Criss Angel : Out Of Hand

Sep 16, 2007
Kent, WA state
You're basically of the same thought process as me on some levels 'homeslice'. All his stupid illusions you can TELL are setup and most of the audience is in on it. He vanishes an elephant... that isn't surrounded by any means, he 'vanishes' off a table at a pool-where you can see the mirror. He levitates from building-to-building: which you can actually find out basically the mechanics of it on youtube, which were obvious to me. HOW can you do something as 'epic' as floating from 1 building to another and not have more then like 7 people to watch it; have the sun cast a different shadow every angle that is shot. Oh, and watch him walk across water on a pool noticing it's obvious essentially how he does it.

I just dont think he's a talented street performer at all. His only redeeming thing from what i've seen is Sinful- and wayne houchin brought that to him. Oh well though, i'm over Criss Angel- he's a joke of a street magician in my eyes.

Sep 1, 2007
I just watched an old episode of Mindfreak where he says: "most of my ideas come from movies and not from magic"

I never really understood what he meant until I actually took it literally...:rolleyes:

Actually, in my opinion, magicians think that Criss uses more camera effects than he actually does. Most of it is editing out the part that may hint how he accomplishes it- but a lot of the reactions are real. Well.... most of them... actually, maybe like half of them... Oh well.

Sep 1, 2007
It stills amazes me that people, maybe its younger magicians mostly, are enraged by stooges and editing. I've read magic books that have tricks that require you have stooges/partners in the crowd for the trick to work. By how angry people get, you'd think this was all something new and that Criss is the only one who's ever done it. Go back and watch David Blaine's levitation and tell me that isn't the most horrid, amateur editing you've ever seen.

Criss Angel spends big money to develope contraptions to make his tricks work, we spend 25 bucks to buy gimmicks. Clearly nothing we do is as magicians is real, but it creates the illusion of reality. As magicians we know its illusion, and though many have seem to forgotten, Mindfreak is not a show for magicians. Its a show for average joes to watch and be amazed. The people who can sit there and say, "oh, he used camera tricks" or" he used a special rig to allow him to do that" is not the target audience, in the same way that we do not like to perform for people who are constantly burning our hands or blurting out how they think things are done while we're performing. Regardless of our methods, we as "magicians" do what we love for peolple who love what we do, and the day I see Criss Angel lose sight of that is the day I call him out as a "hack". Because as far as I can tell the Criss Angel of Mindfreak is a television character which people are using as a basis to judge a real magician whom they may have never seen perform in person.

Sep 16, 2007
Kent, WA state
Well it'd be tough to find someone he's performed for, they probably all signed an NDA after he paid them.

You're right, DB's 1 levitation for the 2 girls was obviously fake- but he never claimed it was REAL. Criss claims all his stupid ass illusions are real, and he goes above and beyond to do the whole 'we've never met before right, we've never met, have we ever met? no, ok'. David Blaine never has HAD to say that kind of nonsense because it's not blatantly obvious his **** is just a glorified acting class with a performer and amateur actors for an audience.

I know old OLD books have effects that require stooges, i've read a lot of old books too. Don't make blatant assumptions about the age of the magicians age bracket- it just makes you look ignorant.

To me, it's not so much the fact that he uses them, but it's how blatant it is and how he denies it to the death that he uses stooges and camera edits WHEN IT'S OBVIOUS he does. He thinks his audience- whether it be TV or in person- is stupid and below him. He's a pompous asshat, and i doubt it's his 'persona' that's fueling his arrogance. That's my thoughts on him, he's going downhill fast and his arrogance will bite him in the ass.

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
I think it would be fun to go down and take my camera and just fallow them around filming what I see. :D

You should do that.

Then you can sit in your room in the fetal position watching in glee saying to yourself

"I knew it.. Hee hee i knew it iknew it i knew it!"

=P

I wish criss didnt bring great stage illusions to the street, Sure some are pretty good, But alot of them kind of ruin the whole stage thing.

I do like some of his simple stuff.

Any of you see him with the finger chopper and carrot top?

=P

~Jordan

Sep 1, 2007
Well it'd be tough to find someone he's performed for, they probably all signed an NDA after he paid them.

You're right, DB's 1 levitation for the 2 girls was obviously fake- but he never claimed it was REAL. Criss claims all his stupid ass illusions are real, and he goes above and beyond to do the whole 'we've never met before right, we've never met, have we ever met? no, ok'. David Blaine never has HAD to say that kind of nonsense because it's not blatantly obvious his **** is just a glorified acting class with a performer and amateur actors for an audience.

I know old OLD books have effects that require stooges, i've read a lot of old books too. Don't make blatant assumptions about the age of the magicians age bracket- it just makes you look ignorant.

To me, it's not so much the fact that he uses them, but it's how blatant it is and how he denies it to the death that he uses stooges and camera edits WHEN IT'S OBVIOUS he does. He thinks his audience- whether it be TV or in person- is stupid and below him. He's a pompous asshat, and i doubt it's his 'persona' that's fueling his arrogance. That's my thoughts on him, he's going downhill fast and his arrogance will bite him in the ass.

Ah and don't be so arrogant yourself as to discredit my observations about age brackets. From what I've read and seen in the media, many established pros and longtme magicians aren't so bold to call him a hack, or an asshat as you put it. From what I see, younger and/or less established magicians have the mentality of, "give me a camera and I can do those tricks too." There may be some pros and established magicians who disapprove, if there are let me know.

And you completely disregarded the fact that I made is clear that as magicians we see his tricks as OBVIOUSLY being stooged or edited, but lay audiences do not. Lay people I know do not say "oh, that dude was obviously a stooge," and I'm sure there are many other people who also do not notice. The people who watch a magic show and then go to look up how its done or analyze it to post how its done just for whatever reason are not the people who should be watching. Clearly they already don't buy it going in.

But I guess you've made it clear your mad just that he says his tricks are real. I guess he should be honest, and at the end of each show he should say, "heey people, everything was rigged. You should watch a different channel next week cause this **** is entirely fake." The same way at the end of a card trick I should pull the people aside and explain, " well, I use this gimmick here to make the trick work." Blaine may have never come out and said, " I'm going to levitate for real," I honestly don't remember if he did or not, but the special emphasized that it was really going to happen and Blaine played the part.

Criss takes stage effects to the streets, the audience/stooges are simply the street version of a beautiful assistant. Clearly they're in on the trick, but when you see that girl levitated off the the ground you have to step back and say "what the...".

No offense to you and your, or any other, opinions. These are just my observations. Personally I will reserve my opinions of Criss the magician not the character for the day I meet him. He is good friends with the radio show personalities here and performed some street magic on my college campus, unfortunately I was not around that day. But I hope he does stop by soon.

Sep 3, 2007
You're right, DB's 1 levitation for the 2 girls was obviously fake- but he never claimed it was REAL. Criss claims all his stupid ass illusions are real

Wrong again homeslice...he never actually says they are real. If you actually watched the show you would hear him say on more then one occasion that alot of what he does is real ( such as close-up/card stuff obviously being real because it is sleight of hand ) and alot is an illusion...he just does not specify what kind of illusion *be it camera tricks or not*. So before you go making stuff up i would do some research.

Sep 2, 2007
Wrong again homeslice...he never actually says they are real.

He does call them "illusions." Criss Angel nevers says that they are not "real;" however, the implication that his illusions are "real" is derived from the fact that he says that he does not use camera editing.

Real is subjective. Is magic real? It depends on one's interpretation of real, and one's feelings and beliefs about magic.

Although Criss Angel never states that his effects are real, he does use camera editing to make his illusions appear that way.

Cheers,
JTM

Sep 3, 2007
True...but he never once says that he is actually levitating or that he is claiming to be a wizard or something like that.

Sep 2, 2007
True...but he never once says that he is actually levitating or that he is claiming to be a wizard or something like that.

You're right. (I believe he considers himself a hobbit, not a wizard. :D)

If I perform the Balducci Levitiation, although it's an illusion, in my opinion, it is real because I, myself, performed the illusion.

However, if I film myself and edit it, so it looks like I'm hovering over the Earth, for me, that is not real because I, myself, did not perform the illusion -- Photoshop did.

That would be the only thing I consider "Out Of Hand," in regards to Criss Angel.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,
JTM

Sep 1, 2007
Let Criss Angel inspire you! If you see a trick that you think can only be done by camera, think of a new way to do it for real. Let the effects done with camera tricks inspire new methods to create impossible effects.

Think of how else you could do it besides the camera. Also, instead of hearing spectators say "have you seen what criss angel does?!" Use you own magic abilities to go beyond Criss's tricks to say "Wow! you're better than criss angel!"

There are some magic tricks that can be as good as any camera effect. Let his show inspire your own creative thinking.

Also... criss really doesn't use that much camera effects- Only 30% of what he does is camera tricks/ and stooges, and 60% uses editing parts of the trick out.

The only "fake" effects are just 30% of what he does- that leaves 70% real reactions. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with a few stooges (just not excessive use)

If you hate him, let it inspire you to be better than him, and to be able to do it for real.

Sep 16, 2007
Kent, WA state
Wrong again homeslice...he never actually says they are real. If you actually watched the show you would hear him say on more then one occasion that alot of what he does is real ( such as close-up/card stuff obviously being real because it is sleight of hand ) and alot is an illusion...he just does not specify what kind of illusion *be it camera tricks or not*. So before you go making stuff up i would do some research.

For one, dont ever call me homeslice. if you think i was speaking to you or anyone that wasn't named Homeslice- like the poster i was talking to WAS, then you're sadly mistaken. I did watch his ****ty show, i watched most of Season 2 with people that would be considered 'LAY PERSONS', and even they laughed at the stuff he tried to pull off.

You taking what i said as pure literal just proves that the Angel kids are running out of arguments. Sorry i wasn't EXACTLY LITERAL on how he conveys his stuff to be real when it obviously isn't to his audience (over the television). To me it's an isult to human intelligence the way he tries to act like his floating across 2 buildings and walking on water are REAL.

I think it was you, i dont know- the angel kids run together but someone was talking about how they should take their spec aside after a card trick and show them, blah blah blah. Whatever it was it was a horrible comparison.

You do a card trick you aren't editing anything, you aren't claiming you have black magic powers; you let the spec decide either way. You walk around boasting about how you can walk down the side of a building/float building-to-building/vanish an elephant in front of 'random people' and try to play it off as real- that's just insulting and the ONLY 'lay persons' that buy into that stupid stuff are people that are insanely gullible and will believe anything they dont take 5 seconds to think about and understand.

Sep 1, 2007
For one, dont ever call me homeslice. if you think i was speaking to you or anyone that wasn't named Homeslice- like the poster i was talking to WAS, then you're sadly mistaken. I did watch his ****ty show, i watched most of Season 2 with people that would be considered 'LAY PERSONS', and even they laughed at the stuff he tried to pull off.

You taking what i said as pure literal just proves that the Angel kids are running out of arguments. Sorry i wasn't EXACTLY LITERAL on how he conveys his stuff to be real when it obviously isn't to his audience (over the television). To me it's an isult to human intelligence the way he tries to act like his floating across 2 buildings and walking on water are REAL.

I think it was you, i dont know- the angel kids run together but someone was talking about how they should take their spec aside after a card trick and show them, blah blah blah. Whatever it was it was a horrible comparison.

You do a card trick you aren't editing anything, you aren't claiming you have black magic powers; you let the spec decide either way. You walk around boasting about how you can walk down the side of a building/float building-to-building/vanish an elephant in front of 'random people' and try to play it off as real- that's just insulting and the ONLY 'lay persons' that buy into that stupid stuff are people that are insanely gullible and will believe anything they dont take 5 seconds to think about and understand.

As you told me before, don't be so bold as to classify people. As of yet I still haven't said whether I'm a true fan of Criss Angel's and you have already lumped me into a group. And you use Angel Kids as an insult, pretty childish man.

To my knowledge he has never claimed to be able to do those stage tricks outside of a stage or his show. Your spinning it like he walks around all day telling everybody he can do all those things whenever he pleases.

By your logic all magic is an insult to human intelligence. Clearly he's not really flying or walking on water, but he's creating the illusion that he is. Everyone knows it defies the laws of physics, and cannot be done without trickery. In the same way I can't really transpose two objects or levitate for real. Guess we're all performing for a world of idiots, right?

I made the comment about pulling a spectator aside and disclosing the method. It was pertaining more to the fact that he uses stooges and/or rigs, though I may not have been entirely clear. You said he should be honest about all his methods. He uses stooges and/or rigs to pull off those tricks, he shouldn't present it as real to his audience. In the same way, if I do a trick, say Invisible Deck, if it involves anything other than a fair, unaltered deck of cards, I should not present it as being a fair deck of cards. Because thats claiming I can do something I clearly cannot do, I should be honest with my audience. For many tricks, if not all, you either convince your audience everything is legit or they assume it is, even if it isn't. I guess my analogy does work for editing as well. I have an altered deck which I present as real, he has altered video footage which he presents as real. You should be able to understand that. This follows through to the very basics of magic. Can't do a double lift without making your spectator believe you only have one card.

You also can't argue that he's not doing magic because he's really only putting on an act. There are many tricks that are basically self working, all you need to do is work on presentation to make it "real" to your spectator. And by using stooges, editing, and performing, he's presenting tricks, that may not be done otherwise, to a television audience.

I do like the suggestion someone made about going out and doing it better, though.

Sep 1, 2007
Have you people actually ever thought that it is possible that someone may come up with a trick that uses a method you don't know?

Sep 3, 2007

Good for you, im glad youve taken the time to go through all the members of this board and label anyone who has a remote interest in Criss Angel an Angel kid. The angel kids run together ? Not even sure what you are trying to imply but its a little ridiculous. Get over yourself buddy

I like criss angel, so sue me. Im not an Angel kid or whatever you think that is, when we do magic we are not actually doing anything we claim to be doing. When we perform the ACR we are not ACTUALLY making the card come from the middle to the top, its never actually in the middle of the pack. Everything we do is an illusion, wether it is sleight of hand or a stage illusion that requires all sorts of outside mechanics. None of us are Harry Potter and none of us do real magic, get over it.

What criss does is his own style, he chooses to use camera editing to make his show better, I may not agree with it but i enjoy watching his show. I enjoy seeing the reactions he gets from some of the stuff he does, he is a good quality performer and it is a shame it does not show through in his TV show.

As for calling anyone who is fooled by that stuff gullible and basically stupid is what youre calling them because they dont take 5 seconds to think about. Thats just rude and ignorant and im insulted by it as well, a large percentage of people enjoy not knowing how something is done, they dont care how its done, they just enjoy watching it and being amazed that someone else has come up with the time and effort just for their entertainment. I'm not sure why youre hating on criss angel so much or insulting his fans ( be it magician or non-magician fans ) but its not gaining you anything.

Drezmagic has byfar made the best response in this thread, if you dont like him or you dont like his magic or you think you can do it better. Then get off your ass and do it, let it inspire you to make thos impossible camera tricks possible. Make it happen, prove you are better then him.

Until then...leave the man alone, hes just doing his job...homeslice.

- Xander

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results