Criss Angel : Out Of Hand

Sep 2, 2007
London
If I showed you the top card of a deck, turned it over and put (apparently) that card in your hand, then told you I'd make the card change, everyone who posts on this site would think I'd done a double lift. And yes, chances are I would have done. However, if I did that for a layman (if I presented it well), I may well have given them a miracle they will remember for the rest of their life...in other words, I will have performed magic. We all know about double lifts, and we can all spot an edit on TV. Some people, however, get absorbed in the performance, because they haven't done the reading and study magicians have done, and they prefer to enjoy the effect.

Granted, some magicians only want to impress other magicians, which is fine. However, the people who make their living from magic perform for laymen, whether that's in restaurants, bars, on the street, on the stage, or on TV. Those people are performing to to entertain, not to show off their skills, in other words it makes absolutely no difference how they acheive their effects, as long as they elicit the intended reaction from the audience.

Sep 1, 2007
I never did like criss angel, never will. Not into the staged and actors crap. Plus, he looks all evil and crap.

Sep 3, 2007
All evil and crap...such a vivid description.

I agree with what TeeDee and them that are saying that he is doing what needs to be done to create the desired effect and entertain his audience. After all we are ALL entertainers, if we entertain our audience then we have suceeded in our goal.

I will admit I am a fan of Angel, I may not be a huge fan of the fact that he uses cameras and editing but what are you gonna do. He does what he does and he makes a great living out of it.

Most of us dont like it because we do not have the ability or cannot afford to edit video ourselves. Honestly...how many times have you thought " Man, it would be great to cut this video up and make it really look like that card is actually flaoting 20 feet over my head". He did not get to where he is now by using camera editing, he is a quality performer and has a quality stage show which has earned him numerous magician of the year awards.

I have seen his stage show and enojyed it very much, he does some illusions better then alot of people I have ever seen and that is exactly why he is on TV right now with his own series, if you dont approve or dont enjoy his show then dont watch it, no one is forcing it on you. People watch his show because they enjoy watching him create magic and they enjoy being entertained, no matter how he goes about doing it.

I am personally looking forward to the Cirque Du Soleil show of his to open in Vegas so he can get back to his roots of stage performing. If he uses lights and smoke and fog and machinery and technology in this show will you still say he has no skill and is a no talent magician ?

Sep 1, 2007
If he uses lights and smoke and fog and machinery and technology in this show will you still say he has no skill and is a no talent magician ?

I would definitly say that. I would say he knows how to use a fog machine farely well but other than that..

Sep 3, 2007
So your going to call copperfield a no talent magician ?

He uses fog, lights, and all sorts of modern technology to create his illusions.

P.S - If youve seen copperfield's recent show he also LIES to you...who would have thought a magician would lie to their audience.

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Ok.

Criss angel.

Top of his game. Unfortunatley going dooown.
I personally think he is a good magician, I just wished he presented himself differently. I dont like the whole goth/punk/emo/skater thing has going..
I have met him before * i was hanging around the luxor and caught him wondering about.*

Anyway.
I prefer him as a stage magician or! street with no editing. Because that just gets old.
His first season was amazing. 2nd season.. Eh...

Criss. Thumbs up for stage and a 7 out of 10 for street.

Thats my opinion.

I personally always liked db more. Always always always.
He has that raw powerful concept of magic.
And he dresses pretty well to =P
---

And i swear to god if copperfield makes the moon vanish. I will personally find him.. And give him a hug.

*Only to find out he is a hologram and fall through it.*

~Jordan

Sep 10, 2007
A question was asked not to long ago about what is wrong with magic today? One answer would be the amount of camera tricks and stooges used in TV these days to pass off as magic. If you believe that a trick involving noting but camera tricks and stooges is magic then your are confused about the difference between magic and a Hollywood film. If you think that a show filled with mostly camera tricks/stooges are apart of magic then the greatest magician of all time would be Steven Spielberg.

If you can not understand the difference between using technology in a live setting of the theater where you get one shot at an illusion, in front of a live audience(key word here is live audience), versus video editing, camera tricks, where you can only created an illusion from behind a computer screen then god help us all as the future of magic is doomed, but the next golden age of film making is upon us.

You show me one popular magic forum that has a section call camera tricks and video editing or a book by a well know magician with the same title. There is none because its not magic, it may be entertainment but its not magic, how would you feel you your got Panic or Distortion or D.D. and all it was an explanation on have to film a video to create the effect, you would feel cheated the same way an audience would feel if they found out that a trick was nothing more than camera trickery. The audience has no problem with feeling tricked, they have a problem with feeling cheated.

Sep 16, 2007
Kent, WA state
A question was asked not to long ago about what is wrong with magic today? One answer would be the amount of camera tricks and stooges used in TV these days to pass off as magic. If you believe that a trick involving noting but camera tricks and stooges is magic then your are confused about the difference between magic and a Hollywood film. If you think that a show filled with mostly camera tricks/stooges are apart of magic then the greatest magician of all time would be Steven Spielberg.

If you can not understand the difference between using technology in a live setting of the theater where you get one shot at an illusion, in front of a live audience(key word here is live audience), versus video editing, camera tricks, where you can only created an illusion from behind a computer screen then god help us all as the future of magic is doomed, but the next golden age of film making is upon us.

You show me one popular magic forum that has a section call camera tricks and video editing or a book by a well know magician with the same title. There is none because its not magic, it may be entertainment but its not magic, how would you feel you your got Panic or Distortion or D.D. and all it was an explanation on have to film a video to create the effect, you would feel cheated the same way an audience would feel if they found out that a trick was nothing more than camera trickery. The audience has no problem with feeling tricked, they have a problem with feeling cheated.

I agree 100%

Sep 3, 2007
East Coast

I agree 99%

I would have said George Lucas was the greatest.

Sep 2, 2007
Hate to throw a bone in this whole thing, but you don't get to be magician of the year for being a no-talent hack who does nothing but camera edits to accomplish his effects. With friends and supporters like the Amazing Jonathan and Banachek in his corner, I'd say Criss has enough support from enough of the magic community to be worth his salt.

And as for David Blaine. . . he does a crazy stunt once every few years, and the magic has all but gone from his specials. I might watch the '08 show, but if they're already starting the hype for it, it's probably doomed to be a flop.

David Copperfield, by the by, is a thief. He's swiped a lot of material from a lot of illusionists, and he attempted to commandeer Jonathan Pendragon's record-breaking version of Metamorphosis, or at least that's what Pendragon told me when I spoke to him backstage in November. I don't have much respect for Copperfield, I'm afraid. I'd definitely watch Criss over him any day.

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
David Copperfield, by the by, is a thief. He's swiped a lot of material from a lot of illusionists, and he attempted to commandeer Jonathan Pendragon's record-breaking version of Metamorphosis, or at least that's what Pendragon told me when I spoke to him backstage in November. I don't have much respect for Copperfield, I'm afraid. I'd definitely watch Criss over him any day.

Jonathan Pendragon and David Copperfield have been supporters of each each other before you and I were even born. Yes, David Copperfield wanted to use a metamorphosis in one of his shows years ago and asked Jonathan if it were OK. Jonathan said no, then something very personal happened and his mind changed. But David didn't end up using that version anyway. EVERY SINGLE ILLUSION Mr. Copperfield does, that isn't his own, has been bought with the rights to perform it. Just so you know. That does not make him a theif, but a smart business man.

I'm sorry you feel this way, and I don't really feel like I should change your mind, but its awfully bold of you to call one of the world's most famous magcians a thief.

Just FYI I've heard that story from BOTH magicians.

KE

Sep 16, 2007
Kent, WA state
Hate to throw a bone in this whole thing, but you don't get to be magician of the year for being a no-talent hack who does nothing but camera edits to accomplish his effects. With friends and supporters like the Amazing Jonathan and Banachek in his corner, I'd say Criss has enough support from enough of the magic community to be worth his salt.

And as for David Blaine. . . he does a crazy stunt once every few years, and the magic has all but gone from his specials. I might watch the '08 show, but if they're already starting the hype for it, it's probably doomed to be a flop.

You're right, he didn't get Magician of the Year by being a no-talent hack. Very true, but he also doesn't get it for his b.s. 'street' stuff, he gets it for his stage grand illusion and paying off people like Penn & Teller and Lance burton to vouch for his 'street magic'.

No one has said criss's grand stage illusion sucks- just his wannabe street magic.

Sep 3, 2007
I swear i said that already like three pages ago, but realistically his street stuff is not all that bad. He has to compile enough stuff for a half an hour episode each week.

I would challenge anyone here to try and come up with almost half an hour worth of GOOD street material every week for 2-4 months. It would be difficult, which is why every episode is not a gem, but if you actually watch every episode he does some good quality stuff in between his camera tricks and editing.

Sep 1, 2007
I saw Chriss on Oprah, all he really did was talk about him self. And when he went to do the straitjacket escape, he talked about how it took Houdini 1:30 seconds to escape. Or something along those lines. And he was going to break his record.

This was sort of pitiful of Chriss to do. Although Chriss failed to mention that there are plenty of other people that can do it WAY faster then him self. It seemed through out the whole show, all he wanted to do is talk about him self, at least thats all I can remember. Thats when I stopped watching him, he is not doing it for the audience anymore, he is doing it because he wants to be better then everyone else. And he is failing.

I saw Chriss on Oprah, all he really did was talk about him self. And when he went to do the straitjacket escape, he talked about how it took Houdini 1:30 seconds to escape. Or something along those lines. And he was going to break his record.

This was sort of pitiful of Chriss to do. Although Chriss failed to mention that there are plenty of other people that can do it WAY faster then him self. It seemed through out the whole show, all he wanted to do is talk about him self, at least thats all I can remember. Thats when I stopped watching him, he is not doing it for the audience anymore, he is doing it because he wants to be better then everyone else. And he is failing.

Criss was invited on Oprah to talk about himself. What, is he gonna get up there and be like "Yeah, I have a friend, who's really good at magic, and he has this other friend who is even better blah blah blah."? It would be the same if, say, Jim Carrey was invited onto Oprah, i'm pretty sure they would talk about HIS success, not somebody elses. People went to see Criss Angel, and they got him. Just my two cents.

Sep 1, 2007
Criss was invited on Oprah to talk about himself. What, is he gonna get up there and be like "Yeah, I have a friend, who's really good at magic, and he has this other friend who is even better blah blah blah."? It would be the same if, say, Jim Carrey was invited onto Oprah, i'm pretty sure they would talk about HIS success, not somebody elses. People went to see Criss Angel, and they got him. Just my two cents.

Chriss at the time seemed so delighted with him self, it made me sick. It was if he felt everyone in the whole place was lucky because he decided to show up. And when I mean talk about him self, I mean he was just full of him self. He was building him self of like he was the best magician ever in the whole world. I don't like that. Now chriss was invited to talk about him self, duh. But it gets to a point where your just like, ok, I get it, your good. Shutup already!

thats how I felt.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results