us on this site who think, if we had the chance criss had, we'd do it 9999 times better. And i think we would! I would loove a show that has real magic and shows the public the good stuff.

Idk, i find myself just rambling. Lets get the theory artists doing it right and showing the world some good stuff eh?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results