Critique My Website

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Zac,
It is ok but nothing to get overly excited about. I do realize that you are limited though with a free website.

The font and text size on the bio and booking page is way too small to read. I would up it one to two sizes.

Your photo page is good to have but seriously...when I was looking through it I wanted to see photos of you and photos of you with the spectators. Not random shots of specs by themselves or of the names of locations you've performed at.

If I were you I'd save some money and do it up a lot better.
I'm just being honest man.

You are a great performer but your web page does not really do much to sell that.
I've seen some of your performances on your videos and you are on your way man but don't cut corners on the website.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
I would agree with Rev about the font and the pictures. Also, there is a spelling error in your Bio that you'll want to fix ASAP. Personally, I wanted to read more info on magic and now your other hobbies. Just my thoughts.

Okay thanks guys! I agree with Rev. After sleeping on it and taking a 2nd look, I know exactly what you mean. Again, much appreciation guys!
hey Zac, before i give my critique let me first say that you are a total badass in magic. I find myself marveling how you work. And i aim for reactions and stuff like yours. I think i'm getting there do, just working on a formal routine man.

I once had a wix site, i soon took it down. but instead of putting down your site. If you want something to work aroudn until you have the money to do whats needed. do what i'm doing. I got this guy by the anme of Efa Dunstan(u know the name) working on my site. it's kinda like your own domain name. it can be something like this:"www.z-magic.co.cc" go through webs and work it...or you can hit up Efa and get him to do your site as well.....

for what you got on your site, its better than my wix anyday.....

but seriously tho, its not the site that makes the magician. Its the magician that makes the site.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
hey Zac, before i give my critique let me first say that you are a total badass in magic. I find myself marveling how you work. And i aim for reactions and stuff like yours. I think i'm getting there do, just working on a formal routine man.

I once had a wix site, i soon took it down. but instead of putting down your site. If you want something to work aroudn until you have the money to do whats needed. do what i'm doing. I got this guy by the anme of Efa Dunstan(u know the name) working on my site. it's kinda like your own domain name. it can be something like this:"www.z-magic.co.cc" go through webs and work it...or you can hit up Efa and get him to do your site as well.....

for what you got on your site, its better than my wix anyday.....

but seriously tho, its not the site that makes the magician. Its the magician that makes the site.

Well, thanks for the awesome comments! I don't know if I am that good, but hey, I'm not here to judge haha. I'll check out efa. thanks dude!

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Wix is an interesting concept, and for my site it seems to be fairly seo friendly (even though it is under construction still).

I agree with rev's feedback. Some things that I would think about if you are going to go with wix:
-what do you want to accomplish with your website?
-Does this design help accomplish the image you want?
-Your main picture is fuzzy/dark and I cannot recognize you
-Your contact page says "SUBECT LINE MUST SAY "SHOW BOOKING" OR I WILL NOT REPLY >>Get rid of that! You want it to be easy for clients to contact you.
-There are a few pages that you are not using, so get rid of them (tour dates/contact etc) Add them once they are ready.
-I have found that wix's customer service is not stellar. Just be prepared. Someone also suggested Yola.com was a good place to do an affordable site

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
"Zac Eckstein (Z-Magic) has been performing for years. He has done childrens birthday parties, Stand-up shows, stage shows as well as his specialty, close-up magic which is modernly called "Street Magic". His hobbies include listening to music as well as writing and creating his own. He loves watching football, GOOOOO COWBOYS! He also loves videography. Zac Eckstein was born and raised in McAllen Texas down in the Rio Grande Valley. In his opinion, Wing Stop is the greatest restaurant ever made. He loves to hang out with his friends along with family at holiday get togethers. He did his first professional show 3 yrs ago and hasn't looked back since. Check oyt the "Events & Tour Dates" tab to see if he is coming to your town! Well, that is pretty much Z-Magic in a nutshell. Have a great day"

1: "children's birthday parties" : apostrophe
2: "stand-up shows," "S" -> "s" : don't need to capitalize
3: "close-up magic" and "street magic" are two completely different things.
4: "3 years" "yrs" -> "years": spell out the word
5: "hasn't looked back since." heh??? why? You should always remember your first show and learn from it. Should probably do more research and use English expressions with meanings that you actually understand.
6. "check out" "oyt" -> "out": spelling

Lastly, sometimes you say "he" and other times you say "Zac Eckstein," and sometimes you say "Z-Magic." Consistency would be nice, and the easiest way to do this is to not talk in the third person. Just say "I".

Not sure if you are wanting this to be your "magic website" or just your "personal website." If you want this to be your "magic website" then as a prospective client, I really don't care that you like to watch football or like Wing Stop.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
"Zac Eckstein (Z-Magic) has been performing for years. He has done childrens birthday parties, Stand-up shows, stage shows as well as his specialty, close-up magic which is modernly called "Street Magic". His hobbies include listening to music as well as writing and creating his own. He loves watching football, GOOOOO COWBOYS! He also loves videography. Zac Eckstein was born and raised in McAllen Texas down in the Rio Grande Valley. In his opinion, Wing Stop is the greatest restaurant ever made. He loves to hang out with his friends along with family at holiday get togethers. He did his first professional show 3 yrs ago and hasn't looked back since. Check oyt the "Events & Tour Dates" tab to see if he is coming to your town! Well, that is pretty much Z-Magic in a nutshell. Have a great day"

1: "children's birthday parties" : apostrophe
2: "stand-up shows," "S" -> "s" : don't need to capitalize
3: "close-up magic" and "street magic" are two completely different things.
4: "3 years" "yrs" -> "years": spell out the word
5: "hasn't looked back since." heh??? why? You should always remember your first show and learn from it. Should probably do more research and use English expressions with meanings that you actually understand.
6. "check out" "oyt" -> "out": spelling

Lastly, sometimes you say "he" and other times you say "Zac Eckstein," and sometimes you say "Z-Magic." Consistency would be nice, and the easiest way to do this is to not talk in the third person. Just say "I".

Not sure if you are wanting this to be your "magic website" or just your "personal website." If you want this to be your "magic website" then as a prospective client, I really don't care that you like to watch football or like Wing Stop.

I am not going to change my things to what you said because I feel they need no changing. My Bio adds a casual feel, which makes it more comfortable for the reader. I am an American born and raised Texan and understand very well what English expression I had used. "hasn't looked back since" can mean you have had so much fun, and that you are now sure in your ways to be a magician.

- Zac

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
Wix is an interesting concept, and for my site it seems to be fairly seo friendly (even though it is under construction still).

I agree with rev's feedback. Some things that I would think about if you are going to go with wix:
-what do you want to accomplish with your website?
-Does this design help accomplish the image you want?
-Your main picture is fuzzy/dark and I cannot recognize you
-Your contact page says "SUBECT LINE MUST SAY "SHOW BOOKING" OR I WILL NOT REPLY >>Get rid of that! You want it to be easy for clients to contact you.
-There are a few pages that you are not using, so get rid of them (tour dates/contact etc) Add them once they are ready.
-I have found that wix's customer service is not stellar. Just be prepared. Someone also suggested Yola.com was a good place to do an affordable site

Thanks for your thoughts. I will be ready to take bookings within a few days. So I won't take the pages out. I will take away "SUBJECT LINE MUST SAY "SHOW BOOKING" OR I WILL NOT REPLY". You're right, It should be easy for clients to contact me. Thanks for your thoughts bud!

- Zac

Not sure if any of this has been said.

Note that much of your problems are typos... these should be fixed, regardless of how trivial they seem. Typos degrade the overall quality of the website.

Intro
It needs a little work.
- Typo: "go to my social netwrking sites"
- Grammar: "sites, Check my photo album"
- Grammar: "Read my Bio" (?)
- The last sentence should be changed. You're asking people to enter, then saying to enter at your own risk? I get it, it's spooky, but something needs to change.
- The title is "Wix.com - Website built by zecksteinz based on Blank Website". Fix "Blank Website".

Short Biography
It's a good start, but needs work. Instead of listing out everything I rewrote it. You don't have to use my version, but at least fix the typos and grammar. In addition, try and be more organized. You start talking about magic, then veer off into interests, then smack in the middle is your birth location.
- Zac Eckstein (Z-Magic) has been performing for years. Born and raised in McAllen Texas, down in the Rio Grande Valley, he has done childrens birthday parties, stand-up shows, stage shows, and his specialty, close-up magic; which is modernly called "Street Magic". He did his first professional show three years ago and hasn't looked back since. His hobbies include listening to music as well as writing and creating his own. He loves watching football, GOOOOO COWBOYS! He also loves videography. Check out the "Events & Tour Dates" tab to see if he is coming to your town! Have a great day!
It's not perfect but I think it's a little better.

Event & Tour Dates
If there are no events or tour dates... why is this here? If it must stay then put a contact link, so people hoping to see you can contact you. Might want to add an "s" to "Event". :)

Photos
- Not loving the font or color... but a nice animation.
- Personally I'd add in more photos of you, but that's entirely up to you.

Videos
Looking good. Nothing to say here.

Stay Connected
- Add in an e-mail if you use one.
- Choose one of the Facebook sites. Seems a bit unnecessary to have two.
- I'd chop off the Video Sites section and put it into the Videos page, perhaps as "More Videos".

Booking Information
Like before... if there is no booking then why is this here? Look, if you've had plenty of events in the past and this is just a dry spell, it's okay, but maybe put up "past events". Otherwise lose it until you're available.
- The contact form is too small and cramped.

You asked for critique... I gave ya. :) Overall it seems rushed though. I'd take an hour, yes an hour, and go through and polish everything. Step back and pretend you're a visitor. The animations and all may seem cool, but I think the average visitor is interested in the content rather than the sparkles (figuratively). If you're serious about making money and having customers, then wix.com probably isn't the best option. Sure, it looks cool but purchase a domain and hosting service and find an alternative. There are plenty of cheap options that are simpler but just as good if not better. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
It´s ok...

I really don´t like the photos...especially the first one..

I am creating a site and I am taking my time to do it...along with all things to do, it´s a profesional photoshot for the site...I won´t be using any of mine...I think you should do the same...

besides I know you have some experience...I just feel this site was done a little bit rush...

btw...I agree to what Tokyouw said...I know you think it give a casual feel...do you want to be hired by a casual client or a serious client? think about it...

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I am not going to change my things to what you said because I feel they need no changing. My Bio adds a casual feel, which makes it more comfortable for the reader. I am an American born and raised Texan and understand very well what English expression I had used. "hasn't looked back since" can mean you have had so much fun, and that you are now sure in your ways to be a magician.

- Zac

In other words, "I don't care that my grammar is incorrect, I am not going to make the changes you suggested."

For your forum posts (like the one I am replying to), it is ok to have grammar mistakes, but if you are trying to create a website that promotes your magic professionally, ignoring critiques when YOU asked for them is simply stupid and stubborn.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
In other words, "I don't care that my grammar is incorrect, I am not going to make the changes you suggested."

For your forum posts (like the one I am replying to), it is ok to have grammar mistakes, but if you are trying to create a website that promotes your magic professionally, ignoring critiques when YOU asked for them is simply stupid and stubborn.

I definitely don't mind critiques, ask anyone. I just don't like a condescending attitude. :rolleyes:

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
Thanks for helping me out guys! To be honest this is more....This isn't an official website, it's definitely temporary. I decided to find someone who knows about html codes and things like that for a real one. I am definitely taking these ideas over to the new site though! So keep 'em coming!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results